Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice of low PT? What am I doing wrong?

edited September 2020 in General 140 karma

My actual scores (timed) are in the low 140's (147 being highest). My highest BR is a 149. Should I be discouraged? My best section is currently the LG's. I'm having a hard time with LR (haven't reached the RC section yet). I'm taking exam in Jan. Would I have enough time to bring up score? My BR is encouraging but not my actual PT score.

Comments

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

Hey there! When you say you haven't reached the RC section yet, does that mean you haven't finished the core curriculum? I would suggest you finish all the curriculum (and do the problem sets within) before taking any practice tests, as many of the skills overlap between sections. Ideally, you want the average score of your practice tests to be higher than your goal score. Many people score differently on test day due to nerves and stress. Good luck in January!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@REALLYTRYINGHERE said:
    My actual scores (timed) are in the low 140's (147 being highest). My highest BR is a 149. Should I be discouraged? My best section is currently the LG's. I'm having a hard time with LR (haven't reached the RC section yet). I'm taking exam in Jan. Would I have enough time to bring up score? My BR is encouraging but not my actual PT score.

Don't be discouraged, certainly not this far away. January is a long way away. The other good news is that in the 140's there is lots of room for improvement. It sounds like maybe you are looking for a mid 150's score? I think that is definitely doable, just got to get there one step at a time. LG foolproofing is a good start, that should immediately pull your score up a lot since all sections are, unless January brings about the paper test again, equal. LR can be improved as well. Keep studying, take enough prep tests for the analytics tab to be meaningful, and address your weaknesses in LR. Find a tutor, there are plenty of people that would be willing to tutor for free even and the site has a way to search for them. BR all your tests and problem sets. Find people to BR with after you have done it yourself and talk things out until you all are agree about the answer. You can do it, it may be a lot of work, but you can do it. As much as other people claim otherwise, the LSAT is not this terrifying monster uniquely difficult among standardized tests so long as you prepare yourself for what it requires of you.