RC - LSAT Flex in a week

I am taking the flex exam on the 8th and RC is currently my worst section, probably because I've spent 99% of my time working on LR and LG. I have trouble retaining the information so have to read again and then lose time. On my most recent PT I got -4 LR and -2 LG, should I focus on keeping improving those or should I spend some time doing RC drills?

Comments

• DefenderDefender Alum Member
    348 karma

I have a couple of suggestions for remembering the material: First, take your time in the passage.
    I cannot emphasize this enough. Second, focus on the author. What are they doing in their argument? How does everything attach back to the main line of reasoning and point of the author? If you need help, feel free to reach out. I love RC, and went from -15 to -1 in practices!

• rosegirl22rosegirl22 Member
    47 karma

@Defender how did you go about going from -15 to -1? I am struggling to make a jump from -7/-8 to -3/-2

• gchave20gchave20 Core Member
    18 karma

As basic as it might sound, READ. My RC always used to be hit or miss until I stopped skimming the passage, and began reading the passage in front of me. I may not always understand the topic of the passage, but when I truly read, I can get a jist of where the passage is headed and the attitude of the author. Highlighting also helped me out tons. I use yellow and pink to differentiate between differing arguments/opinions/views.

I'd suggest doing the half RC drills that 7sage offers and reviewing what you got wrong. I almost always get questions wrong because I didn't read the question correctly, hence being confused as to what I'm even looking for.

• majilatmajilat Member
    99 karma

One tip I can share that's helped me: my main issue with RC used to be inference questions, but I realized that sometimes, the correct answer to a "main point" question will help you eliminate incorrect answer choices on inference questions (assuming, of course, that main point questions are a strength and not a weakness of yours). For instance, the correct answer to a main point question may be "x can be more valuable than y," and an inference answer choice may say "y has absolutely no value," but we know that is not supported by the passage and therefore can quickly eliminate it (otherwise, the main point answer choice would have used stronger language).

• snelllasnellla Core Member
    103 karma

Remember what you are reading the passage for. You are looking for points of view, opinion shifts and general topics of paragraphs. You are not reading for tiny details. Also, I started doing a lot better once I realized that almost every answer is stated in the passage. The passage is really giving you exactly what you need.

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

@snellla said:
    Also, I started doing a lot better once I realized that almost every answer is stated in the passage. The passage is really giving you exactly what you need.

Exactly what I realized as well. Always go back to the passage!