Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement about Mental Health vs. Addendum/Character & Fitness essay? Do I need both?

Hi everyone!
I took a year off in undergrad as a medical leave of absence, during that time I was hospitalized and diagnosed with Bipolar 2 disorder. I was thinking about writing my personal statement about how learning to manage and cope with my bipolar disorder has made me a more compassionate and critical person. I know that the year gap in my undergrad degree requires an addendum/character and fitness essay, but if I write my personal statement about this part of my life, do I need to also write an addendum? Am I better off writing my personal statement on something else and leaving this story to just be told in my addendum/character and fitness essay?

Thank you!

Comments

• 769 karma

It sucks but 7Sage advises against writing about mental illness in your personal statement. Since you will have to write an addendum about that time I would write about that there and think of something else for your personal statement

• ColdBrew180ColdBrew180 Member
    156 karma

I believe most schools will require you to submit an addendum regarding a leave of absence from undergrad no matter what your PS topic is. You will also usually (depending on the state) have to disclose any mental illness diagnoses in the C&F part of the application.

So, look at it this way - are you comfortable talking about the BPD diagnosis 3 different times on your application (PS, Addendum, C&F questions)? Many first readers of applications spend only 5 minutes with an application.

No school that would reject an application based on a mental health issue is worth attending! However, think about if a different PS topic might be more advantageous to show how well-rounded you are, since you'll likely have to touch on the diagnosis elsewhere in the application.

• DidAFull180DidAFull180 Member
    55 karma

Hey. First of all, I feel your pain. I was hospitalized for psychosis and missed a semester. Second, I would say that you should write a few personal statements and feel out if you are comfortable talking about your hospitalization. On my initial drafts, I danced around my hospitalization and focused on telling other stories. Over time, however, I realized that it was a story that needed to be told sincerely. I did not go into post hospitalization diagnostics. Instead, I focused on my general struggle to re-acclimate myself while simultaneously living on serious medications. Like you said, I wrote how that makes me a unique applicant. I even wrote about it for 2 schools' diversity/optional statements as they and 7sage indicated they were open to all kinds of diversity. There is a great 7sage article with 5 or so top-tier personal statements that helped splitters gain admission to T-14s, and they all have the common thread of honesty. Most importantly, tell your story. Missing a year of school and learning to take care of your mental health is a damn good story to tell.