Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to use lawgic...

AmandaLSATAmandaLSAT Yearly Member

Hello!

I've gotten fully immersed into most of the LR lessons and have been working through problem sets for practice. I'm finding it challenging to identify when to use lawgic (ie. when it will be helpful vs when it's not really a great use of time). For example, the MBF question, I did not use lawgic to identify the correct answer choice. It probably would have taken me much longer to work through using lawgic, whereas I identified the AC in like 30 sec without it. So, I'm wondering if anyone else is struggling with when to use lawgic in questions, or if anyone has any suggestions or strategies they use when reading questions that they can quickly interpret whether using "lawgic" will be helpful vs not helpful?

https://7sage.com/lesson/reproduction-without-sperm-mbf-question/

Also, another lawgic question: In the MBT question below, the lawgic threw me off with the second sentence. When I watched JY's explanation, he says the "whether or not..." sentence is irrelevant and therefore we don't need to pay attention to it. I feel like I'm missing something about lawgic, because I couldn't determine what to do with that sentence. Because it threw me off when I was trying to sort out the lawgic, it took me a good 5 minutes to solve without it. Is there a way to know confidently which sentences to eliminate and which are important to keep when solving these question types using lawgic? Or does it just come with practice?

https://7sage.com/lesson/horrific-monsters-mbt-question/

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

You can tell with practice when to use “lawgic.” In my opinion only 1-3 questions in each LR section really need it. Usually it will be questions towards the end of the section that are heavy on formal logic

The 7Sage CC uses lawgic a lot to get you used to it, but I think even the CC says you shouldn’t use this much diagrammic in LR in reality.

• arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
    edited August 2020 139 karma

I agree with noonawoon, that usually only 1-3 questions really benefit from the explicit application of Lawgic. So far I think I've benefited from using Lawgic with almost every parallel method of reasoning/flawed parallel method of reasoning Q I've come across, unless they are especially easy.
    The other thing is, as time has passed I've become more comfortable with using lawgic quickly in my head without needing to write the translation down. I think that will come with practice too. Then it feels more like a tool to mentally analyze the question, rather than a formal exercise you have to go through with every question. But if it is too hard to apply lawgic mentally, that's how I know I should write it out.