Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to improve test endurance?

alienman1000alienman1000 Core Member
in General 135 karma

Often I take like 1 or 2 sections (timed) and need to take a huge break because I am drained and can't focus on the remaining sections. How do I fix this?

Comments

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

I struggled with this too; really, it's the same way you would build physical endurance. You have to go a little further than your comfortable limit each time. If you can't add an entire section at once without completely losing focus, try adding 10 questions, then 15, 20, etc.

I would recommend making problem sets with the 7-sage tool, increasing in 5 question increments. Once you are able to consistently get through a certain number of questions without losing focus, progressively add more. Just like progressively adding mileage while training for a marathon.

Also make sure you're eating enough before you start lsat work. Your brain requires a huge amount of energy especially when you're pushing it hard on something like the LSAT. For reference, a gram of nervous tissue at rest uses more calories than a gram of muscle tissue does during a sprint.

Also you want to make sure you're not in an overtrained state. I find that if I do more than 3-4 sections on average per day it becomes harder and harder to maintain focus as days progress before taking a rest day.

• I had the same problem. Apart from the obvious things like ensuring I was fresh & relaxed before doing any test, to be honest, the only way I improved was just by practicing and practicing every day. Didn't find there were any shortcuts for me. I still feel fatigued but it's considerably reduced and I find that I'm able to concentrate better for a longer time.

In my non-LSAT time, I also tried to read books/articles etc. (particularly to help with my reading comp concentration). Not sure how much direct effect this had, but my rationale was that any more practice reading/analyzing short passages would help.

One other thing is, since the next few LSATs are likely to be flex, try to get through 3 sections of a test and leave the last one for just a single timed section practice for a later time/day.

Interested to see if anyone else has any tips/tricks.

Good luck!

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    606 karma

Red bull...

• alienman1000alienman1000 Core Member
    135 karma

Thank you to kedharnathshankar-1 and OneFortyDotSix. Both of your provided information is super helpful! Thank you very much.

• Heinz DoofenshmirtzHeinz Doofenshmirtz Member
    481 karma

I saw a huge improvement in my focus when I tried to fix my concentration outside of studying too. I was exactly where you were just a week ago--but since then, I've been turning my phone off almost the entire day, and deleted all social media. I've started doing 50 deep breaths before practice tests or sections, and also try to immerse myself in the activities what I'm doing outside of studying. (For example, if I'm watching a movie or going on a run, I make it a point to really focus on the movie instead of watching it half-heartedly, or on my run I'll notice my surroundings instead of just letting my mind wander).

Not sure if it'll work for you but definitely give it a try--in just a few days it's made such a difference for me.

• DINOSAURDINOSAUR Member
    edited August 2020 591 karma

I found physical exercise helpful for mental endurance too. I jog every other day, one hour each time. It is not easy for me to get tired when studying or taking a test.