Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic games problem sets vs ptests

Logic games will be the death of me. I go between -8 and -10 on every practice test, even worse on my lowest tests. Yet, even if i do the game section directly after i'm done the practice test without watching explanations or looking at the answers I can typically get them all right even under timed conditions. I have been drilling constantly and this is always the case, once I see the game I'm fine but new ones often send me for a loop. What do i do!! #Help

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Try to do some new games untimed and take your time writing out all of the rules and inferences, drawing all of the possible game boards, etc

• ahnendc-1ahnendc-1 Member
    642 karma

How many games have you FP'd? The issue might have something to do with a lack of familiarity with all of the different variations of the types of games.

You know you're in a good spot when a lot of the games you see on a fresh PT either fall into a super cookie cutter mold that you instantly recognize (basic In-Out/simple sequencing/etc) or you can easily say to yourself "ah, yes this is JUST like that one game with the mayor and political parties!"

• 36 karma

@ahnendc-1 thanks for the response! I have done all games from tests 1-39 between approx. 1 and five times depending on how many times it takes me to get them all right as well as 12 or so more recent ptests. Hoping this means i will stop seeing 'new' games soon? thanks for the advice :)

• ahnendc-1ahnendc-1 Member
    642 karma

Nice! You're on the right path, 1-5 times wasn't enough for me; it's taken me 10+ times to get familiar with and be able to recognize harder games (and I'm still not all the way there).

Another key thing to focus on is to MASTER (like absolutely MASTER) the easy Basic Ino and Simple Sequencing Games (I'm not sure about this but I bet there is at least one of these types on every modern LSAT). The BIGGEST improvement I saw in LG came from when I focused on those easy games that I would get all of the Qs right but it would take me 6-8 minutes when the suggested time was 5 minutes. Nowadays, I FLY through simple sequencing games in 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Basically, this has turned what was 4 games in 35 minutes for me into 3 games in 32.5 minutes, enabling me to spend a lot more time on the more complicated games.