Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Specifically How to Work through the Core Curriculum?

Olivia PopeOlivia Pope Alum Member
edited June 2017 in General 34 karma

Ciao fellow 7Sagers!

I just started studying for the 4 weeks ago and I haven't made much progress. Specifically: I just began the Most Strongly Supported Lesson. I've given myself a year to study for it since I plan on taking a gap year after I graduate so I'm not presently pressed for time, but I don't want to take anything for granted. However, I am not even able to stick with the assigned study schedule. It seems like an overwhelming amount to get through in a day. I am wondering how one is supposed to make it through the Core Curriculum so fast. How do you study? Here is how I study:

For Lessons:
1. I watch the video.
2. I read the written lesson below (if applicable).
3. I go back to watch the video and write notes in my own words in my LSAT Notebook.
4. I make flashcards of the concept.
5. I read my notes and review the concepts in my mind, trying to internalize what I just learned.
6. Then I move on to the next lesson and repeat.

For Practice Problems
1. I work the problem myself by writing out it out according to the LR Flowchart.
2. I write out why each answer is wrong or correct and select my answer choice.
2. I watch the video.
3. If right: I write out more reasons as to why the answers were wrong or right.
If wrong: I think why it was wrong and try to cement that reasoning in my mind. Then I write out the explanation as to why that answer choice was right ans why my answer choice was wrong.

With this method, I've been studying about 4 hours every day and covering 1 lesson in 3-4 days. Should I be studying like this? This is how I usually study in college so I just applied it here. But I've been reading on the forum and a lot of people are really making some significant progress with the core curriculum. Would you mind sharing how you study on a daily basis? Like do you take notes, do you just watch the video, read the notes and move on? How do you ensure you are understanding and retaining what you are learning? What do you do? Any advice/suggestions will be helpful!

Thanks much :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Hi there!

Welcome to 7Sage :)

I'm happy to hear you've given yourself plenty of time to prep, that is probably the best thing you can do for yourself at this point; plan for the long run!

I think you strategy for lessons seems pretty damn solid!

When doing the practice problems try to do them timed first, then blind review them afterwards, which is similar to what you're doing to begin with. If you know the LR flowchart don't feel like you have to write them out according to that every time, tough it probably is good practice if you still are trying to internalize the order in which to tackle LR questions. Also, try to do as much of the reasoning as you can during the blind review phase BEFORE watching JY's explanation. It's too easy to trick ourselves into thinking we understand something if we watch the videos before we do that.

Lastly, you don't necessarily want to study for this test like you did in College. When I began studying I basically figured I would transfer my study skills from college to the LSAT. It was a big mistake for a myriad of reasons, the most important being that this is a test of applying skills and not rote memorization and regurgitation like many of my college courses.

I was able to get through the CC in about 6 weeks or so at a clip of 4 hours a day. Here is what my schedule looked like:

1. Watch/Read the lesson
    2. Jot down some notes to make sure I was paying attention and understanding lesson
    3. Complete problem sets
    4. Blind review problem sets
    5. Watch JY's explanation and take notes regarding how to not same mistakes going forward.

Also, If you're having trouble keeping up with the study schedule, you can always adjust it. After all, you've given yourself a year which is an ample amount of time, especially if you are studying 4 hours a day.

Good luck!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Also, don't feel compelled to necessarily complete each and every question in the problem sets. The first run through the CC is a ton of information and you will almost certainly return to it again. The questions in the problem set are taken from 17-35 and you'll be drilling these down the line. It may not be a bad idea to just do a handful from each section to get exposure and then return once you begin to timed sections.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

Your system looks very thorough, and I think it will serve you quite well. Agreed with @jkatz1488 that it's not necessary to complete every problem set. In fact, I think it's great to save a lot of those for later. You simply won't absorb the entire curriculum your first time through; it's just too much information. By saving problem sets, you leave yourself materials to return to when lessons need refreshing and reinforcing.

• Olivia PopeOlivia Pope Alum Member
    34 karma

@"Alex Divine" Thank you for you detailed and prompt reply! Sorry for my late follow-up. A couple more questions:

• Just to clarify, by problems sets, are you referring to the printable problem sets after the video explanation and JY's examples?
    • Should I time the video problems and the printed problems or just the printed problems?
    • Concerning timing, how long should I time the video problems (if applicable based on your answer to the preceding question) and the printed problems? I would divide the number of problems by 35 minutes however, the number of problems varies per section 25 or 27. Should I choose 1.1 minutes to do each problem (25/35 =0.71 seconds) then multiply that by the number of problems in the problem set? Or do you have a different timing method?

Thanks again!!

34 karma

@jkatz1488
    Thank you for your reply! I was confused about what problem sets were and how to properly use them. I was going through all of them. Now I know to save some for later!
    Thank you!!

34 karma

@"Cant Get Right"
    Thank you for replying! After reading your reply I viewed all the remaining content that I had left in the core curriculum and it is A LOT, so saving some for future refreshing, review, and practice is a good idea.
    Thanks much!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Olivia Pope" said:
    @"Alex Divine" Thank you for you detailed and prompt reply! Sorry for my late follow-up. A couple more questions:

• Just to clarify, by problems sets, are you referring to the printable problem sets after the video explanation and JY's examples?
    • Should I time the video problems and the printed problems or just the printed problems?
    • Concerning timing, how long should I time the video problems (if applicable based on your answer to the preceding question) and the printed problems? I would divide the number of problems by 35 minutes however, the number of problems varies per section 25 or 27. Should I choose 1.1 minutes to do each problem (25/35 =0.71 seconds) then multiply that by the number of problems in the problem set? Or do you have a different timing method?

Thanks again!!

Yes, the problem sets are the printable ones after the lessons. You may not need to do all of them. For instance, if there are 19 Flaw problem sets, do as many as you need to get comfortable doing them and understand the mechanics behind them. Once you're getting around 4 or 5 correct per set on the easy, medium, and hard, you're probably ready to move on. Save some for drilling later one as well!

Yes, you should do them all timed. Then blind review them (untimed) and write out explanations for them before reviewing JY's explanations for the problem sets.

RE: Timing. This is hard to say because while a main point question takes 40 seconds a harder Parallel method of reasoning question can take 2 minutes. I'd say a safe average is to time yourself using a clock that counts up: http://www.online-stopwatch.com/large-stopwatch/

And then aim for whatever your math works out to be but don't stop if you're not done with the problem. Just make note of how long it took and where you were when time "ran out," so to speak.

No problem! Happy to help as always :)

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Soooo I am DEFINITELY stealing your study habits!

• MarClaAveMarClaAve Member
    123 karma

Is it necessary to watch the video for every problem in the set even if you got it right?

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@"Marie Avery" said:
    Is it necessary to watch the video for every problem in the set even if you got it right?

Definitely not. Only watch the ones that give you trouble, right or wrong. Watching everything will take way too long

• MarClaAveMarClaAve Member
    edited June 2018 123 karma

@JustDoIt
    Okay thank you thats what I was thinking but I didn't want to skimp through!

• lobell79lobell79 Alum Member
    146 karma

Not sure if this will get to those preceding me as these posts look old, but wanted to express my gratitude for answering some of the nuts and bolts questions I'm running into about method. On another note, didn't quite realize the depth and strength of this community and the positive support that appears to be genuine, strong and capable.