Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finished FoolProofing, still unsure

shannon_beaman1shannon_beaman1 Alum Member

Hey all, so I am just concerned with my actual skill in LG. I just spent about 3 and a half months foolproofing every game I did within the first 35 PTs. Every game that I come back to review and have already FoolProofed, I ace it. Done in time, and every question right. I remember most of every inference, especially for more difficult games. The dilemma lies in the fact that when I arrive upon a NEW game that I have never seen before, I tend to struggle, a lot. This makes me feel as if my FoolProofing was for nothing - just because I can remember every inference that I have already seen, yet still cant make them on my own very well when I see new games. Really stressed and just want to start PTing, as I have done everything I can so far to get to that point.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I would say try doing some new games untimed so you can really focus on making the inferences without the stress. That might help build up confidence - it sounds like you understand games well but maybe choke under time? And then as you do well with those, start to do timed games

• bananabobananabo Core Member
    1211 karma

I would suggest practicing by game type because then you’ll start to notice the cookie-cutter patterns for each game type and what kinds of inferences are required. I don't think it's enough to just memorize the inferences; I think it's more important to know why those inferences are made and when to apply them.

• BullfroggerBullfrogger Member
    184 karma

I would start doing some full times game sections from the 60's onwards and redoing any games you don't get perfect. While the core inferences are the same throughout all the games, I felt that they changed a little in that period. They start adding little twists that can throw you off a little when you first start, so I think they are good to take a look at. I was in the same boat as you like a month and a half ago, but felt a lot better after going through about half of the sections from 60 to most recent.

• jlewis2618jlewis2618 Member
    edited September 2020 69 karma

This is an interesting contrast from my own approach so I'm curious --- What are you averaging in a given AR section?

Are you stressed because you are not going -0? or are you scoring like me even though we have taken different routes?

I have never fool proofed a game, but i have taken about 35 PT's at this point. My technique is to BR and then warm up before the next PT with the games from the previous PT. So i pretty much take each game 3 times and normally get through the 3rd time perfectly, with a few exceptions. This method(or lack thereof) has gotten me to about -4 per AR section, generally i miss one or two due to random errors that i can't believe i made, such as misreading a stem or AC, and i'll miss another one or two because i run out of time in the last game, usually.

To the rest of you guys who are fool proofing, is this breaking you into the 170's? I have only hit 170 and really wanna keep pushing higher but I wasn't sure if foolproofing is really worth the time investment, or if its enough to just take each game a couple times until it feels good enough and move on.