Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Science Passages

I know the stimulus/passage gives you everything you need to know, but I have a lot of trouble understanding and answering science passages in LR and RC. Does anyone have any tips on how to get better at science passages when you have very little experience/knowledge about science?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Drilling science passages on their own is super helpful. Take one timed science passage at a time and BR it the same way you would a test. Maybe start with 2-3 star difficulty science passages and work your way up to 4-5 star. You can also try reading more science articles outside of the LSAT. The Economist usually has a few technology/science articles that are geared towards laypeople.

• ahnendc-1ahnendc-1 Member
    642 karma

J.Y.'s videos are really helpful as well in terms of how he draws a picture of what is happening.

Often under timed pressure you don't have the luxury of going into the same amount of depth but sometimes a quick chicken scratch drawing of the different moving pieces is super helpful; this will give your mind something to grab onto so you can focus on the important parts of the stimulus/passage (the logical structure) instead of trying to keep of the intentionally confusing details straight. I'll do this for those 1-2 difficult science MSS question per PT and usually with success.

The good news here is that once you are able to grasp the subject matter of what is going on, often times the logical complexity is not that bad!

• sa12gillsa12gill Member
    edited August 2020 78 karma

I had some difficulty with science passages at first, but after some time I realized that reading for every deatail in the first read in a passage is a bad strategy. Instead, I just skim passages for reasoning structure, to get a hang of where the information is, and be introduced to what the passage is about. I spend about 2 minutes or less doing this and then just jump into the questions. I look for proof in the text for each question. This strategy has really helped my science passage scores.