Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving up on the LSAT?

_sa_2020_sa_2020 Core Member
edited August 2020 in General 70 karma

Hi all! The discussion title is somewhat depressing, but I'm genuinely interested in what people think. Law school has always been my plan from undergrad - now (1 year out of school), but I'm really struggling with the LSAT, to the point where I think I might just not be a good fit for law school and the work of a lawyer.

To give you some context, I started 7sage's CC and skimmed Powerscore's books last august and finished it throughout the year while working full-time. After that, I did Cassidy's Loophole book. I wasn't totally committed to studying because I was overwhelmed with my day job, but once covid hit, I had more time, so I started PTing in April 2020. Since then, I think I've gone through around 40-50 PTs as both drills and BR (for RC, I did all the passages from PT 1-70). My diagnostic PT was a 154 and then after CC, Powerscore, Cassidy, it was a 158. I peaked at a 167 in one of the earlier tests, but my average would have to be a 159-160 (LR - 8, LG -2, RC -10). Because my GPA hits right at the median, if I were to go to a school that I think is worth it, I'd have to score at least a 169, which I'm far from hitting.

I'm feeling extremely discouraged and studying just isn't enjoyable at all. A youtuber (who went to SLS) noted in one of her videos that the LSAT is similar to the kind of work/studying you'll do in law school, and I'm wondering maybe I'm just not cut out for law and should just cut my losses and pivot to a different career altogether.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts or questions I should be reflecting on...

Comments

• DPachecoDPacheco Core Member
    edited August 2020 17 karma

I definitely understand your reservations and the beast that the LSAT is. However, not everyone is geared for self-study -- especially coupled with the purposeful confusion techniques that the LSAT writers use. You might consider a tutor if you haven't.

I'm not sure how similar LSAT studying is to actual legal work. I'm sure there's some overlap in verbosity and poorly-written case summaries and the like but overall I would hesitate to think that the daily LSAT studying is perfectly or even semi-perfectly parallel with law school studying and subsequent legal work. But really, I'm talking out of my ass, so if there's a practicing lawyer or current law student that wishes to correct me, then be my guest.

If your dream is to go to law school, then you'll make it work. LSAT is a means to an end and is a very difficult test. I've scored anywhere from 145-174 and can say I started at almost zero when I began studying. I didn't know what the fuck an argument was or how to attack conclusion/premise relationships. Sometimes you just have to change your approach. A tutor could possibly help you identify gaps in your understanding, and for all we know, it could be a few simple tweaks.

Also, give yourself a break and be kind to yourself. Working a full-time job while studying for this shit sucks. If you haven't, try altering you study schedule to different times of the day. Study when you feel the most "fresh" and don't force it.

Best of luck and hang in there.

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

Yeh I totally agree with everything said above. I think about other majors but they all require an entrance exam (i.e.: GRE -another intensive and strictly timed exam).

I have a Psychology BA and an English masters - (almost finished). Both options require me to do more schooling/ standardized tests.

Honestly even working in fast food 8 hrs a day feels stressful . Everything is hard unfortunately.."Choose your hard" I guess some would say.

At least lawyers can expect to make 6 figures unlike the above degrees I mentioned.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I know exactly how you feel. I started out at a 156 post CC and I thought I never was going to get to my goals. I know you think its impossible but its really not. We had similar scores post CC and I improved quite a bit. I think its a combination of willpower and the right kind of studying. I dont think you should give up. We only live once and you should use that chance to pursue your dreams.

With that being said, I have to qualify that advice. What kind of a financial situation are you in? If you are totally burned out/not able to put in the work required, and finances are short, im not sure continuing the journey is the way to go.

You CAN be not cut out for the LSAT yet do great in law school. But they do say LSAT scores are a strong indicator of 1L grades. Obviously we wont be doing logic games when we are lawyers, but the skills might be somewhat transferable.

I dont know what else to say. If I were you, I would think about how much you want to go to law school. Even when I was stuck at a plateau for months in the 150s, I STILL enjoyed studying. I think whether or not you are doing well on the LSAT, not enjoying it at all is a bad sign

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

Enjoying studying? Bless your heart, no wonder you scored so high.
    I enjoy eating, sleeping, and shopping lol

• Frenchy555Frenchy555 Live Member
    edited August 2020 393 karma

Pretty sure I just bombed the Flex about 10 minutes ago lol. You know you're the only person that can answer this question. I'm 100% positive you'll eventually be able to hit your target but it will take a while and only you can measure if that sacrifice is worth wile. Also, I have never once heard that the Lsat is similar to law school. The only similarity I see in both is that doubting yourself will make it pointlessly harder. If you want motivation go look at the dropout %'s at law schools across the country, low is common. If you end up enrolling you might not be top of your class but unless you decide to go batshit commando crazy, you're probably going to graduate. Your feeling of failure now will be insignificant to the realization that you gave up on your dreams. So ask yourself if this is your dream.

• DefenderDefender Alum Member
    348 karma

So, you wouldn't be interested in pursuing a legal career if it doesn't entail going to a top school? Thats what I'm getting from the 169 comment. The answer to that question is probably relevant to your goals and interests.

• _sa_2020_sa_2020 Core Member
    70 karma

thank you for the comments -- appreciate it. I think the root of this dilemma stems from my complete lack of motivation to study now, and that made me reflect more about a potential legal career and whether or not I did indeed want to pursue it after years of blindly thinking that I wanted to become a lawyer.

thanks all
    - s