Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake Risk?

175 on the August Flex!

However, I've already paid for and cannot get a refund for October. I think there's a 50/50 chance I could improve on 175 based on my PTs, but therefore a 50/50 shot I score worse. Really hoping to earn as much scholarship money as possible, so I think improving that score would be beneficial. But my question is, is there risk to a retake? That is, if I get a 172, 173, will that hurt my chances at a top school?

Further context maybe relevant is I have a low (3.36) gpa from a top ten undergrad.

Comments

• 15 karma

Awesome score! I would say it's not worth retaking unless you are very confident you can score higher. Even then a 175 is so high that each increased point would probably not make a significant difference in your admission/scholarship chances. Plus the potential to do worse could hurt your chances. I am certainly not an expert though just my prospective. Congrats again on a 175!

• dos_cooldos_cool Member
    76 karma

175 is over every 75th percentile, barring Yale maybe? I would instead take the time to get your PS and resume polished!

• 55 karma

Thanks for the responses! Other application elements are complete, so no need to worry about those.

Could someone explain why there's a risk if I do worse though? Don't schools really only care about the highest score?

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

It's interesting, also, since whatever you get on the October test will come after your great August score. Any score dip could just show that you didn't want to waste a test that you'd already paid for and maybe were still riding the joy of your August score (ie: didn't take it as seriously as you did in August ... just maybe don't tell them that). PLUS, if you do better, even better! Especially if you feel improvement in your PTs. It feels like a great opportunity, and you could submit your applications with your August score and they might not even care about the October score when it's updated for them to see.

Least of all, I can't even imagine the "fun" experiment of taking a test without score pressure (granted, it's still there to a certain extent). It's almost a "fun" experiment to see how much better you can do. Makes me wonder how often this happens (I'd guess rather often), since many sign up for back-to-back tests.

And, if by some horrible event, you score a few points lower, you could maybe even include a thoughtfully worded addendum about how your August score is a better reflection of your potential. ... But, here's hoping you score goes even higher :smiley: instead!