Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low GRE but decent LSAT

yeahniceyeahnice Core Member

Hi,

So I took the GRE back in 2017 and got a very average score.
However, I'm currently in the low-mid 170s for the LSAT (90-95 percentile).
A lot of schools require that I send both scores in.. would my 'average' GRE score hurt my chances of getting in to a T14 school?
I'm debating if I should spend some time to raise my GRE score to match my LSAT percentile before sending my apps in.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Messaged you with some thoughts.

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

LSAT matters way more; it's a better test of aptitude in and out of law school and will pretty much override your GRE score.

Also low-mid 170s is more like 99th+ percentile - fantastic bloody work! ;-)

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Wait, some schools require both? My GRE is definitely out of date. I need to figure what schools those are and if I need to retake it fast. My GRE was also lower than my practice LSATs have been thus far. Low 90's percentiles if I recall versus mid to upper nineties LSAT and rising right now.

• yeahniceyeahnice Core Member
    123 karma

@"tallent.randall" More than a requirement of both, if you tested GRE in the last 5 years, you have to submit those scores even if you have a LSAT score! (This isn't for all the schools but some of the T14s require it; the ones that i can think of right now is Penn and Harvard).

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Yeah, my GRE is about 7 years old, so if it is required I will need to retake. I am only looking at Duke, UVA, and Northwestern in the T14, I am assuming it will be a rarer requirement outside of that.

• yeahniceyeahnice Core Member
    123 karma

@VerdantZephyr No GRE"s are actually required so you won't need to retake! And since your scores are older than 5 years, you won't need to submit them either.