Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice needed: Was scoring between 160-170 in PTs and am starting to score in the low-mid 150s

emilianoromero21emilianoromero21 Core Member
in General 68 karma

Just as noted in the title. I had been scoring in the low-mid 160s, then scored a 170 last week. Since then, I have been scoring in the 150s over the last 3 prep tests I've taken.I've been doing about one a day in the last week since I am taking the LSAT in October. Idk what is going on or how to fix this. I felt like I had a sound grip on the fundamentals and now cannot seem to get back on track. Any and all advice is appreciated

Comments

• npere238npere238 Core Member
    27 karma

Hello, the same exact thing is happening to me and I have been freaking out. I think it has to do with mental burnout for me. I use to score -5 on RC and out of nowhere I got -12!!

• emilianoromero21emilianoromero21 Core Member
    68 karma

Yeah, I was scoring -2 and -4 in LR and between -2 and -5 in RC but have been bombing. I am not sure what went wrong, I fear it may be burnout. The discrepancy is deeply concerning.

• aikoko10911aikoko10911 Member
    17 karma

The same thing happened to me. Personally I felt there were several PTs especially difficult comparing to the others. Not sure whether this is the reason in your case, but the only advice is don't panic, try to analyze the questions you got wrong and keep going forward, it will get better!

• RtahlovRtahlov Member
    65 karma

Ive been having the same issue. I was scoring in the mid 160s but then all of a sudden got a 158. I realized that I was rushing and worrying too much about finishing all of the questions rather than on getting them correct. I just took another practice test and saw some major improvement because I slowed it way down and only had to guess on two questions in the entire practice test. As insane as it is to process, the best thing to do is chill out - stressing does not help.

68 karma

@aikoko10911 said:
    The same thing happened to me. Personally I felt there were several PTs especially difficult comparing to the others. Not sure whether this is the reason in your case, but the only advice is don't panic, try to analyze the questions you got wrong and keep going forward, it will get better!

Did you rebound? If so, how?

• The same thing happened to me- consistently scoring around 168 and then dropped to161-162 two weeks ago. I took two days completely off studying and the next score I got was a 169, and then broke into the 170s this week. Mental burnout is real! Breaks help, even if it feels like you're wasting time.

• Were you always taking a PT/day before? I think you may be burning out from taking a PT everyday.

68 karma

@ruthkhach said:
    Were you always taking a PT/day before? I think you may be burning out from taking a PT everyday.

Na, I wasn't. I was doing one every other day or every three days. I didn't switch to one every day until this past week, where I noticed the massive drop off.

• learninlaulearninlau Core Member
    6 karma

This same situation happened to me, I was PTing mid 160s and taking one PT every two days the weeks leading up to my exam. The last one I took was only 3 days before my test and the only time I scored in the 150s. It was terrifying, but I took a mental break the last two days and didnt do anything LSAT to give my head a break and I pulled the higher end of my average scores on the actual test. I recommend taking a break to give your mind a few days to rest, or at least not taking full length tests for a few days. Just go over missed questions from previous tests for a few days or do small sections. Also, the newest practice tests seemed much more difficult to me than earlier tests as the questions seem to be changing. I recommend taking the newest tests possible to have the closest idea to what the real test will be like. Good luck!

• aikoko10911aikoko10911 Member
    17 karma

@emilianoromero21 said:

@aikoko10911 said:

Did you rebound? If so, how?

Yes I rebounded. Try to identify some recurring mistakes, make a list to remind yourself every time before taking a PT, and search for similar questions to test your improvements. Honestly, such a sudden drop in PTs scores will help you to see your weakness and prepare better for the testing day.