Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Slump? PTs in the 70s.

I've been in a weird position where, after getting -2s regularly on LR, I've suddenly fallen down to -5 and even a -8. This became a trend RIGHT before the August LSAT, and even after taking it, hasn't changed at all. I'm feeling pretty discouraged, and was wondering if anyone might have any tips to fix this.

Comments

• chsc3555chsc3555 Member
    66 karma

Do you understand why you're getting certain questions wrong? Like, in a technical sense, when you look back at the questions you missed, is it clear why your selected answer is incorrect and why another answer is correct? Making sure you understand that kind of thing will go a long way toward helping you correct your mistakes.

Also, I've heard that the 70s and 80s have some of the hardest LR sections, so that probably has something to do with it.

Maybe identifying some of the question stems that throw you off will help?

It sounds like you're really good with the fundamentals of LR, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep practicing :-)

• MomentoMoriMomentoMori Member
    45 karma

@chsc3555 said:
    Do you understand why you're getting certain questions wrong? Like, in a technical sense, when you look back at the questions you missed, is it clear why your selected answer is incorrect and why another answer is correct? Making sure you understand that kind of thing will go a long way toward helping you correct your mistakes.

Also, I've heard that the 70s and 80s have some of the hardest LR sections, so that probably has something to do with it.

Maybe identifying some of the question stems that throw you off will help?

It sounds like you're really good with the fundamentals of LR, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep practicing :-)

Most of the time, I have it down to two answer choices - the right one and the trap answer, and of course, when I see that upon review, it's easy to identify why one was right. The remaining times, I completely screw up, but I am generally able to reason my way to the right answer afterwards.

If the 70s and 80s were harder, that would be a better sign, I guess, since there would be some other cause for missing more. Regardless, I'm trying to improve, even if I do have the fundamentals down, but since the October FLEX is a month away, I feel as if I'm slowly running out of time.

• Wyatt 170Wyatt 170 Member
    33 karma

I'd say trust the process, and bet on yourself. Recognize that you're sharp and know you're capable of -0, -1,-2 performances, and that you might just be gripping the stick too tight. You'll be great come test day, know that.

• 414 karma

If this makes you feel any better, my LR started suffering significantly from PT82 and onwards too. It sucked and I didn't completely recover from it, but you're not alone!
    I started to notice that the language in LR for the latest tests seem a little different and requires a bit more assumption to get to the right answer. I remember some questions that included sentences in the stim that sounded relevant, but just being huge distractors instead. It seems like they reward really really meticulous reading more than ever, and having less of the cookie cutter answer choices. And with the exams being Flex, some tests were from earlier years' undisclosed tests, so the latest trends in LR might not even be applicable. Try not to stress out too much!

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited September 2020 905 karma

I ran into this with a PT yesterday (my LR performance dropped from its normal performance) and I wonder if it's the same issue with the tests in the 80s: that the LR are heavier in logic (lawgic) than other tests that are generally more minimal.

I realized in reviewing my wrong answers yesterday that I need to review translating (and I scolded myself for not including it in my review / drills). Because it was such an eye-opener that I'm not as strong as I think and it affected my answers on the hardest questions.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

Also, PT 75 is a monster if that is the test that really hit your average the hardest.

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    edited September 2020 620 karma

@jludeer If it helps, I found the LR in PT 85 and 86 harder than usual. The answers were trickier in wording and sometimes more vague. On Reddit, people often claim that those PTs have the hardest LR in the 80's and I found that to be pretty true for me as well. I got down to like -3/-5 (I suck at LR) And on those PTs, I got a -8/-10 on individual LR sections.. I did redeem myself on PT 88 with -3 on LR so idk. I think there definitely is a trend in the 70's-80's where they have changed the wording for LR. Concepts remain the same, but you definitely need to be much more careful in reading the stim and ACs cuz there are tons of trick ACs

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I dont think its harder just different. Give it a few tries and youll be back to normal!