Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on an LSAT Addendum b/c of past SAT Scores?

Good afternoon everyone, I would appreciate any and all advice. I am deciding on writing an LSAT Addendum to highlight my history of poor test taking (on the SAT) compared to how I performed in college. For reference, I took the SAT three times, scoring a 1500/1600 out of 2400 and I had a 4.0 in college.

Does this justify an LSAT addendum if I scored a mid 150 ?

Comments

• jessedamos-1jessedamos-1 Member
    edited September 2020 26 karma

Why would LSAC/law schools weigh or even have access to high school SAT scores?

• JoeyyyyyJoeyyyyy Member
    48 karma

Absolutely. I know some applications actually ask about SAT/ACT scores, but an addendum directly addressing the source is great. I have also heard that if your score is far below your undergraduate's average this may be useful info to include. (Make sure to emphasize that your score is on the old scale of the SAT, although this may be obvious)

• cjpoland18cjpoland18 Member
    25 karma

I've heard mixed things about this, but I'm in a similar boat. I asked my top choice law school (mid 50 rank), and they said they would be happy to read it. I'm going about it similarly by providing my SAT and ACT scores, but also including how they compared to my classmates in undergrad (my scores were much lower than theirs). I'm also including my GPA/class rank to show how I was able to get a high GPA than many of them.

I might be going about this all wrong (if that's the case, someone please correct me!), but I would recommend seeing how you compare to your undergraduate classmates in terms of test scores and GPA. If your test scores were higher than your classmates and everyone got a 4.0, I probably wouldn't recommend it.

• chezadam10-1chezadam10-1 Member
    35 karma

@jesseadamos said:
    Why would LSAC/law schools weigh or even have access to high school SAT scores?

The scores provided are not high, in fact quite low. They are a representation of my inability to perform well on standardized tests while still doing well in college which can help me write as to why my lsat is so low

• chezadam10-1chezadam10-1 Member
    35 karma

@"Joe Ledford" said:
    Absolutely. I know some applications actually ask about SAT/ACT scores, but an addendum directly addressing the source is great. I have also heard that if your score is far below your undergraduate's average this may be useful info to include. (Make sure to emphasize that your score is on the old scale of the SAT, although this may be obvious)

Thanks Joe, I will absolutely do that. I just dont want my addendum to seem like an excuse or hurt me in any way

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    1755 karma

How are you gonna pass the bar exam? It’s a standardized exam

• D_man1071D_man1071 Member
    130 karma

@username_hello This person took the LSAT and scored above average, which you seem to be forgetting is also a standardized test. The fact that you even feel inclined to go out of your way to say something like that forces me to consider whether you will pass the bar or even make it that far. Get off this forum and go work on your LR.

As for @chezadam10-1, I'd say it really depends on where you plan to apply. If you are sitting below the median for a particular school it may help your case, but I wouldn't fret over it too much. At the end of the day, such an addendum would likely have little, if any, impact on your admission outcome.

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    1755 karma

@D_man1071

this is straight from 7sage consultant @"selene.steelman"

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/145371

"I would caution against writing anything about a history of underperforming on standardized tests. The bar exam is a standardized test and admissions committees are looking to bar passage success when reviewing applications as well. Good luck!"

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I think that you would have to be very careful about how you wrote and worded it. If you decide to do so, proceed with caution.

• D_man1071D_man1071 Member
    edited September 2020 130 karma

@username_hello Then give him your advice by advising him not to write an addendum. Your previous comment wasn't suggesting that. It was unproductive and negative. Thousands of practicing attorneys scored lower than mid-150s on their LSAT, so suggesting this person cannot pass the bar exam because they struggle with standardized testing is simply unnecessary. I hope you see where I'm coming from. This is supposed to be a supportive discussion forum.