Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subtleties of phenomenon hypothesis

MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member

I've been going over correlation causation and it's closely related cousin phenomenon hypothesis arguments and I realized a very important distinction. Phenomenon hypothesis (hereafter known as PH) deals with cause and effect whereas correlation causation deals with cause and effect over time. Here's why this is important:

Nicole Hopkins has a great webinar in the 7sage archives about weakening and strengthening arguments. She says we can strengthen arguments by showing more data that A->B, block an alternate explanation C->A&B, or block no relation between A and B. I'd like to additionally state that chronology can impact an argument as well. If we say A->B, staying that A did indeed come before B strengthens the argument. If B came before A how could A->B?

The important concept I realized was that in many PH questions the above methods don't cut it. In 70.1.6, 70.1.12, and 80LR1.23, we need to use a different approach: if cause, we want to see the effect. If no cause, no effect.

The arguments say "here's a phenomenon, here's my hypothesis." This is implying a casual relationship between A and B. But if I show the effect with no cause, what happens to the hypothesis? It's weakened. If I show your cause with it's effect, this strengths. Too, "no cause no effect" is a very subtle way of strengthening an argument.

Comments

• ahnendc-1ahnendc-1 Member
    642 karma

@Markmark I recently same to the same realization about how subtly different strengthen/weakening pure causation vs hypothesis/phenomenon questions.

I think this is just another way to say the same thing but what I tell my self is often in hypothesis/phenomenon questions our task is to just find an additional phenomenon that falls within/is born out by our hypothesis (if we are trying to strengthen). Conversely, we would want to find a phenomenon that is contradictory to our hypothesis (if we are trying to weaken).