Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't procrastinate submitting transcripts to LSAC

DefenderDefender Alum Member
edited August 2020 in General 348 karma

If you are finished with undergrad, and you are applying Fall 2021, and you want to apply early, do NOT procrastinate submitting your transcripts to the CAS. I have been waiting for three weeks on my academic report and UGPA calculation. I am sure it will all get sorted out, but I would hate for anyone to be starting this process mid-September and waiting for this to come through.

Comments

• JLong2020JLong2020 Yearly Member
    7 karma

I also submitted my transcript and I have called my university twice to be sure that it was submitted. I am still waiting. Do you recommend also calling LSAC to check on it?

• DidAFull180DidAFull180 Member
    55 karma

@JLong2020 said:
    I also submitted my transcript and I have called my university twice to be sure that it was submitted. I am still waiting. Do you recommend also calling LSAC to check on it?

It has taken about 3 weeks for my two transcripts to be processed on LSAC's end.

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    976 karma

Where do you see your ugpa average on LSAC? Mine just says 3.0-3.5 is that it?

• DefenderDefender Alum Member
    348 karma

I emailed LSAC today inquiring about its status. I’ll let you know what they say. I don’t know how/if you can see the processed UGPA. I assumed you can see it once it has processed because I’ve seen people post their actual gpa and lsac ugpa.

• AstraneousAstraneous Alum Member
    edited July 2020 29 karma

@Markmark said:
    Where do you see your ugpa average on LSAC? Mine just says 3.0-3.5 is that it?

Assuming LSAC has all your transcripts you do the following:
    1. Login to your LSAC account
    2. At the top navigation bar click "Credentials & CAS"
    3. Below the main navigation bar there is a sub bar; click on "Transcript Status/Add Institutions"
    4. On the right of the screen there is a box titled "My Status", click the link called "Academic Summary Report"
    5. Scroll to bottom of page; there you will find Degree GPA as well as Cumulative LSAC GPA

• 79 karma

If I am going into my final year of undergrad and am applying as a kjd should I hold off until the school year starts or can I submit my transcripts this summer?

• jfpeterkinjfpeterkin Member
    79 karma

@Astraneous I also followed your steps but I don’t see LSAC GPA. I see summary at the bottom and it says degree (summary) GPA. Is that it?

@jfpeterkin The degree summary is your final undergrad GPA, or the most recent transcript if KJD. To the right of that it should have a cumulative GPA and that is the official LSAC GPA.

• pkleehl95pkleehl95 Core Member
    66 karma

@Astraneous Is your degree summary gpa the same as your cumulative gpa? mine is exactly the same on lsac. My degree GPA should be much higher than my LSAC gpa

• MKucharczukMKucharczuk Core Member
    20 karma

Would someone be willing to help me understand how to submit your transcript to CAS? On LSAC do you simply add the institution you attended? Or do you have to request it some other way? Any help would be much appreciated! :)

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    976 karma

@Defender said:
    I emailed LSAC today inquiring about its status. I’ll let you know what they say. I don’t know how/if you can see the processed UGPA. I assumed you can see it once it has processed because I’ve seen people post their actual gpa and lsac ugpa.

O ok good I look forward to hearing what they say.

• 777skyLLL777skyLLL Member
    14 karma

I submitted my request for my transcript on May 31st, 2020 and still haven't received it back yet

@lucky7wy They are the same if your undergrad GPA and LSAC GPA are the same. The degree summary GPA is the unmodified university GPA; the cumulative GPA is the recalculated GPA of LSAC that includes all transcripts.
    Realistically your degree GPA doesn't matter, but if there is a mistake there it'd be odd. I'd make sure, i.e. check your official final transcripts, that the undergrad GPA you think you had is in fact the one you had.

• pkleehl95pkleehl95 Core Member
    edited July 2020 66 karma

@Astraneous So weird. I called LSAC and they said that unless you went to multiple schools or transferred, your "Degree (Summary) GPA" and "Cumulative GPA" should be exactly the same.

My undergrad GPA on my transcript is listed as a 3.8 but both my "Cumulative GPA" and my "Degree (Summary) GPA" is listed as a 3.4. I know that 3.4 is my LSAC GPA since I retook a couple of courses, but I thought my "Degree (Summary) GPA" should be a 3.8

Sigh I don't know who's right, LSAC has been known to give inaccurate information before. Are your GPA's different and did you happen to attend multiple schools? Would appreciate your response!

@lucky7wy My degree summary GPA is the same GPA that is on my final transcript for the university that I graduated from. My cumulative GPA is .005 higher than my degree summary GPA, and to my knowledge, which is by no means 100% absolute, the LSAC is not in the business of rounding GPAs. I have around 12 hours of credits from a community college from dual enrollment courses I took in high school, which I assume is boosting my GPA higher when included in the calculation for cumulative GPA.

It may be my mistake; since my undergrad GPA was the same as the degree summary GPA I presumed that was the unmodified GPA. Regardless, I for sure know that the cumulative GPA is the final official LSAC GPA reported to schools you apply to.

Overall, if you know that 3.4 is your correct LSAC GPA, having your degree GPA be different is really a non-factor because schools are only going to see the LSAC GPA. I do get your concern though because it is quite odd for LSAC to have your original degree GPA be so wrong.

• minuteman98minuteman98 Core Member
    12 karma

I agree with the above statement, suggesting not to wait until the last minute to submit transcripts. It took precisely 21 days from requesting transcripts from my institution, for them to be processed and uploaded on my LSAC account.

• yazminseyazminse Member
    193 karma

do you have to submit your transcript with the LSAC transcript request form?
    Im trying to order mine online thru my school and it doesn't let me attach the form.

• ColdBrew180ColdBrew180 Member
    156 karma

@yazsenaga said:
    do you have to submit your transcript with the LSAC transcript request form?
    Im trying to order mine online thru my school and it doesn't let me attach the form.

If your school processes transcript requests with any of the following companies, you don't need to use the form. You can submit the transcript request electronically directly to LSAC:

National Student Clearinghouse, Credentials Solutions, Parchment, or SCRIP-SAFE

I attended three different undergrad institutions and each one of them used one of the above. I was able to request a transcript through the school to be sent directly to LSAC. They ask for your LSAC ID number, assuming on LSAC's side it helps them file it quicker.

From my understanding, it can take up to 3 weeks for the transcript to appear on your LSAC account. I requested mine last week, so still waiting for them to be processed on LSAC's end, although I got emails from the transcript companies that they have been sent.

Hope that is helpful!

193 karma

@LindseyBNYC thank you for your explanation

• asdnflknlasdnflknl Core Member
    edited August 2020 5 karma

I completed all my courses this July and LSAC has received my transcript. However, my academic summary doesn't have the degree granted date and I am afraid law schools might be concerned that I haven't graduated. My school has approved my graduation but I was told the status of "conferred" on transcript can't be changed until this November. I tried to contact LSAC and they said nothing specific about the issue. I am thinking perhaps I could send law schools a completion letter issued by my school if I am applying for early decision? Help needed!

• jwiltonjwilton Member
    62 karma

I sent my transcript to LSAC a few days ago and I got a confirmation from my university it was delivered, but LSAC's portal still says a transcript wasn't received. Are you guys implying it takes approximately 3 weeks for it to indicate it's been received, or to process entirely? Thanks

348 karma

OK, so to follow up: my transcript was processed. But it did take 2 or 3 weeks depending on when my transcripts were sent. So, my advice is to go ahead and get this process started. Submit your stuff accurately on LSAC and double check with all your educational institutions that the transcripts were sent. And then check in on it every once and a while.

• runner1515runner1515 Member
    80 karma

@Defender Did LSAC get back to your email/is it worth emailing them if I sent my transcript 2 & 1/2 weeks ago? Thanks for the update- super helpful!

193 karma

just to clarify do law schools count the cumulative gpa as your gpa when looking at admission?

348 karma

@runner1515 It is worth emailing after three weeks if it doesn't appear in your account, but make sure you've double checked with your institutions that they actually sent the transcripts.