10 pts below PT avg - #help going into October

mrmurphy815mrmurphy815 Member
edited September 2020 in August 2020 LSAT 91 karma

I got my August score back today (161) and it's a full 10 points below my PTs (range 169-174, avg 171). I'm registered for October and now I'm really shaken going into it. Does anyone have any advice? I've been studying (except for a short post-test break) ever since the August test by doing PTs and writing explanations as review. I'm going to take the weekend off because I feel burnt out and upset, but I'm not sure how to optimize my studying for the last two weeks. On practice tests I usually go between -1 and -3 on LR, -1 to -3 on LG, and -3 to -5 on RC. On the August test the games threw me for some reason and since that was the first section I wasn't too confident for the rest of the test. I'm not sure if it's a burnout thing, a confidence thing, or if I have a shaky foundation that cracks under pressure..... #help #cry

Comments

• Nomads PoemNomads Poem Alum Member
    89 karma

This happened to me last November so I understand you may be devastated.
    But I think the last thing you want to do is let a potential "confidence thing" become an actual confidence thing.
    If you're properly PT-ing in that range (meaning 35 minutes only, blind review, no breaks between sections, etc), you know this test.
    You already have the ability to deal with the typical things the LSAT throws at you.
    The issue may be just translating that capability within the test by actually doing the thing you know to do. That means remembering to calm down and read every word on this test, skipping when you're uncertain or confused, and not losing momentum, etc...
    So that's more of a section strategy rather than fundamentals. So keep at that until October.
    Not sure how many PT's you did before August, but do more.

You deserve the weekend off.
    Remember the 161 isn't your limit. It's your bad day. Don't let that define you as a person.

• ConstantineConstantine Member
    edited September 2020 1320 karma

Could be a technical glitch... idk
    I am in the same situation: 14 points below PTs.
    Probably you had the curve on the test -10 (to get 170 according to the PowerScore podcast).
    Keep study (Section or PTs, and BR of course)!

• Heinz DoofenshmirtzHeinz Doofenshmirtz Member
    481 karma

Sorry to hear this :( How was your anxiety going into the test? do you think it could have been a factor?

• martinxi679martinxi679 Member
    281 karma

My advice would be: try not to lose confidence, find some study partners, and think through your study plan to see if there should be any change to how you study and review the PTs. I was in a similar boat for July test where I scored about 5-6 points lower than my PT average (though it was largely due to some outside factor), but I was able to come back with a 11-point score increase on this August test. I personally changed my study plan considerably and really forced myself to dig deeper into my weakest section (RC). Lastly, trust yourself. If you can do it on regular PTs, then you can do it on the actual LSAT.

• mrmurphy815mrmurphy815 Member
    91 karma

@martinxi679 said:
    My advice would be: try not to lose confidence, find some study partners, and think through your study plan to see if there should be any change to how you study and review the PTs. I was in a similar boat for July test where I scored about 5-6 points lower than my PT average (though it was largely due to some outside factor), but I was able to come back with a 11-point score increase on this August test. I personally changed my study plan considerably and really forced myself to dig deeper into my weakest section (RC). Lastly, trust yourself. If you can do it on regular PTs, then you can do it on the actual LSAT.

Would you mind elaborating on how you changed your study plan from getting your score back to going into August to best maximize the remaining days?

• is.saberis.saber Member
    51 karma

@martinxi679 said:

I'd also be interested in hearing what you did!

281 karma

@mrmurphy815 said:

@martinxi679 said:

Would you mind elaborating on how you changed your study plan from getting your score back to going into August to best maximize the remaining days?

Well I pretty much changed my plan so I could focus on RC in a very deep and through way. I think this really differs between people, because for me pretty much my weakness lies entirely in RC, with both LG and LR being -0 or close to -0, so I started a method where I kinda "fool-proof" all RC passages. Then I tried to make sure my PT environment is very similar to the real testing environment.
    Since your PT average is already high (169-174), I would think that there is nothing wrong with your study plan. It might just be better to put a little more effort on your weaknesses and make sure your performance and confidence on the real test is similar to your PTs. Lastly, if August was your first test, it is very common to have a well-below average performance on the first test. So keep up with your confidence and try your best!

281 karma

@"is.saber" said:

@martinxi679 said:

Please check on the upper post, thanks!

• is.saberis.saber Member
    51 karma

@martinxi679 said:

@"is.saber" said:

@martinxi679 said:

Please check on the upper post, thanks!

Thank you!!

• jennyb29jennyb29 Alum Member
    36 karma

I think the nerves of taking the official test vs taking a PT make a big difference in how you test. I've heard from many friends that their score decreased a lot between their PT average and flex and was worried that the same would happen to me.
    The week of the August test, I woke up every morning and took a flex PT at the time and place I was planning on taking my flex test. By the time the flex came around, it felt just like another practice round. I ended up scoring the exact same as my PT average so I'm really happy with the results! I think it's about the habit and routine. It was a little hard towards the end because it was a lot of tests, but the results made it all worthwhile! Good luck for the October test!