Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Advice!

LawHokageLawHokage Yearly Member
in General 129 karma

Hello 7sagers,

I am a graduating senior this Fall 2020 and I wanted to ask how you guys are able to balance a rigorous workload (school, work, etc..) and study for the LSAT as well. I've been able to study consistently these past couple of weeks because of summer classes being pretty lax, but as the school year picks up its going to become more difficult. I'm a little anxious because of how the semester might be, so I'm reaching out for advice. I have a couple of questions down below you can answer, but if you have any other advice you can offer don't hesitate to drop a comment! Thanks for all your help and I appreciate it in advance.

What were ways you used to relieve stress?

What were some metrics you used to measure your growth?

How do you maintain a healthy work - life balance?

Comments

• GoVaCaMaDaAqNeGoVaCaMaDaAqNe Alum Member
    118 karma

expectation management, gratitude and mindfulness meditation
    hire a tutor (or get an accountability or study buddy) for weekly (regular) checkins to keep you on track and an outlet to tackle difficult issues
    exercise and eat well as well as maintaining a somewhat regular sleep schedule

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Three sections on three different skill sets is a bit like three tests in one so planning for a long journey and maintaining a never give up mindset.

• LawHokageLawHokage Yearly Member
    edited August 2020 129 karma

@GoVaCaMaDaAqNe Thanks for these tips! I have always been terrible at maintaining proper balance when it came to my actual health. I've learn that the more I focused on being healthy and present the better my results were! Do you have any recommendations on how to be more mindful as well? I have been meditating a lot recently and it has done wonders for my mental anxiety.

@lsatplaylist I see your point! But my question is how do you maintain this "never give up" mindset when you have other obligations(classes, maintaining a social life, preparing to graduate, exercise, etc..)

• GoVaCaMaDaAqNeGoVaCaMaDaAqNe Alum Member
    edited August 2020 118 karma

There are alot of mindfulness techniques on line. But i simply will focus on a positive phrase or affirmation and breath slowly for a few minutes at a time, especially when i am feeling anxious, in and out, just paying attention to the physical sensations i am having along with the positive phrase or affirmation.
    also, just like you mentioned--being more present, in the moment--because that is essentially what mindfulness is--paying attention to the NOW as opposed to being depressed about the past or anxious about the future. Let everything go and focus on you and how you are feeling. being aware of your feelings in the moment is a huge part of controlling and regulating your feelings.
    Doing this throughout the day when you dont feel emotionally present or at certain scheduled times helps me stay focused on my goals.
    WRT maintaining a never give up attitude....that is simply stubbornly never giving up on working towards your goals. no matter how many times you fail. its not complicated, just keep at it.
    WRT balance: IDK if there is such a thing---haha--life itself is unsettling and at times you will have more time to do one thing than another. sometimes you'll get more sleep and sometimes you won't. sometimes you'll miss a workout and sometimes you dont eat. try to keep a routine obviously, wouldnt that be nice to stay on schedule, but be flexible.
    I have a wife and 4 kids and work full time---its hard balancing all of that on top of trying to study....just fit it in where you can 15 min here 2 hours there....try to maintain balance and good health, dont give up, tell yourself that you are worthy of the endeavor and that everyday is an adventure where there will be ups and downs.
    work hard, play hard, sleep hard
    you're gonna do great

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

The above, and just saying no matter what happens in my life, I may take breaks to attend to other obligations and I may get frustrated, but I won't give up.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Stress - exercise + good diet
    Metric - PTs
    Balance - take breaks!!!!

• CRISPR24CRISPR24 Alum Member
    edited August 2020 262 karma

Hi there, just came across this post and thought I would chime in. I think being a lawyer would be in anyway a demanding job, which could require us balance out the unnecessary stress from time to time. But isn’t that the very challenge that all of us take on? Considering you have other important obligations going on, I would first suggest having a priority list of things you have in the plate and rank LSAT studying accordingly, think about the time you CAN allocate to LSAT study; second, build a study plan for yourself based on the time you can spend on LSAT, or seek advice from tutors here on 7 Sage to build a plan for you; furthermore, set a realistic goal for each stage and just to make sure you hit the goal incrementally. Take it easy during this process, as you will only see the improvement after you really put the time and work in.
    LSAT for most people is a lengthy journey, but I think if you have that belief and very reason to pursue a legal career, just for yourself, but not for other people’s expectations, you will be able to make it!