Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Staying Motivated in Quarantine

Iron-HanIron-Han Member
in General 184 karma

Any tips on staying motivated right now? I recently took a few weeks off from studying right before I started working from home. Now that I'm trying to get back into a study routine, it's been really challenging to study after already sitting at my desk for 8 hours during the day. If you have any tips/suggestions, please send them my way!

Comments

• JDream2023JDream2023 Alum Member
    984 karma

Yeah I am finding it hard too. Do you have a test date you’re aiming for? For me, that’s motivating. Or, maybe try to study with someone? I recently got a tutor I will be working with and she’s a breath of fresh air. Because all this watching videos and reading was getting dry as hell.

• Iron-HanIron-Han Member
    184 karma

I was signed up for April but am pushing to July so I gave myself a small break. I've considered a tutor but not sure if that's financially an option!

• WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
    476 karma

Good to see that there are others out there who are going through similar struggle. I used to study 2-3 hours during the week 3-4 in the weekend but now I'm barely hitting 2 hours.
    I try to do it first thing in the morning and I treat myself something nice to overcome the inertia sometimes, like a movie or sweets, really nice meal etc.

I'm almost 4 months into studying but still in the core curriculum (almost done - I've planned full 12-20 months of studying for this test). I am finding it hard to stay motivated though as soon as I started drilling because you wont see your progress clearly until you actually take the exam.

Any advice? much appreciated.

• mariaye0604mariaye0604 Alum Member
    79 karma

I'm finding it hard too. Working remotely makes the line between work hours and off time blurred. Also I adopted a puppy 2 months ago and the puppy breaks my time into smaller chunks. I barely put in 2 hours study time now. Feeling distracted and unmotivated.

• JDream2023JDream2023 Alum Member
    984 karma

@"Iron-Han" said:
    I was signed up for April but am pushing to July so I gave myself a small break. I've considered a tutor but not sure if that's financially an option!

They have tutors starting as low as $55 but just make sure they have good ratings.

https://www.wyzant.com/

184 karma

@alexhpcs For motivation during the CC, try going back to older problem sets at the beginning of CC and compare how you did then to how you're doing now. If you do worse, then you know what you need to work on. If you do better, then you're improving!

@mariaye0604 I feel ya! I never knew how much I needed my commute and office to break up study and work.

• mariaye0604mariaye0604 Alum Member
    79 karma

@Iron-Han Seriously! The commute breaks up work and self-time! It's like I cleared up the cache in my brain lol. Did you take your test in July?

184 karma

@mariaye0604 I actually decided to push it back and plan to take it this November. I realized I simply didn't have the time to achieve my goal score and work full time. If November doesn't work out, I'm planning to take the summer off completely and dedicate myself to studying.