Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could I take the flex with a personal hotspot...?

sarahisksarahisk Member
edited August 2020 in General 272 karma

My wifi has been cutting out randomly for the past few days (f *ck Sp *ctrum) and I'm starting to get really worried about my flex test on Monday. I had no issues when I took it in July, but the frequency with which my wifi has been cutting out recently has been deeply concerning.

Could I take the LSAT flex on my iphone personal hotspot? I know it can be finicky, but it honestly could be more reliable than my wifi. Also does anyone know what might happen if I lose internet during the test?

Comments

• FlidorinFlidorin Core Member
    24 karma

I can only fear the worst if you lose connection during your test. The fact is, your webcam and microphone must be turned ON during the test, and any loss of video could result in your proctor flagging your exam.
    I would highly recommend speaking to some close friends and/or relatives to inquire about the stability of their connection AND testing it yourself via a web-call on their WiFi (i.e. an hour long Skype/Zoom/Discord call with video) before writing the test. I know it is a pain, but it will be one less thing to worry about come test day.
    I cannot speak with certainty, but I have written the LSAT-FLEX, and the proctors ensure you do a full room scan with your webcam before the test begins.
    Best of luck on test day.

• avaszar1avaszar1 Core Member
    7 karma

You should connect your computer to your router directly using an ethernet cable. I would NEVER trust wifi during a test of this length and importance, since even a second of downtime could interrupt your connection and render your test invalid. Honestly, I never even installed a wifi card in my build - I rely exclusively on ethernet and get 300-500 Mbps DL.

• lilpinglinglilpingling Member
    638 karma

I have a related question- I'm fairly certain this is a stupid question and I already know the answer, but I genuinely can't find a source that has clear information. As long as the room itself meets the criteria, are there any restrictions as to where we can take the test? My house is a major source of stress (and curious cats) for me. Not to mention the fact that there is so much construction in progress that my internet goes out about four times a day (not just the wifi). I'd much rather take it in a proctored study room at the library. Is there anything that says we have to specifically be at our own homes or a home in general? I've been trying to find a clear answer, but the only thing I can find is specifics on the room itself.

• ramiro.a.vel94ramiro.a.vel94 Alum Member
    18 karma

lilpingling, you don't need to be in your home. Considering what you've said, I very much hope you are not.