Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

43 on the verge of lseeat later!...stuck on 144 score

OG bear7OG bear7 Core Member
edited July 2020 in General 33 karma

So I'm 43 years old, with 2 little ones. Have been a teacher for the past 11 years. I am super frustrated, have been studying for the past 5 years off and on, stuck on lower 40's and with a low gpa (2.5) . I don't want to go to a fancy school, I don't care about that, I just want my JD and pass the bar in Texas. Unfortunately when I was younger didn't take school seriously, no career goals hence the gpa. I don't want to quit but failure hurts and dragging my family is painful, although my wife is very supportive. I can be a performing clown and making a living on the street she'll tell me as long as your happy it's ok. I thought I wanted this but now I have doubts. I want to be a law student because I KNOW it's challenging and will help me grow, and will be something I can use to help people on a different capacity. Teaching has been a beautiful blessing but now I want to grow and I want to know how it feels to slay this dragon! If you have solid wise encouragement or good support to give this dream up please post. I don't want to waste time with inconsiderate responses, I'm too old for that. ha! Also,just started the 7sage courses a couple of weeks ago. Thank you'll I appreciate any good advice.

Comments

• edited August 2020 201 karma

• mrowley91mrowley91 Alum Member
    203 karma

I'm not in my fourties, but I am older than your average applicant (I'll be 30 when I begin IL, and I'm applying this fall).

I started out with a diagnostic of a 143, and right now I'm PTing consistently at the 158-160 mark, although I'm trying to score 165 on test day. I've tried just about everything (Princeton Review course, LG/LR/RC Powerscore Bibles, The Loophole in Logical Reasoning, LSAT Demon, and 7Sage). I think it's important to find what works best for you and try different things to see what clicks.

I will say though, I believe 7Sage has dramatically increased my LG scores. I'm now averaging between -5 - -0 on LG. Repetition is crucial, which is why I believe Foolproofing works.

I don't have any tips for RC because I am still absolutely struggling with it, and it's consistently my lowest score.

I've found the LSAT Demon to be the most helpful thing for my LR score. I've definitely seen more consistency because of it.

Right now, what's working for me is LR timed sections and drilling, LG timed sections, and RC I'm still trying to figure out!

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll kill it when it comes to test day!

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    652 karma

I'm 39 with three kids. I'll be starting at a top-tier school in August. I'm leaving a great salary after 14 years of active-duty military to do this. If I can do it, so can you.

• OG bear7OG bear7 Core Member
    33 karma

Your responses have been very encouraging, knowing I'm not on this boat alone is very good for my sanity. I knew others were probably going through something similar, but it's great to actually read about these real life situations with my own eyes. I feel like my self motivation has taken me so for, but this is very helpful for my motivation gas tank. I for sure welcome MORE if there's more.
    Any other encouragement, tips, venting, or prayers are welcome at any time.
    Thank you'll very much ! -)

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

Hi there! I'm 39 and have been studying for the LSAT for almost a year now, with two takes under my belt. I was a professional dancer and choreographer so this whole process has been like learning a new language. Trying to wake up the other half of my brain after being dormant for so long has been hard and I'm moving through the process slower than anticipated. I'm fighting to score into the mid-150s and am so close, but will have to try for a third time in a few months. Hang in there and be kind yourself and present in the process. It's not easy to start over, but it makes us stronger. Good luck on your journey!