Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any advice on the writing sample?

ChloeeeeChloeeee Member
in General 135 karma

Hi guys, do you have any advice on the writing sample? Also, will the writing process also be recorded like the other sections?

Comments

• JoeyyyyyJoeyyyyy Member
    48 karma

First piece of advice is to do it as soon as possible! A lot of test takers were unable to receive their score as LSAC now requires it to be on file to view your score (it takes approx. 1-3 weeks to be processed). It is recorded and an AI processes it so just make sure there is nothing unnecessary going on in the background.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think there are two effective ways to structure it. One way is to have an intro, shorter body paragraphs, conclusion (w/concession). Another way is two lengthy paragraphs that go into the details of both options. (If you're unfamiliar with the prompt, you are essentially always tasked with analyzing and arguing between two options in a situation).

I hate to throw around the words "it doesn't matter," but it really is just a neutral factor in your app that just ensures that you can write on your own accord. Hope that helps!

• cpeaks13cpeaks13 Core Member
    496 karma

@Joeyyyyy I was wondering the same thing. I am writing in November and have no clue when to do the written. I was thinking of just doing it the same day I do the flex if possible? Or should you definitely be doing it beforehand? My only issue is these are precious days left before the exam and am wondering if it is smart to lose study days doing it????

• JoeyyyyyJoeyyyyy Member
    48 karma

@cpeaks13 said:
    @Joeyyyyy I was wondering the same thing. I am writing in November and have no clue when to do the written. I was thinking of just doing it the same day I do the flex if possible? Or should you definitely be doing it beforehand? My only issue is these are precious days left before the exam and am wondering if it is smart to lose study days doing it????

If I was in your position, I would do it before the test. There's nothing worse than waking up on score release day and being unable to see your score. There is a slight chance that you could do it on test day and it be processed on time, but as the August LSAT indicates -- there are still test takers who haven't received their score and scores were released roughly ten days ago. (Unless you are taking January -- if that is the case then definitely feel free to take it afterwards)

Further, I wouldn't consider doing it as losing much, if any, study time. You can't really study for it (besides getting a conceptual idea of what you'll be writing down) and it only takes like 45 minutes in total including the process of clearing your room, showing paper, etc.

If anything, getting it out of the way can help you feel a little more accomplished when you are stressed going into the exam + ability to fully relax after finishing the test is nice because you will be more exhausted than you can imagine after. Let me know if you have any more questions!

496 karma

@Joeyyyyy thanks for your response! I agree with you, I will take your advice and go for it in the next couple weeks before the nov exam. Is it fairly straightforward to book etc on LSAC. I am embarrassed at how little I know about the flex!!

• jknarf513jknarf513 Member
    189 karma

I think it would be fine to wait the day of your test if you really think that the time could be better spent on studying for the test. My biggest issue was that I had a Mac and needed to upgrade my operating system, and it ended up setting me back a day because of that situation. Test out your equipment prior to test day (it's different than proctor u!) and make sure you follow every single rule so that your video does not get flagged...that will ensure that your test gets processed quickly.

496 karma

@jknarf513 oh no I have a Mac as well, are they not recommended?

• ColdBrew180ColdBrew180 Member
    edited September 2020 156 karma

I just did the writing! I felt better doing it before the upcoming Oct test in order to get it out of the way. I read the prompt in a few minutes, made a couple notes and then had about 25 mins to write. I wrote about 300 words and felt like that was fine to get my point across.

It's recorded the whole time. I used my mac laptop..I know a few people were concerned about needing to do a room scan, etc. I just picked it up and showed above and under the desk and around the room.

You'll be great, nothing to stress about.

• ChloeeeeChloeeee Member
    135 karma

@ColdBrew180 said:
    I just did the writing! I felt better doing it before the upcoming Oct test in order to get it out of the way. I read the prompt in a few minutes, made a couple notes and then had about 25 mins to write. I wrote about 300 words and felt like that was fine to get my point across.

It's recorded the whole time. I used my mac laptop..I know a few people were concerned about needing to do a room scan, etc. I just picked it up and showed above and under the desk and around the room.

You'll be great, nothing to stress about.

That's nice! Thank you!

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    620 karma

Definitely take the writing sample before your exam. I completely regret putting it off til after my August exam and am currently still waiting for them to approve my writing lol so if you want to prevent any score delays, definitely complete the writing beforehand

• jknarf513jknarf513 Member
    189 karma

@cpeaks13 you can absolutely use a Mac-- just make sure you have the right Operating System. I think you have to have at least Mojave or something, so I had to download that which took an entire day and pushed me back some. If you go to your LSAC profile and click the writing, there should be an option to take a practice writing test, which will require you to launch their writing system. If you're able to take the practice test fine, you'll be good to go. I couldn't get the system they used for writing to download on my Mac bc my OS was so out of date. If you just check this a day in advance, you'll be fine:)

496 karma

@jknarf513 thanks for the advice :) ya i checked i'll just have to do a trial run with that get acquainted thing they talk about first i guess...hoping this part is relatively painless!