Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

feeling... discouraged

iamtryingiamtrying Live Member
in General 57 karma

Planning to take the Jan 2021 LSAT but havent even opened my book yet (had my heart set out for Nov LSAT). Within the last few months, life has literally kicked me in the stomach repeatedly. Caring for my mother's health who has been diagnosed with cancer, another family member who has been diagnosed with cancer. life is wild. I havent wanted nor had much time to study for the LSAT. anyone can give me advice or more resources for lsat prep. literally thinking about taking off another year BUT I do not want to wait until 2022 to go to law school.

possibly an accountability buddy?

Comments

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

Sounds like you are going through some tough times with your family, and I hope you can find the strength to get through these difficult times. You mentioned that you haven't wanted to study for the LSAT or that you haven't had time to study and that is understandable with what you are going through right now. I completely understand what it feels like to want to take the LSAT as soon as possible, but have life challenges come crashing all at once. Some advice and encouragement is that you should not try to rush taking the test, but really take the time to understand the test and understand the skills that you need to know to get a great score on the test. For some three months is sufficient to get a great score, but it is ok if it takes a bit longer or even as long as it takes for you to reach your goal score. Everyone has different challenges or positions in life so do whatever you have to crush the LSAT and reach your dreams. You may even still be able to take the test in January or later and still get into law school in 2021, if I am not mistaken. Try setting your schedule and following it by getting through the core curriculum and moving forward. Try to follow your schedule and start targeting your weaknesses. I can tell you from first hand experience that with repetitive and dedicated practice, you will see improvement. Also, remind yourself, why you want to go to law school, I know it works because I have had to remind myself throughout these past several months to stay motivated and remember my "why." The process of mastering the LSAT skill is an experience that once you get a hang of the skill, you will find it enjoyable to practice even though it can seem frustrating. Think of practicing for the LSAT not as a chore, but rather, it honestly is an opportunity for you to learn a skill that can get you to where you want to go. Hopefully, you can find the motivation to keep going. You can do it!

• marleighmarleigh Member
    49 karma

Hi, I am so sorry you are struggling with the weight of all of this. Fear not, you absolutely can do this! Try not to put too much stress on yourself, if not the January test, there are others shortly after that too and so many people have taken the LSAT multiple times.

I am willing to be a low-key accountability buddy and could benefit from it too. I have been struggling keeping up with my weekly study hour goals and could use maybe even a quick call once a week or so to just say "hey, have you been studying!?". If anything, maybe we could help each other on areas we get stuck on, I find teaching to be a valuable study tool.

Any which way - just know you can do this!

• Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
    541 karma

I hope that your family struggles resolve, that's an incredibly rough situation and of course the LSAT would naturally take a back seat.

I've got this to say however: I would start studying. Even a little bit just to get a feel for where you're at and how long it will take you to get where you need to be.

Don't do what I did and create some strict timeline in your head that you need to stick to. You'll just creare more pressure and stress this way, and that's the last thing you need right now. I have determined that if I need more time, then so be it. This has taken a weight off my shoulders to some degree.

Attending law school in 2022 seems like a big deal now, but in the grand scheme I doubt it will feel that significant.

Best of luck.