Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice please: Should I apply now, or work for a year and apply next cycle?

Hi, hope everyone is doing well! I could use some advice on whether to apply this cycle or work for a year then apply.
Here's the situation:

Academics:
I graduated last year from an Ivy League, with Summa Cum Laude honors. I was part of a Dual BA program so at the same time, I earned a degree from a top-ranked university in Europe. All in all, earning 2 degrees in 4 years, my cGPA is 3.9.

LSAT: 171 on the August LSAT-Flex.

Extra-Curriculars: I won't get into details but they are mostly volunteer/social work. I also co-authored a policy memo for UNICEF with one of my professors and worked as a reporter for a a non-profit while enrolled full time as a student.

Although I interned at a law office and did mock trial in high school, none of my college extra-curriculars were especially law-focused. So, after graduation, I got a job as a litigation paralegal at a solid firm in NYC.

However, I contracted a serious mosquito-borne virus while overseas that summer and had to give up the job. It took me almost half a year to recover mentally and physically, at which point I decided to just make it a gap year and become a yoga certified teacher, study meditation, and pursue other personal projects. When COVID hit, my dad unexpectedly lost his job and now my parents have to move cross-country. My mom is physically limited and they both need help doing research and reading documents (we are immigrants and my english is better than theirs), so I have stayed on to help them sell our house, find a new one, etc.

So although, in my mind, I have been busy since graduation, I don't know how to communicate any of this to a law school admissions committee. Right now there is just a year+ gap in my resume that may look sus. That's why I'm wondering if I should work in the law field for a year and apply next cycle with post-grad work experience to speak of? Or is there some kind of addendum I would be advised to write and just explain everything that happened since graduation? Has anyone been in/know of a similar case to mine?

Pardon the long read. Thank you for reading this far. I really appreciate your feedback.

Comments

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

I have heard of people writing addendums to explain gap years taken due to having to take care of family or as the result of trauma, so I think that an addendum would work really well here to explain the situation. Also, I don't think it looks all that suspect because you have been doing other things (you became a certified instructor) and also works double to showcase your diversity as an applicant. These are the students law schools claim to want, so it should work to your advantage. Furthermore, I think with Covid especially law schools will be understanding and means the conventional rule against gaps in resume are less important. Frankly, I'd still apply anyway and just try again next year if denied, but I think law schools will understand and recognize that you're a strong applicant and life happens. One more law job won't make the gap in your resume disappear, and you would still want to explain it even if there was a job following it. I think leaning into what happened and explaining it will do more than trying to have a new job follow it up and not explain the gap.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@arnisya97 To be honest, I am sold. I would admit you to my imaginary T14 school right now. If you can highlight these things in your application, perhaps through an addendum but elements could be addressed in your DS or even PS, I think you are a shoe in for most of the T14. Do not stress, you are a fantastic candidate.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Also, if you apply and things do not work out, no worries, you were already prepared to take another year. However, I am confident things will work out.

• arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
    139 karma

@WouldRatherBeEating said:
    I have heard of people writing addendums to explain gap years taken due to having to take care of family or as the result of trauma, so I think that an addendum would work really well here to explain the situation. Also, I don't think it looks all that suspect because you have been doing other things (you became a certified instructor) and also works double to showcase your diversity as an applicant. These are the students law schools claim to want, so it should work to your advantage. Furthermore, I think with Covid especially law schools will be understanding and means the conventional rule against gaps in resume are less important. Frankly, I'd still apply anyway and just try again next year if denied, but I think law schools will understand and recognize that you're a strong applicant and life happens. One more law job won't make the gap in your resume disappear, and you would still want to explain it even if there was a job following it. I think leaning into what happened and explaining it will do more than trying to have a new job follow it up and not explain the gap.

Thank you so much, you really helped me realign my perspective on things and you have suggested a solid game plan. I really appreciate your point of view! Honesty is the best policy, and I shouldn't be so hard on myself. All the best to you, friend.

• arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
    139 karma

@VerdantZephyr said:
    Also, if you apply and things do not work out, no worries, you were already prepared to take another year. However, I am confident things will work out.

Ahh thank you so much! It's been a complicated and tough year, and both your comments have really lifted my spirits. Thanks for the support and encouragement. I'm gonna go for it! All the best to you, friend.

• An_SkywalkerAn_Skywalker Member
    160 karma

Definitely apply now. You have very good reasons for your resume gap. Just make sure you include it in your addendum. A personal illness + family issue are completely reasonable explanations. And a GPA of 3.9 (from an Ivy, no less) with a 171 LSAT will make you very attractive to any T14 you apply to, especially if you ED.