Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Anxiety Is Through the Roof

deo22deo22 Member
edited August 2020 in General 111 karma

Hi everyone! I'll be taking the LSAT on Monday and I'm freaking out a bit. Everyone keeps telling me i'll be OK and that it's just another test. Frankly for me, it isn't. I am recent college grad in Florida. Graduated with a 4.1 GPA, political science student of the year, won new student organization of the year (founded an org for Latina in my campus community), and I am undocumented. This is the scary part. Public law schools aren't even an option for me, only private. I do not qualify for any merit scholarships from any public institution because of my legal status. If you're wondering i've been in the US for more than 20 years. I decided to go to law school because of a forced relationship I had with the law growing up. This included deportations, and separations within my family. I've never been one to talk about my anxiety but I feel so much pressure and I am afraid this will affect my performance. I have been scoring in the upper 160s. But SO AFRAID.

Any tips on meditating?

Comments

• r.e.w1640r.e.w1640 Member
    59 karma

I’m so sorry you’re feeling so much fear and pressure— completely understandable. As for meditating, look up some guided meditations on YouTube! Also check out guided breathing apps (I like breathwrk) and make sure you’re staying active to manage anxiety. Yoga is good too.

• stephanieflores8094stephanieflores8094 Alum Member
    99 karma

Hey. I'm glad to hear other Latina perspectives on this forum. First of all, your story is so unique and beautiful. Law schools want different perspectives and I know your story will matter to them. I would advice you to take it step-by-step. You're already scoring high, so you'll be competitive enough to get a full scholarship depending on the law school. I recommend looking into UCLA Law. They have a few full scholarships. I also recommend looking into Seattle University. They have a full public interest scholarship. First worry about taking the LSAT. Then worry about applications after. Take care of your mental health. Your priority should just be the LSAT for now. So watch a movie, read, hang out with friends to balance studying out. Then after the test, you could worry about other components of the application. I hope this helps. Sending you positive vibes.

• SStaketheLSAT-1SStaketheLSAT-1 Core Member
    33 karma

I just did this meditation -

it was really great and feel like 10 pounds lighter on my chest! You got this!

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@kyliepage2 said:
    I just did this meditation -

it was really great and feel like 10 pounds lighter on my chest! You got this!

wow i just tried it, so amazing!

• SStaketheLSAT-1SStaketheLSAT-1 Core Member
    33 karma

awesome! I change it up everyday there are so many great ones out there.

• amhillardamhillard Core Member
    2 karma

Though this is meant for calming down before going to bed, I love using this short yoga practice whenever there is anxiety building in my chest.

Good luck & stay strong. You've got this.

• Heinz DoofenshmirtzHeinz Doofenshmirtz Member
    481 karma

Hey! While my story is not the same as yours, I also was stressed out for a number of reasons. I'm scheduled for August, but I also registered for October and that eased the burden a lot, knowing that August isn't my only shot. If you are able and willing, maybe you could consider signing up for October as well.

• wheelysmizzwheelysmizz Member
    37 karma

I feel you. I've been having nightmares about test day for a week now.

• CRISPR24CRISPR24 Alum Member
    262 karma

I recently tried Eckhart Tolle’s video. I think he is in his 70s, but this man really pulls you out of unnecessary thought noises and put you back to the conscious place. Try this one, “trending your fear and anxiety”.

Good luck!!

• mrowley91mrowley91 Alum Member
    203 karma

Hey! I have felt a lot of similar anxiety leading up to the test (I'm taking it Sunday), and I've found that walking my dog has been a form of meditation. I've found that when I'm walking, I very easily forget about the LSAT because I'm paying attention to my surroundings instead of my anxious thoughts. Best of luck!

• katie.mac8katie.mac8 Member
    63 karma

The meditation app Headspace has a week for free (perfect timing for August testers) before they charge you for a monthly membership: https://www.headspace.com/checkout?voucherCode=B2C7DMONTHLY.

I particularly like their sleepcasts and their walking meditations. Very best of luck with the LSAT.

• prayerfulprayerful Member
    48 karma

This is the mediation I use:

• 375 karma

Latina from Florida here! Best of luck with your exam, sending good vibes your way! Check out the Headspace app. I'd never meditated before but it makes it super easy and accessible.

You got this! So happy to see you're doing this. We need more Latina lawyers!

• katiecainkatiecain Alum Member
    4 karma

Even though your testing time has passed, I will be praying for your peace! Here is a 9 day of prayer that is easy to walk through, talking about Jesus' desire to take care of us. What a sweet breath of peace!
    https://www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/novenas/p03530.htm