Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

INTERRUPTED DURING EXAM

deo22deo22 Member
in General 111 karma

Was anyone else interrupted during the exam? I began my exam with reading comprehension. I tend to go -3/-4 on this section. I read the first passage and move on within four minutes. During the second passage, I was reading the second paragraph when all of a sudden my exam closed. I know that it was NOT my connection because I was on google chrome which was functioning perfectly, and my sister was in class, also using our WiFi.

I FREAK OUT

All of a sudden, my proctor says "we lost connection" but on who's end because it surely was not mine. I begin the test AGAIN, and start where I left off. At this point, I re-read the second passage because I had forgotten what I had read. I'm trying to relax when all of a sudden I receive an INCOMING call from a woman, I assume she's LSAC staff because she was not my proctor. She says she needs to view my room once again. I stand, show the room, and resume my exam. I have to RE-READ AGAIN, because of the interruption. At this point I'm like at 25-26 minutes. I was extremely frustrated.

I RECEIVE ANOTHER INCOMING CALL...

The lady on the phone says, "do you need a minute?" so you're telling me I WAS INTERRUPTED AGAIN FOR THAT?

At that point I tell her I'm fine, and I would like to resume. I continue my exam when I watch the time and I'm on about minute 22 and I am STILL reading the second passage. At this point I move on and freaking out because I feel like I just wasted so much time. This was my far the worst section because it felt like I guess on so many question.

The following section was LG which was so easy. However, there was ANOTHER interruption. I see the ProctorU icon on the bottom of my screen jumping. Keep in mind, the chat window is on the other screen. I switch to my other screen
(YES, TIME IS RUNNING STILL), and I have a message from my proctor asking me to lower my camera because she can''t see my chin, (I was looking down because of games duh). She responds "great!" and as I am reading to confirm, my time is still running. All of a sudden, I GET ANOTHER INCOMING CALL, where the woman laughs and says "I see you proctor told you to fix it hahaha!" I kid you not, I wanted to cry at this point.

Is there anything I can do? I am so frustrated. I typically score about 165 but with reading comp going this bad, there's no way.

Comments

• Heinz DoofenshmirtzHeinz Doofenshmirtz Member
    481 karma

Definitely file a complaint with LSAC, they'll probably give you a coupon to take a future exam

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

Wow this is a nightmare! I'm sorry you had to deal with such a stressful testing experience! I would DEFINITELY reach out and complain to LSAC because all those interruptions (come on, multiple calls DURING the exam??) will probably materially affect your performance/score.

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@goforbroke said:
    Wow this is a nightmare! I'm sorry you had to deal with such a stressful testing experience! I would DEFINITELY reach out and complain to LSAC because all those interruptions (come on, multiple calls DURING the exam??) will probably materially affect your performance/score.

that's what I SAID! Like how do you expect me to fully concentrate on the passages.

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@"Heinz Doofenshmirtz" said:
    Definitely file a complaint with LSAC, they'll probably give you a coupon to take a future exam

I did. I was registered for October anyways. I'm so upset though. This shouldn't have happened.

• 6 karma

I was entirely disconnected from my test about THREE different times. The whole testing window disappeared and I was so nervous and confused as to what was going on. It definitely got my train of thought off track, and numerous times which is even worse. I think it caused me to do worse than I would have done given the additional stress and nervousness from the test disappearing mid section so many times. The fact that there was even one possible interruption is so unfair. There should be zero interruptions during the test. If it were in person, they would make sure they take the right precautions to make sure there is no possibility of interruptions. I reached out to LSAC so hopefully they can accommodate this issue for those who were affected.

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@"sarah.silbowitz" said:
    I was entirely disconnected from my test about THREE different times. The whole testing window disappeared and I was so nervous and confused as to what was going on. It definitely got my train of thought off track, and numerous times which is even worse. I think it caused me to do worse than I would have done given the additional stress and nervousness from the test disappearing mid section so many times. The fact that there was even one possible interruption is so unfair. There should be zero interruptions during the test. If it were in person, they would make sure they take the right precautions to make sure there is no possibility of interruptions. I reached out to LSAC so hopefully they can accommodate this issue for those who were affected.

Omg please let me know! I also did but they give you space for like 500 characters. I score high above 165 and this completely threw me off. I feel like people might think I’m making excuses but reading comp is one of my best sections. I’m gonna see what happens. This was my second time taking the exam. But now I can’t believe I had to go through all that bullshit.

• Rowe2020Rowe2020 Member
    225 karma

Maybe you looked shady.

• TeamCeel5boiiiiiTeamCeel5boiiiii Core Member
    29 karma

that kind of incompetence warrants a refund. not to mention the psychological harm imposed upon the unsuspecting test taker. sounds like a nightmare. i hope you get a refund, justice.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2020 8313 karma

I got interrupted twice. Have been taking all the flex tests so I suppose it was bound to happen. Once in the chat window and once via audio. Both times the clock kept running. On hold with the LSAC flex line now. If I can get a retake that wont show anything recorded for this test, I think I'm taking it.

Sucks because I feel like I absolutely crushed RC (bees, ethnocentrism)... like to the point I would be surprised if I didn't go -0. LR felt rough, but after RC I thought I could end up fine if games went well. Well games is where I got interrupted, and I just couldn't recover. Probably guessed on 6 questions.

If my only option is to cancel the score, I'll probably keep it just to see the score, but I highly doubt I hit over 165.

Edit: was able to get a cancel + coupon. Not ideal to have a cancel recorded but the coupon is good. Also they offered to register me for October and said I have until the end of the week to change my mind.

@deo22 call one of the numbers dave put up here:

They were very nice and accommodating. I was on hold for maybe 20 minutes.... total call time 32 minutes. At the very least you'll get a coupon in case you have to take again after october.

Edit again: Just read in my coupon email that my august test was withdrawn not cancelled... checked my account and the August test is completely gone from my LSAT statuses. Even better.

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@Rowe2020 said:
    Maybe you looked shady.

that's a stupid comment

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@TeamCeel5boiiiii said:
    that kind of incompetence warrants a refund. not to mention the psychological harm imposed upon the unsuspecting test taker. sounds like a nightmare. i hope you get a refund, justice.

that's what I'm saying! I registered for October earlier, but decided to take August because I was performing so well and thought I could submit my application earlier.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

Wowwww the incoming calls are incredibly inappropriate... When I took the July flex I was one of the people who had severe connectivity issues (on proctor u's end) and i had about an hour of an interruption in my first section. the test took almost twice as long as it should have. i complained to LSAC, no refund but they gave me a coupon that i'm using for october. i cannot imagine getting not one, but two CALLS during the test. didn't even know they could do that.

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@kilgoretrout said:
    Wowwww the incoming calls are incredibly inappropriate... When I took the July flex I was one of the people who had severe connectivity issues (on proctor u's end) and i had about an hour of an interruption in my first section. the test took almost twice as long as it should have. i complained to LSAC, no refund but they gave me a coupon that i'm using for october. i cannot imagine getting not one, but two CALLS during the test. didn't even know they could do that.

NO, I got a total of THREE CALLS LOL. And they were quite inappropriate with the lady laughing on her end while im crying on the other. I'm annoyed because I registered for August to send me application in earlier. I was registered for October and imagined I wouldn't have to take it.

• SandwichelleSandwichelle Alum Member
    234 karma

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I do want to thank you however, for giving us the heads-up on possible interruptions and monitoring issues!

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@canihazJD said:
    I got interrupted twice. Have been taking all the flex tests so I suppose it was bound to happen. Once in the chat window and once via audio. Both times the clock kept running. On hold with the LSAC flex line now. If I can get a retake that wont show anything recorded for this test, I think I'm taking it.

Sucks because I feel like I absolutely crushed RC (bees, ethnocentrism)... like to the point I would be surprised if I didn't go -0. LR felt rough, but after RC I thought I could end up fine if games went well. Well games is where I got interrupted, and I just couldn't recover. Probably guessed on 6 questions.

If my only option is to cancel the score, I'll probably keep it just to see the score, but I highly doubt I hit over 165.

Edit: was able to get a cancel + coupon. Not ideal to have a cancel recorded but the coupon is good. Also they offered to register me for October and said I have until the end of the week to change my mind.

@deo22 call one of the numbers dave put up here:

They were very nice and accommodating. I was on hold for maybe 20 minutes.... total call time 32 minutes. At the very least you'll get a coupon in case you have to take again after october.

Edit again: Just read in my coupon email that my august test was withdrawn not cancelled... checked my account and the August test is completely gone from my LSAT statuses. Even better.

Do you think that's better? I saw someone said they got the option to retake it wednesday this week! If they withdrew it that'd be great. I wasn't told that though ugh

• Jannyboy_16Jannyboy_16 Core Member
    66 karma

How did you get calls during the test? I thought we had to turn our phones off no? Also, where do we complain about the test? is it on our LSAC website in our account or where?

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@Jannyboy_16 said:
    How did you get calls during the test? I thought we had to turn our phones off no? Also, where do we complain about the test? is it on our LSAC website in our account or where?

It said "INCOMING CALLS" on my laptop screen!

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@Jannyboy_16 said:

after you take the test, go on ur LSAC page, and there's an option to file a complaint

• calvinnhobbescalvinnhobbes Core Member
    134 karma

I don't have much to offer in terms of help given that I am taking October's not August but I am literally SO mad on your behalf. The stupid calls WTF!!! And I bet if you hadn't picked up they would have been even worse about it. Just wanted to say you're pretty damn awesome for finishing the test anyway, I would have literally not been able to do anything but freak out after an interruption like that. You totally could have gotten a solid score - don't count that out and if not, October is redemption time!

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@calvinnhobbes said:
    I don't have much to offer in terms of help given that I am taking October's not August but I am literally SO mad on your behalf. The stupid calls WTF!!! And I bet if you hadn't picked up they would have been even worse about it. Just wanted to say you're pretty damn awesome for finishing the test anyway, I would have literally not been able to do anything but freak out after an interruption like that. You totally could have gotten a solid score - don't count that out and if not, October is redemption time!

THERE'S NO OPTION TO PICK UP LOL, that's the worst part! it just says incoming call and then someone starts talking.

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

What if your computer sound was set on mute? Do you think they would have then stopped the clock and interrupted the exam to get your attention?

Also, so sorry this happened to you.

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@Gladiator_2017 said:
    What if your computer sound was set on mute? Do you think they would have then stopped the clock and interrupted the exam to get your attention?

Also, so sorry this happened to you.

it wasn't! I checked

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    620 karma

@deo22 Wow. I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I would have lost my shit if I got interrupted so many times. Crossing my fingers this doesn't happen on Wednesday when I take the flex, but it sounds like an unfortunate common occurrence lol You should definitely complain and get a coupon for another exam.

Also, does anyone know if we can put our computer on mute during the exam? I heard that some people were distracted by proctors who kept talking among themselves even after the exam started.

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@karko2525 said:
    @deo22 Wow. I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I would have lost my shit if I got interrupted so many times. Crossing my fingers this doesn't happen on Wednesday when I take the flex, but it sounds like an unfortunate common occurrence lol You should definitely complain and get a coupon for another exam.

Also, does anyone know if we can put our computer on mute during the exam? I heard that some people were distracted by proctors who kept talking among themselves even after the exam started.

I thought this was a bit weird. I assumed my proctor would be talking to me. But she never did. It was completely through a chat box.

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    620 karma

@deo22 Oh wow. I did not know that. Thank you for clarifying. I always assumed we would actually speak to our proctor. I guess LSAC changed the Proctoru requirements? I remember people who took the earlier flex exams complained that they heard the proctor talking etc.

For the calls, did they automatically go through and people just started talking to you?? Can we complain to LSAC about the timer continuing during interruptions? I imagine they would try and fix that if enough people complained... but honestly, they should have set the timer to pause whenever an interruption occurs.. just seems like common sense lmao

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

UPDATE! I was giving the opportunity to re-take the exam on Friday!

• Heinz DoofenshmirtzHeinz Doofenshmirtz Member
    481 karma

@deo22 said:
    UPDATE! I was giving the opportunity to re-take the exam on Friday!

nice! Good luck

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

@deo22 Good luck! And let us know how it went this time.

• deo22deo22 Member
    111 karma

@goforbroke said:
    @deo22 Good luck! And let us know how it went this time.

I WILL!!!! thank you :)