Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to improve concentration

in General 769 karma

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve concentration? Not so much in LG, but in LR and RC I find myself having to read the stimulus multiple times because of not being able to focus while I'm reading it. I can barely sit through a whole PT. I'm not sure if it's from nerves from it being timed or what, but any tips would be appreciated. Study tips, lifestyle changes, I will try anything

Comments

• asahwhalenasahwhalen Core Member
    48 karma

Something that was shared with me is to really start concentrating on things in your everyday life. Don't check your phone while watching TV, reading a book or hanging out with friends. Go on a walk without music. Stuff like that helps put your brain into a calmer state and it has made me better able to concentrate on those sections specifically.

• kelly_9876kelly_9876 Core Member
    144 karma

I take an omega-3 supplement that contains EPA and DHA to help with my focus (along with a balanced diet, exercise and fresh air). It may not work for everyone but it seems to work for me. I got the recommendation from a nutritionist who own's their own health foods store. I specifically asked what could help with increasing concentration. I've been taking the supplement for almost two years now and highly recommend.

• delkhartdelkhart Member
    63 karma

Just want to add that you're not alone in this. Sitting through an entire PT is such an achievement and I sometimes don't understand how people are able to do multiple PTs in one week.

• aszane21aszane21 Member
    350 karma

Try a mediation app (I use headspace) you won't get results quickly but practicing (their lessons are between 2 and 12 minutes) is a nice break from studying. I find that I do better on RC after a session

• allisonlainez01allisonlainez01 Free Trial Member
    44 karma

I have the same problem ! I’m suddenly reading the stimulus & next thing I know a song I heard yesterday come through my head but then I snap out of it & focus. What I do is close my eyes for at least five seconds & fell myself to focus then open them & im offices , try it & see if it helps

• 769 karma

Thanks everyone!!

• An_SkywalkerAn_Skywalker Member
    160 karma

there's a chance that this is a form of mild ADHD, so perhaps it's best to go check it out with a doctor, and taking some medications if it were the case.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

I noticed the biggest improvement in my concentration while going through the Reading Comprehension CC lessons. It was shocking because I was so resistant to changing my habit. Implementing the summaries while reading has really helped me stay focused, concentrate, and get into the zone (tune out noises around me). I found it has consistently helped me to focus on a conscious level that is working on the other sections of the test (and the rest of my day; I'm able to recall things I've read in books and details in conversations). I was overlooking so many 'nots' before and I haven't since.

Maybe review that area of the CC if it might also help you?

• Lej Not LegLej Not Leg Member
    238 karma

After I read the first sentence of an RC passage I literally say in my head “oh interesting.” I’ve done it so many times now that it’s like an inside joke with myself, so it also perks me up. It’s kooky but it works.

When I feel myself waning in LR, I scooch to the edge of my seat, sometimes close my eyes for one-one thousand and go back in with guns blazing. Sometimes I give the author of the prompt a goofy voice in my head as I’m reading their position. Again, kooky but works for me. One other thing: I think losing focus on an LR question is a totally valid reason to skip it and return at the end.

• lilpinglinglilpingling Member
    638 karma

I feel your pain. I focus has been a lifelong struggle for me (hence, me taking the LSAT at 41).

One thing that has been extremely helpful for me is incorporating a "warm-up" into my studying. I recently noticed that it takes me 30 - 40 minutes to settle in and get deep into the task at hand, so I started doing about 45 minutes warm-up/prep before I resume curriculum. First, I take a few minutes to settle in: I review discussion boards, read tips, make sure I have all of my supplies with me, and check the mundane things that tend to distract me around the house (thermostat, lighting, comfortable clothing, even making sure my cats are fed so they don't bug me). Then I do about a 20 - 30 of untimed question sets that don't "count" toward analytics before I resume curriculum. It doesn't matter specifically what types of questions I work on or whether they're new or old to me. The point is, I'm giving my mind and body a chance to get into LSAT mode without stressing about percentages or stats.

Just the act of routine is helpful, kind of like a bedtime routine for someone who struggles with falling asleep. It works well. Within a week of incorporating my own process, my accuracy improved by about 20% in question sets- not because I got better at them, but because could actually focus on the task at hand. More importantly though, I started to feel like I was truly learning, not just fumbling around trying to practice something with a lot of random results.

That's not to say I don't still do some random studying here and there when I find time, but when it comes to dedicated question sets and deeper engagement, the "warm-up" has been enormously helpful. I plan to do it on test day too. Hope this helps and sorry for the lengthy post!

• a1ex_682a1ex_682 Alum Member
    307 karma

I really struggle with concentration too. Here’s some things that have helped me improve:

-Drilling 10 LR questions in 10 minutes daily
    -Daily meditation- it really does help you concentrate because you’re conditioning your mind to be disciplined and focused
    -No alcohol! I’m so much more lucid when I haven’t had a glass of wine with dinner the night before
    -Consistent sleep schedule
    -Exercise. Go for a walk or run in the mornings if possible
    -Knowing when your body is tired and when it’s best to walk away from studying for the day or week

• willwelzerwillwelzer Member
    15 karma

adderall lol

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

So I want to second someone`s thought that it could possibly be ADD. I want to disagree however that it means you need to go straight to a doctor and begin treatment. Even if it is ADHD, (assuming you are scheduled for an OCT/NOCl test) you probably won't be able to be assessed before your LSAT, and if you are you are definitely not likely to have your meds and dosage settled by then. Going on and off medication, depending on the meds, may be really terrible for you study prep. If you have gotten this far in your academic career it seems to me either your ADD is mild and easy to manage with proper sleep and routine or that you just do not have it. Do get assessed if you think it is a possibility, but do not make it a priority to get a doc to start giving you meds that affect your neurochemistry in the midst of your final preparations for a life changing test just because you have ADD. I won't say it is absolutely something you shouldn't do, but do it with careful consideration after talking about the side effects of any medication you are proscribed.

For me, taking a moment to focus between sections helps a lot.