Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switch to simulated Flex for Oct LSAT?

in General 58 karma

Should I switch to simulated flex for pts leading up to the October lsat? Or should I keep taking full length lsats? Thanks guys

Comments

• stefunny11stefunny11 Free Trial Member
    8 karma

Where can you find the simulated flex?

• 58 karma

@stefunny11 said:
    Where can you find the simulated flex?

When you take the PTs you can opt to switch to simulated flex

• jacktatejacktate Member
    13 karma

I switched over to flex- it's made me de-emphasize logical reasoning and re-up my logic games prep.

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    edited August 2020 634 karma

@jacktate said:
    I switched over to flex- it's made me de-emphasize logical reasoning and re-up my logic games prep.

the removal of one LR section shouldn't justify de-emphasizing that in your prep. Your accuracy on LR (or lack of) carries the same impact as it would if there were two LR sections.

Call me oldschool but I still prefer the 4 sections - I find it weird having a loose section leftover, and the extra workout is good for training extended focus. Also find it's a good to take a LG section beforehand to warm-up.

634 karma

also OP love your username. It's what I used to tell the athletes I coached lol.

f*kin get at it!!

• chsc3555chsc3555 Member
    66 karma

I switched to flex simulation the other day because, from what I've heard, we'll probably be taking a flex. Seems like more representative practice for the real thing. I can't imagine extra LR training would hurt, but if you're like me, your flex score is quite different from your normal score. I feel like practicing with a flex gives me a better idea of how I'll do on the real thing.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Is your flex score that different? I imagine scores would be more volatile but not that different on average. Is it going up or down?

• zctggbzctggb Core Member
    23 karma

I switched so that I can emphasize RC in my practice

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

Does anyone know when we will find out if the October LSAT will be normal or Flex? Although LR is my best section, I'd be really happy to be able to command+F during RC, which the Flex allows.

634 karma

@chsc3555 said:
    I switched to flex simulation the other day because, from what I've heard, we'll probably be taking a flex. Seems like more representative practice for the real thing. I can't imagine extra LR training would hurt, but if you're like me, your flex score is quite different from your normal score. I feel like practicing with a flex gives me a better idea of how I'll do on the real thing.

on most tests I find that one LR section is kind of hard and the other is kind of easy. Sometimes they're of equal difficulty, but not always. I'm not sure how 7sage determines which section to omit for flex purposes - but if they're picking at random that could be why your scores are different. Maybe one of the mods can chime in on methodology here?

I expect however that on the actual flex test they'll balance the difficulty of the one section that's included. For that reason I generally like to include both LR sections, as they theoretically should balance out in difficulty much like the flex section would - providing a roughly representative score.

(example, on a traditional test if on the hard LR section you get -4 and on the easy you get -2, on the actual flex test LR section you should get -3; assuming LSAC is doing their job in balancing the test for difficulty)

• MrsRobinson1MrsRobinson1 Alum Member
    106 karma

@WouldRatherBeEating said:
    Does anyone know when we will find out if the October LSAT will be normal or Flex? Although LR is my best section, I'd be really happy to be able to command+F during RC, which the Flex allows.

Hi there,
    What do you mean by command+F during RC? Is there something different about this section layout?
    Thank you

• mlefevremlefevre Member
    31 karma

@MrsRobinson1 said:

@WouldRatherBeEating said:

Hi there,
    What do you mean by command+F during RC? Is there something different about this section layout?
    Thank you

They are talking about using the command+F function of your computer to look up individual words in the passage. If you press your command key and F key at the same time it brings up a little search bar where you can type in words which will then be highlighted in the passage that you're on.

• m.i.rivasm.i.rivas Alum Member
    203 karma

I'm taking full-length ones just in case! I figure it can't hurt to get extra LR practice. I'm also taking "experimental" sections as RC sections from other PT's to get more RC practice. And if it happens not to be flex, then my endurance won't suffer. As soon as the announcement comes out, I'll switch over to practicing the flex format.

• MrsRobinson1MrsRobinson1 Alum Member
    106 karma

Okay, thanks! Wouldn't LSAC consider this cheating though?

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

@MrsRobinson1 said:
    Okay, thanks! Wouldn't LSAC consider this cheating though?

According to what I've seen from other users, LSAC is allowing command + F searches to be done during the LSAT flex. I would definitely double check with LSAC before your test date though if it does get switched to flex.