Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letters of Recommendation

Rob SlipkovichRob Slipkovich Free Trial Member
edited November 2013 in General 33 karma
I graduated a couple years ago and am having trouble with letters of rec. I briefly held a part time job and then opened a tourism company with a business partner directly after. I also did not have strong relationships with professors while in college due to the sheer volume of students in each class. Any suggestions on where I should be looking for recs? Thanks!

Comments

• jamiewong107jamiewong107 Alum Member
    47 karma
    Rob,

I am struggling with this too. I graduated my program with a pretty strong GPA, but my MBA program was online. Honestly, to say that I am freaking out over having no academic LOR prospects would be an understatement. Have you heard anything regarding whether a lack of academic LOR's is really that hurtful or not?
    Thanks and good luck to you.

Oh and also, as someone in your boat, my recommendations would be:
    1. Ask your business partner for a letter
    2. Are there any companies that you work directly with on a consistent basis? Any legal partners? I would ask a colleague who has an important work relationship with you to write a recommendation as well. If your company is doing particularly well your partner can speak to your strengths/dependability if it is doing well and how you contributed, etc.
  • Rob SlipkovichRob Slipkovich Free Trial Member
    33 karma
    Were there any professors that you corresponded with during your MBA that may provide some insight in a LOR? I think we are under some uncommon circumstances while applying. Especially because we took routes that have disconnected us from the traditional path. Thank you for the good suggestions, I will have to evaluate my best available options.

I don't think that your pursuit of an MBA would give law schools a reason to deny admittance, unless the recommendations that you used were irrelevant toward your abilities and accomplishments. I would take a moment and see if you could find a past professor or employer to shed some light on your abilities.
  • cloy26260cloy26260 Alum Member
    46 karma
    While the overall consensus is to have an academic LOR, I wouldn't sweat it too hard... (or maybe I would and I'm just being naive.) I've worked at a law firm for the past 3 years and didn't stay in touch with any professors. I got one from my attorney and actually got one from another intern (who was a 2L at the time) who recently graduated and passed the bar. Moral is: don't be limited to the strict relationships everyone is locked into... Do I wish I had an academic LOR? sure. Are schools going to reject me if I have a decent GPA/LSAT on that basis? Doubtful.

Business partner would be good IMO. Just anyone who can vouch for your character and why you would be a good candidate for law school.

47 karma
    Rob and Cloy,

I definitely agree. Thinking about it with a good GPA, work experience and relevant letters (not from friends or random people) I wouldn't want to set foot in a school that focused on such a bogus factor. So Cloy, where are you in the process now?
  • cloy26260cloy26260 Alum Member
    46 karma
    Prepping as hard as I can for December. I have a 155 from October, but it's not enough.

I have my transcripts in and my LORs in, just need to finish up a little on the PS and I'll be ready to send 'em off.
    47 karma
    You'll do fine! Good luck and congrats in advance!
  • flannerykcflannerykc Free Trial Member
    3 karma
    Can someone please explain the difference between a letter of recommendation and an evaluation? Do I put down each contact as both a recommendation and an evaluation?