Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

⚖ Official August 2020 LSAT-Flex Discussion Thread ⚖

Comments

• nscudlsonscudlso Member
    3 karma

@Colleen1029 said:
    To anyone who paid for score preview, finished the LSAT writing and took the rest of the exam: how soon after were you able to see your score? Was it sent via e-mail or did it show up at the end of the test?

I had the belief that if I did LSAT writing and then score preview, I would be able to view my score after taking the test. However, I misunderstood what score preview means. You don't actually get your score until Sept 18, just like everyone else. What score preview allows you to do is have 6 days from the moment you see your score to decide whether to cancel or not. Had I understood I wouldn't have purchased it, yet I'm dumb and didn't read what score preview was exactly.

• I had LG-RC-LR. I felt oddly disoriented during the games and don’t feel like I did very well, but my proctor kept disappearing and I didn’t even get started till 35 minutes after test time. Then in the middle of one, I got a message saying my connection wasn’t stable. It came back in 5 seconds, but it rattled me. I felt like the RC was medium, the space one was weird to me, and the LR didn’t seem unusually hard, but it could be I was finally feeling comfortable again. (After seeing so many people say they were hard, I’m wondering if I misunderstood every single one of them!) I don’t feel great about my results, but I also never feel optimistic about tests. I guess we’ll see!

• BullfroggerBullfrogger Member
    184 karma

You can’t see your score until the 19th I think it is, regardless of whether or not you got the score preview.

184 karma

How long did the stuff with your proctor take you guys before actually starting the test? As in how long after your scheduled start time did you begin your test?

• yooosc123yooosc123 Alum Member
    42 karma

@brandonk47 said:
    just read all comments. seems like same questions for LG and RC.
    RC was difficult for me, but it is my worst section so that could be big factor.
    LG was easy .. got stuck on first simple game i think it was nerves but came back to it and realized how simple it was.
    LR was okay i guess. Had a lot marked but i think because i wanted to come back if I had time. I would say on harder side for LR but again, I think i didn't find my groove as quick so that could have been it.
    LR-LG-RC
    overall, not sure lol . If LR went well for me I think i score around my PT.

Literally the same thing as taking PT on lawhub, nothing else so just take it as a PT and don't overthink it. Im ab to not look at lsat shit for at least a week and get v v sauced. good luck to all

Enjoy king

• yooosc123yooosc123 Alum Member
    42 karma

We need to throw a RAGER with JY

• humza.khanhumza.khan Free Trial Member
    4 karma

@Colleen1029 said:
    To anyone who paid for score preview, finished the LSAT writing and took the rest of the exam: how soon after were you able to see your score? Was it sent via e-mail or did it show up at the end of the test?

Score preview doesn't mean you get your score right away. You'll still get it with everyone else in September. Scor ep review just means that once you see your score you have the option to cancel it within 6 days. If you didn't have score preview you would have to cancel within a few days of taking the test without seeing your score.

• Emily BrodnerEmily Brodner Core Member
    edited August 2020 22 karma

Hi! I took the test today (Sunday) at 1:40pm CT. I had the order RC-LG-LR.

RC (27 questions):
    Comic strip
    Universe expansion
    Microfinance in Bangladesh and Indonesia
    I can't remember

This felt like a blur since it was the first section. I felt like the universe expansion one was a little more difficult, but overall this wasn’t bad.

LG (23 questions):
    Car game
    Students in Sept, Oct, & Nov
    North & South Paintings
    Drawing a blank on this one too :\

Overall I thought LG was on the easier side. I was stuck on 1 question in the last game for a while though.

LR (26 questions):
    I can't remember any specific questions from this. But I felt like I was on a roll until question 11 when my proctor interrupted me. After that, it took me a really long time to get back in the groove again. I also felt like the questions may have been getting more difficult, but I can't tell if it was from not being focused.

I have testing accommodations that allow me to read to myself and get a 5-minute break between sections instead of 1 minute. When my 5-minute timer would end, my exam closed out every time instead of going to the next section. I would need the proctor to enter the password again before I could move on. Not a big deal because they were able to bring me back within a minute, and I never lost any time in the next section.

During LR when I was on question 11, a proctor started to talk to me and tell me I wasn’t allowed to read to myself and the exam closed. I could see my timer still running and quickly told them I have accommodations that allow me to read to myself and was quickly back on. This is frustrating because I confirmed this before the exam started and told them not to interrupt me unless absolutely necessary. I feel like my proctor must’ve changed in the middle because I had been reassured that everything would run smoothly before the test began. Also, I had already been reading to myself throughout RC and LG, so it doesn’t make sense to bring it up during section 3, question 11.

If the proctors are going to change, they need to read the test takers accommodations before interrupting them. If I didn’t have accommodations, things would’ve be been fine. It wasn’t a bad experience, but it could’ve been better.

• Heinz DoofenshmirtzHeinz Doofenshmirtz Member
    481 karma

Anyone have an LR section with Marxism, asteroids, lions and leopards in a medieval play etc

• jbfclaw1jbfclaw1 Member
    127 karma

@Colleen1029 said:

Hey! Unfortunately the score preview does not let you see your score before the release date (September 18th) -- hope this helps!

• mrowley91mrowley91 Alum Member
    203 karma

LG - RC - LR. @"Phoebe E" I was getting worried when I didn't see anyone else have the same sections as me! I thought the RC black hole passage was rough...but then again, this is usually my worst section. I second the games part: I didn't have a ton of time left at the end, but I didn't have to rush through any portion. The last question I knew I wouldn't have time to really flesh out so I guessed, but besides that I only flagged 2 questions so I'm hopeful!

I felt good after taking the test, and now I've talked myself into feeling like I may have done terrible...anyone else?? lol

• 7SageUser-27SageUser-2 Member
    58 karma

@Colleen1029 said:

Score Preview is being offered for the first time for first-time test takers in August. The official results aren't released until September 18th for the August test, provided you already completed the LSAT Writing.

• pawman96pawman96 Member
    22 karma

I had RC- LG- LR. I thought LR (napoleonic wars, art/despair) was really hard. Usually average -2 but felt like I could've easily gone -4/-5 in here, unfortunately. LG (car show, sculptures) felt straightforward, if a bit tricky at times. RC (dark energy, comic strip) felt tough-ish but fair.

• 7SageUser-27SageUser-2 Member
    58 karma

@mrowley91 said:
    LG - RC - LR. @"Phoebe E" I was getting worried when I didn't see anyone else have the same sections as me! I thought the RC black hole passage was rough...but then again, this is usually my worst section. I second the games part: I didn't have a ton of time left at the end, but I didn't have to rush through any portion. The last question I knew I wouldn't have time to really flesh out so I guessed, but besides that I only flagged 2 questions so I'm hopeful!

I felt good after taking the test, and now I've talked myself into feeling like I may have done terrible...anyone else?? lol

Yeah, I felt pretty good after the test. LR seemed tougher than normal, but in relation to how RC/LG seemed easier than recent PTs I figured it was to balance things out. But I don't want to feel too optimistic before scores are released and then potentially be disappointed by what I see.

• alexajgomezalexajgomez Free Trial Member
    9 karma

@"Heinz Doofenshmirtz" said:
    Anyone have an LR section with Marxism, asteroids, lions and leopards in a medieval play etc

I did. The questions you picked out were definitely the tough ones for me. Overall I felt a medium difficulty section with a few hard ones. What’d you think?

• JSSHEPHEJSSHEPHE Free Trial Member
    3 karma

Anyone know where to purchase the score preview option? For some reason I am unable to find it on my LSAC profile.

• johnnytsunamijohnnytsunami Member
    86 karma

@Colleen1029 > @Colleen1029 said:

My understanding is that score preview doesn't actually allow you to see your score any earlier than anyone else. It just allows you a six day window to cancel that score before it is sent to law schools. (the term "score preview" is quite a misnomer in this case)

That being said, I could be totally wrong and would love for others to confirm or deny this.

• ahnendc-1ahnendc-1 Member
    642 karma

Heads up to anyone who has Apple OS Catalina (latest Mac OS). I had some tech issues in the beginning regarding screen sharing. Don't think it adversely affect my performance so this is not a complaint or anything but had to wait a decent amount of time to get it sorted out (nothing too bad, I think like 20-30 minutes). I don't even know what the issue was/how to resolve it but just want to give anyone on a Mac a heads up that this could be a possibility (it had something to do with not having checked the screen sharing permissions for my browser and the other plug-in they use).

Other than that it was smooth sailing no interruptions or anything like that.

• mmarshallmmarshall Member
    34 karma

LR-RC-LG. LR was tough -- got all my answers in but didn't have time to go back and check all of my flags (and feel like i had a lot). RC wasn't terrible but wasn't easy. LG was a breeze. Really not a fan of the Flex format; I was anxious throughout and didn't calm down til halfway through. Feel like a fourth section would've balanced that out. Also let a dude pee, dang.

I am a bit worried about one potential flag: when I finished the test I was looking for my chat window to tell my proctor and swiped over into my calendar app. The test was done, no way I could have copied answers over from the app even if I had tried, and i didn't do anything with it, but am wondering if it will somehow be a violation (even though the proctor took control of my mouse and closed anything he found at issue). I don't think there's any serious reason for LSAC to believe i could have used it to cheat but I've heard of in-person exams getting cancelled because someone pulled out a phone after handing their tablet in.

• amberngrimmeramberngrimmer Member
    7 karma

@Colleen1029 said:

I think they will be available September 18

• ahnendc-1ahnendc-1 Member
    642 karma

Arg.. I had LR (lions/leopards) - RC (universe expansion) - LG (the one with the pottery and mosaics)

@"Heinz Doofenshmirtz" Yes I had the same LR section. I thought it was harder than usual. Did anyone else feel like that LR was particularly hard?? I thought RC was not too bad (no murderous question/passages) and LG was fairly easy.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

Just finished. I think it went pretty okay. LG-LR-RC. LG was easy, a lot of sequencing games. LR was.... odd. I felt like the questions weren't that difficult but I had a lot flagged and didn't have time to go back and check on them. Maybe that's just me. RC was okay, I did the passages with more questions first and left the first one, with 4 questions about American Indian paintings, for the end -- finished reading and answering the Qs for that one in 5 minutes. For RC I had the monopolies passage and I definitely guessed for a lot of the answers. It was kind of a time sink.

• a.n.travisa.n.travis Member
    8 karma

Did anyone else really struggle with the North South game? I feel defeated.

• vinnyowenvinnyowen Member
    edited August 2020 79 karma

Just finished mine...
    Order:
    LG: Medium difficult: (had one game on people verifying or p.. something), verifying transactions, piano/violin recital, and another where one of the game pieces was stenciling.. Overall, probably had to guess on 3 questions, and felt confident on the others (which is my typical LG PT average of -1 to -5)
    LR: Easier side: (babbling and rare & expensive books), probably 2 really hard questions that just had to guess quick on, and maybe about 4 flagged questions.
    RC: hard for me; I had the wolves vs dogs section: I think I spent too much time on the first three passages (perhaps couldn't focus/fatigue issues). I remember the first passage being easier and not many questions, I forget how I felt about the second, the wolves/dogs experiment was my third passage... I had little time left during third passage and still had the comparative passage as the fourth which had the most questions (it was about monopolies), which I really had to rush through, (fortunately, I felt like that was an easier one that I actually could rush through with a bit of confidence), but overall did not feel good about RC, RC is usually hit or miss for me (anywhere from -2 to -6)

• kko9kko9 Core Member
    13 karma

@"ahnendc-1" said:
    Heads up to anyone who has Apple OS Catalina (latest Mac OS). I had some tech issues in the beginning regarding screen sharing. Don't think it adversely affect my performance so this is not a complaint or anything but had to wait a decent amount of time to get it sorted out (nothing too bad, I think like 20-30 minutes). I don't even know what the issue was/how to resolve it but just want to give anyone on a Mac a heads up that this could be a possibility (it had something to do with not having checked the screen sharing permissions for my browser and the other plug-in they use).

Other than that it was smooth sailing no interruptions or anything like that.

I had the exact same issue. Took over an hour to fix, which threw me a bit.

• ellewoods4313ellewoods4313 Alum Member
    edited August 2020 52 karma

Took the test this morning and my order was RC LG LR. It was decent overall, but a bad RC start definitely threw me off a little bit!!!

LG: Much better than expected - I was really, really scared of a curveball LG (I'm usually -1 max on LG, except when there's a curveball question that totally cripples me I freak out, like 89 game 4 for example, so was really scared of that happening. I had the games with stenciling/ origami + printing/ verifying/ piano/violin. I found the third game to be a bit tough but the others were fine, and the 4th game was really easy for a 4th game. Luckily I had time to brute force for the 3rd game, so fingers crossed for a -0 here!!!

LR: Medium/ Nothing Crazy - LR is usually my best section, but I was pretty fatigued by the end of the test so could have made silly mistakes, we'll see!!

RC: Really rough, I just was nervous and not focused in the beginning but also I do think the passages were a bit harder than usually - I had monopolies/ wolves vs dog. I had to guess a couple on the second passage (I did them out of order) because I ran out of time, which usually doesn't happen to me, so that sucked!! I am hoping I got the others right though.

So overall this test could go either way for me haha but could have been way worse, depends on the curve but I am confident that I can do better a second time even if I hit my goal this time, so will probably take November anyway :)

Good luck everyone!!!

184 karma

Did anyone have the passage about legal theories of ownership. One of the more difficult RC passages in recent memory for me. The other passages, as well as LG and LR, were pretty easy though.

• custeaualexandracusteaualexandra Core Member
    edited August 2020 25 karma

• antoniog1019antoniog1019 Core Member
    10 karma

Took mine yesterday (Aug 30) at 4:50 PST.

LR-RC-LG

This was my first LSAT so my anxiety was through the roof on the first section. Usually LR is a breeze for me (-2ish), but this one KILLED me. It had a question about an experiment with kids and water volume in containers. Really hoping the curve bails me out.

RC I thought was very very straightforward. Bees, Rome, Liberal Ecologists

LG was very very easy. North/South, Cars. Finished with a ridiculous amount of time to spare and review... THANK YOU JY

Normally score around low 170s (-2 LR, -0 LG, -4 RC) and am hoping for a similar score here... LR is stressing me out though because I'm relatively certain I did worse on that section than I ever have before on an LR.

See y'all in October!!

• wheelysmizzwheelysmizz Member
    37 karma

LR was very hard. Water volume question... ugh. Throughout the section were odd ACs and stimulus. RC and LG were relatively easy. While RC had some tricky passages, the questions weren't all that challenging.

• Phoebe EPhoebe E Member
    15 karma

@mrowley91 said:

The last two RC passages (black hole and ownership) were definitely tricky, I had to guess on a few. Also felt like there were a bunch of super obvious answers throughout RC though, and the A vs. B passage was pretty in my opinion (was not expecting that). How did you feel about LR? And don't worry, I'm hoping that everything balances out, especially with the easier LG. I feel like everyone thinks they did worse than they actually did.

184 karma

@"Phoebe E" I had the same test I think. The expanding space passage was tough but I thought the questions weren’t easy. That was honestly one of the easiest LG sections I’ve had which was nice, because that’s normally my worst section. I thought LR was pretty standard, there were two or three questions I wasn’t 100% sure about, but I can’t remember what they were now

• julietdeejulietdee Core Member
    11 karma

@Bullfrogger said:
    Did anyone have the passage about legal theories of ownership. One of the more difficult RC passages in recent memory for me. The other passages, as well as LG and LR, were pretty easy though.

I had that one! Also, did you have the bumblebee one? Why is the LSAT so obsessed with bees dancing?! I feel like I've done at least two other practice RC passages about bumblebee dances and I felt like I was conflating some info in my head as a result.

184 karma

@julietdee no I had that one, one about financial services in developing countries, the universe expanding, and and a comic strip. That’s intersecting; I thought they were keeping the sections intact and just switching up the sections, but I guess they’re mixing up the individual RC passages

184 karma

Interesting*

• Does anyone know if our writing section needs to be submitted for us to see our score on sept 18 or does it need to be submitted and processed (I read it takes Lsac 1-3 weeks to process)? I’m trying to figure out if I need to do the writing section ASAP in order to see my score on sept 18th or if I have until sept 18th to do it.

184 karma

It needs to be submitted and processed. I’m gonna do mine tomorrow or the next day cause it says it could take up to 3 weeks to be processed.

• Erakel_123Erakel_123 Member
    58 karma

Hi, did anyone take the test today? Monday, August 31st? I took mine at 1:00pm ET. I had LG-LR-RC. I sailed through LG and LR, but I thought the RC was really hard. The 1st passage was about Indian-American art, 2nd was about domesticated dogs, 3rd was a novel about a case law, and 4th were comparative reading passages about monopoly. I did not even start the 4th passage, I just guessed all my answers :/

• OkabinatorOkabinator Member
    39 karma

Just took the 4:10PM exam!!
    I had LR-LG-RC.
    LR: pretty ok, average difficulty with a few confusing ones.
    LG: super easy, had 2 mins left to look over answers
    RC: Pretty difficult, Indian American Art, Dogs and Wolves, Case about heredity, and then comparative about laws and monopolies. Case about heredity was super confusing i think. Rushed a bit but was able to get to all the questions.
    Im not sure how i did, but good luck to everyone taking it!

• 13 karma

Took mine. I had some difficulties logging in to LSAC, and with some of my surroundings. Thankfully my proctor was very understanding. No disconnection issues or being interrupted.
    I got RC/LR/LG. RC was very hard for me (comic strip, dark energy, Bangladesh, ownership rights). I'm usually pretty good at RC but I was struggling with almost every passage ugh. So it started off bad.
    LR was medium difficulty (something about coffee and heart disease idk).
    LG was literally the easiest set of questions ever (verifying transactions, performances with piano and violins). The third was a bit harder (barely), the rest were very standard. Someone mentioned it earlier, but the 4th game was shockingly easy for a 4th game. I definitely could have gotten -0. It was my first time ever finishing a Logic Game section minutes early and having time to check my answers.
    Good luck everyone!

• 13 karma

@Bullfrogger said:

I took mine today at 12. The RC was literally the hardest. I could not understand the ownership one, and the dark energy one just had me confused. Yet, the LG was extremely easy, so it should balance it out I hope.

• lawlawlandlawlawland Alum Member
    edited September 2020 66 karma

@Erakel_123 said:
    Hi, did anyone take the test today? Monday, August 31st? I took mine at 1:00pm ET. I had LG-LR-RC. I sailed through LG and LR, but I thought the RC was really hard. The 1st passage was about Indian-American art, 2nd was about domesticated dogs, 3rd was a novel about a case law, and 4th were comparative reading passages about monopoly. I did not even start the 4th passage, I just guessed all my answers :/

I took the test Saturday and had LR-LG-RC with the same RC passages. Literally the exact same experience I had. I breezed through the LR and LG and was feeling great about the test but felt awful about the RC. Hopefully this was a common enough experience that the curve will be generous. I'm sure you did better than you think!!

• jarred.williams99jarred.williams99 Alum Member
    34 karma

@jbfclaw1 said:
    Just took the test for the first time. LR was straighforward, nothing crazy with games (3/4 out of 5 difficulty) but RC WAS HARD. Usually my best section so I'm a little bummed...hoping for the best.

To anyone taking this test or a future test for the first time -- CONFIDENCE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND. Study hard, focus during the test, and be confident you will apply your skills on the test itself.

All love <3

I thought RC was brutal as well. All the topics were incredibly boring (to me, at least). In my situation it was very tough to get through the first 3 sections. By the time I got to the last section, which I thought was likely the easiest, I had like 4 min left. Classic mistake. FML.

34 karma

@wingustin said:
    Hey, does anyone know how much the testing process is directed by the proctor? I'll be using foam earplugs (I live on a busy street) and was wondering what I would miss out on from not hearing the proctor.

My proctor didn't verbalize a single time. All of the correspondence was through the chat box.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

@Erakel_123 said:

I had the same test as you! I started the fourth passage earlier on because I saw it had a lot of questions and knew it would be tougher. Did the first passage about art last, with 5 minutes left on the clock, and was thankfully able to finish it. I definitely guessed a lot for the fourth passage anyway because it was really sucking up a lot of time.

34 karma

@Colleen1029 said:

I don't believe score previewing is accessible for another couple weeks. I purchased it, and from what I've gathered from LSAC's website, I will be able to access my score September 18, and from thence I have the option to cancel through September 24 at midnight.

• tzlatanovtzlatanov Member
    edited September 2020 6 karma

Please tell me I am not the only one that got the most discussed hard RC passages and the HARDEST LR section in the August test? My LG was more than a breeze but the LR was a total disaster. Even though that was my strongest section on PTs I definitely think that i'd get a lot of wrongs compared to the other 2 sections. I have never seen anything that could be compared to any given year. Everything was off with the LR.

• Monsignor JugheadMonsignor Jughead Alum Member
    edited September 2020 40 karma

Took mine Sunday morning.

I had LG-RC-LR(25).

Games included months, interns, North/South wings, and car show. I think I blew this section. It’s a shame because it was not particularly difficult. I screwed up a rule in the first game, wasted a lot of time on it, and was mired in Krabby Swirls for the rest of the section. I’ll be lucky if I only got 4 wrong.

RC passages were Torchy, a comp passage on micro finance, dark matter, and theories of ownership. RC is usually my worst section, but this one didn’t seem bad. The first two passages were pretty easy; theories of property was dense, but the questions were straightforward; dark matter was the section’s toughest, but manageable as far as hard RC passages go. I’ve been way over-confident on some of my RC performances in the past, but I think I did pretty good on this one.

My LR was 25 questions and included periwinkles and bat pups. I thought it was average. The only notable thing about it was that the first 10 questions were trickier than normal. Probably my best section.

I’m guessing the curve will be -7, and that I missed between10-12.

Edited for grammar.

• mrmurphy815mrmurphy815 Member
    91 karma

@"Monsignor Jughead" said:

How are you basing your estimate RE curve? And what does that mean?

• Monsignor JugheadMonsignor Jughead Alum Member
    edited September 2020 40 karma

@mrmurphy815 said:

@"Monsignor Jughead" said:

How are you basing your estimate RE curve? And what does that mean?

Per the power score guys, -7 on the Flex roughly equals -10 on the traditional LSAT. May be -8. It’s hard to know for sure because all of the Flexes have been undisclosed so far.

*-10 meaning the maximum number of questions you can miss to get a 170. For the Flex, it’s something close to -7.