PTC2-S3-Q18 Education critics' contention that

Qiran_catranQiran_catran Alum Member

Hi,

I have trouble understanding answer choice B. What is it like to be ambiguous in an LR stimulus? When I was doing this question under timed, I thought ambiguous notion of knowledge was the author does not state whether her example of some Greek philosophers' opinion is right or wrong. So I chose B. Even after watching the explanation video, I still have trouble understanding why B is wrong and what would a stimulus be like if the correct answer choice were B. Any #help would be appreciated!

Link to the question: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-c2-section-3-question-18/

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    edited September 2020 2054 karma

Given that he nearly completely skips over B that is understandable. B says "draws a conclusion based on an ambiguous notion of the word knowledge." I would say the first red flag is that the way in which the word knowledge is referred to here is pretty specific. What kind of knowledge? The knowledge of the rational of calculational procedures. Perhaps that does not deter you though.

Let us assume then that ambiguousness could be assumed. Perhaps the hypothetical contention is a discrepancy between having it memorized and being able to apply it. Whether it referred to the acquisition of complete understanding or merely a memorization of when and where one might use it the argument in the stimulus would be unaffected. It doesn't matter how strong or specific or general the term knowledge is, because it would not affect the poor argument. The argument is poor because it correlates two things without explaining the relevance of the correlation. What would written language's affect on rhetoric and general memory 3000 years ago have to do with using a calculator to learn mathematical computation today? This is not changed no matter how we qualify the initial stated premise.

Does that help?

• Qiran_catranQiran_catran Alum Member
    103 karma

@VerdantZephyr
    Thank you for answering my question! It helps a lot. Like you said, the knowledge here is very specific and I now recognize that what knowledge answer choice B is talking about is explicitly stated in stimulus. Now it makes sense to me why answer choice B is wrong.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Glad to help! Thinking about these questions and discussing them is the best way to get better.