Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

⚖ Official October 2020 LSAT-Flex Discussion Thread ⚖

Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
edited November 2020 in October 2020 LSAT 5740 karma

Hey 7Sagers,

Here's the official October 2020 LSAT-Flex Discussion Thread.

Please keep all discussions of the October 2020 LSAT-Flex here!

Rules:

You can't discuss specific questions. 🙅‍♂️
You CANNOT say things such as the following:

• Hey, the 3rd LG was sequencing and the last one was In/Out, right? (Don't mention the game type)
  • The last question in the LR section was a lawgic heavy MBT! Was the answer (B)? (Don't mention the question type or ask what the answer was)
  • What was the answer for the last question of RC? I think it was an inference question? Was the answer (C)? (Don't mention the question type or ask what the answer was)

Comments

• RtahlovRtahlov Member
    65 karma

How’d everyone feel about that exam? The comparative passage on the reading comp was a bit tricky for me and that last logic game was so annoying

• jackmmmmjackmmmm Yearly Member
    103 karma

Opinions? I thought the whole test was just ~ok~. I had reading comp passages about Evolution, Lawyer relationships, false transcription, and something else. Nothing particularly scary about logic games, and very average LR. Thoughts?

• jackmmmmjackmmmm Yearly Member
    103 karma

@Rtahlov said:
    How’d everyone feel about that exam? The comparative passage on the reading comp was a bit tricky for me and that last logic game was so annoying

I agree, I wish I left more time for the last game :(

• kamelbrooklynkamelbrooklyn Alum Member
    36 karma

Did anybody here take the August exam? How do you think it compared in difficulty most especially in relation to RC?
    How hard was RC in general?

• Lawyer LoochLawyer Looch Alum Member
    105 karma

Hey guys in taking the flex tomorrow. I was wondering do we have to do anything to prep the room we’re taking it in? I’m
    Gonna take it in my parents office. It has a tv, computer (I’m gonna use my laptop) so do I need to unplug the tv and computer? There’s a lot of photos on the wall/ books on the shelf.. does that matter? Are there any rules about touching your face during the exam or looking around?

• emilianoromero21emilianoromero21 Core Member
    68 karma

Think I totally bombed the LR section. Idk if it was harder or if I was too in my own head. I really burnt out these last few weeks 🙁

• klarson32klarson32 Member
    54 karma

I had reading comp passages about False transcription, Lawyer relationships, Evolution, and something else I'm blanking on right now. LR seemed easier to me but LG I found harder then expected which surprised me since that is usually my best section.

• RyanGGGGRyanGGGG Member
    12 karma

My test was RC-LR-LG and felt pretty standard in terms of difficulty. I had the same RC sections others have mentioned (transcription, lawyer relationships, evolution, and economic system history). Usually I finish RC just barely in time, but I had time left to check answers today. I think it's because I was nervous since this was my first LSAT and I blew through the section quickly, not necessarily because it was any easier. I was able to fix multiple mistakes I originally made when I went back through for review. The first passage I think was a bit difficult so that was odd and threw me off a little since I'm used to starting with an easier one and feeling more confident.

It's hard for me to judge LR difficulty overall, but there were definitely some tricky ones I stared at for awhile. I finished with time to check back after having flagged a decent amount of them. LG was surprisingly straightforward for the first three games but then the last game was much more difficult. I had 14 minutes left to do it which allowed some brute force efforts on the questions even if I never fully comprehended the game.

• edited October 2020 413 karma

Except for the last LG, i think LG went good. But I have a weird feeling about LR, I dont think I did well. Mixed feelings about RC, no idea how it went

• OhDoubleSevenOhDoubleSeven Member
    22 karma

First-time LSAT, LR RC LG
    LR: my nerves got to me and words weren't registering when I started the exam. Flagged a bunch of questions but didn't have the chance to go back:(
    RC: same passages as the others mentioned, found False transcription the hardest
    LG: gave me a weird deja-vu feeling, last game was hard though

All the best to those taking it soon!

• mkghori1mkghori1 Member
    3 karma

If anyone can explain the flex process, the do's and dont's for setting up the room, please share!!

• RtahlovRtahlov Member
    65 karma

@"Positively LSAT Street" said:
    Except for the last LG, i think LG went good. But I have a weird feeling about LR, I dont think I did well. Mixed feelings about RC, no idea how it went

Literally feel exactly the same way. I’m really curious to get the results back.

• @Rtahlov said:

I had the same exact reaction. Comparative passage was the hardest passage for me and the final logic game wasn’t difficult, but rather it was tedious. Had 11 minutes left for that one and used every second of it. All the other logic games felt surprisingly easy and LR wasn’t horrible. Wishing everyone the best!

• as5682as5682 Member
    33 karma

Had a nightmare the night before the exam that i was taking the LG section of the test and they asked me to fill out an excel sheet with my game board and I had to input my answers in certain boxes. I kept thinking that i couldn't do this in 35mins ??!

Turned out that LG went great today. Last game was the hardest but I had like 17mins to do it. I'm hoping i got them all right.

RC was the hardest section i think, even though it's usually my best one: book editing, economic theory, evolution comparative passage, and lawyer relationships. It was the first section and my anxiety was at an all time high.

LR was average difficulty i would say. Looking back on it, i know i got one logic heavy one wrong. I kept thinking back on it after the exam, and pretty sure i got it wrong.

But we'll see on Oct 23rd!

• listentothewindblowlistentothewindblow Core Member
    127 karma

@"Lawyer Looch" said:
    Hey guys in taking the flex tomorrow. I was wondering do we have to do anything to prep the room we’re taking it in? I’m
    Gonna take it in my parents office. It has a tv, computer (I’m gonna use my laptop) so do I need to unplug the tv and computer? There’s a lot of photos on the wall/ books on the shelf.. does that matter? Are there any rules about touching your face during the exam or looking around?

I think you have to unplug the computer or remove it because I believe it is a rule that you cannot have multiple monitors. Imagine the TV should be fine as long as it doesn't look like a computer lol. I think you can touch your face as long as you're not removing it from camera view. But I wouldn't be looking around because I feel like the proctor could think you see something they don't. Personally I removed all my books but that's because I kept them on my desk. If the shelf is behind you I think you'll be ok because there's no way you would be able to look at it.

• m-smith94m-smith94 Core Member
    27 karma

Game 4 of LG was just wow... ugly... and the RC sections were well above average on the difficulty scale.

• NYVirgo1972NYVirgo1972 Member
    4 karma

I felt the same way. even though I had 10 minutes to do that last question I blew through it with educated guesses. I found the the rc and lr brutal. Considerably more challenging than any practice test. I'm sure I did fine- but man im glad it is over.

@"m-smith94" said:
    Game 4 of LG was just wow... ugly... and the RC sections were well above average on the difficulty scale.

• ksjuts2ksjuts2 Member
    12 karma

This was my first LSAT, and I feel just ok about it. I had LR-LG-RC. LR seemed fine, if I missed any questions, it was because of tricky wording or answers that seemed fairly identical. The last logic game was a complete shit show. RC also seemed pretty regular. I feel like I will get a score that is consistent with my PTs. See y'all in November!

• shaynalea123shaynalea123 Member
    6 karma

If you purchased the LSAT score preview for this test when will you be able to see your score?

• HUANGTING121HUANGTING121 Member
    11 karma

Just finished LSAT 20 minutes ago. This was my first LSAT, and I feel just ok about it. I had LR-RC-LG. LR seemed fine, but I did poorly in RC. The first passage is Art which I am not good at and wasted lots of time, then my whole pace for RC went in a mess. The third passage is a comparative type. I feel like I will get a score that is consistent with my PTs, so I really need to work harder to achieve my ideal score. Hope everyone did well!

• RaphaelPRaphaelP Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1110 karma

I took it this morning - LG, LR, RC. LG had a game about diplomats traveling to London, Madrid, and Paris. LR had a question about bureaucratic efficiency, alcohol from wormwood, and whether a town should manage cable TV. RC had a passage about neoclassical sculpting, worker oversight of companies, suburban sprawl comparative passage, and one on Hooper's theory of hedges in England. LG felt the most challenging of the 3 sections, personally.

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

@shaynalea123 said:
    If you purchased the LSAT score preview for this test when will you be able to see your score?

You see it the same time as everyone else, so roughly oct 23. Score preview just means you get to cancel your score if you want after you see it (and before law schools do).

• dianao6512dianao6512 Member
    169 karma

Just took it. I had LR-RC-LG. LR and RC seemed normal difficulty, i also had the passage about neoclassical sculpting. LG were terrible. I honestly havent taken a LG section that difficult before. I typically have several minutes to review answers but I actually ran out of time on this one

edited October 2020 456 karma

Took today as my first LSAT. Order for me was LR-RC-LG, content similar to @rjp12345 except for maybe LR, can’t quite remember lmao. LG went over surprisingly well, was intimidated by a game and skipped it and then must have misread my time or somehow answered the next game in record time in my panic because I then had more than usual amount of time left for the game I was intimidated by. LR seemed about average for me, probably got at least one wrong as I changed my mind on a question & was unable to change the answer in time. RC wasn’t crazy hard but still found it difficult; however, I’m inconsistent on this section already & my dogs were going crazy at this point, so it’s hard to judge this section especially.

Proctor was good, I asked him if he could pause my exam if he had to message or call me and he said no. But I asked if he could check my face in the webcam ahead of time and he did that and had me act like I was writing/ doing the games so we could get the webcam set up perfect. Lost internet connection once during LG but got it back within 30 seconds.

Overall not the worst, but not hopeful for my best scores. Taking again in November anyway

• MGreene412MGreene412 Member
    50 karma

I had LR - LG - RC. Overall, I am not too happy with my performance, but that is mostly a result of having to guess on roughly 3 questions, timing became an unexpected issue for RC. The number of questions per passage on the RC was unlike most PTs I have taken. Also, I had a very weird sense of "that seemed too obvious" on more than a few LR questions, I'm hoping I didn't look over any inferences and chose trap answers. For LG, I had 14 minutes to spare for the last game. I felt like I had a perfect score on the first 3, but I wouldn't be surprised if I got -2 or -3 as a result of the last one, even with the substantial time I had.

In terms of advise, I would work on eliminating that sense of "doubt". Trust your preparation and don't spend unnecessary time trying to check if you are positive on an answer choice unless you have ample time to do so. Spending too long an one problem in the early part of a section will come back to bite you when you are faced with multiple challenging problems later in the test that require you to make inferences or read long answer choices.

• venkiiyer17venkiiyer17 Member
    4 karma

The last LG question was absolutely brutal. Felt the LR and RC was pretty straightforward so hoping I can make up for the LG there. Overall, probably a little on the harder side but not overly so, which seems to be the consensus on this board.

• Sara_nkeSara_nke Member
    9 karma

Does anyone remember how many questions did the last RC Passage (history/economic) have?

• gomgab98gomgab98 Member
    edited October 2020 10 karma

My proctor forgot to turn his microphone off, so during first game there was mumbled conversation. I could not tell if he was trying to say something to me or just talking, after a minute of confusion he apologized and muted his mic. Got me confused and stressed and ended up not finishing the LG section. Which really just derailed my whole test, not sure how to feel about that.
    Also, did anyone else have their toolbar keep popping up, or was that something my proctor neglected as well?

• dudekcdudekc Core Member
    46 karma

I am going to take the exam on the morning of the 8th. Just a general question: Does every person who takes the exam take the same exam? It seems to me from reading the comment threads that they may rearrange the order of the sections, but are all the sections collectively the same exam? I'm a little confused.

• sakethsaran1998-1sakethsaran1998-1 Alum Member
    246 karma

@dudekc said:
    I am going to take the exam on the morning of the 8th. Just a general question: Does every person who takes the exam take the same exam? It seems to me from reading the comment threads that they may rearrange the order of the sections, but are all the sections collectively the same exam? I'm a little confused.

I don't think everyone takes the same exam. The RC and LR were differerent yesterday

• zhao269zhao269 Member
    6 karma

I had a weird feeling about LR. Usually I could finish LR with at least 5 min to spare but this time I barely finished on time. For some questions I chose the AC without checking all the ACs and I probably should've been more prudent.

• zhao269zhao269 Member
    6 karma

@dudekc said:

From what I observed there are at least two versions for each section. I don't know if the curve will be based on different versions or we will be sharing the same curve tho.

• nsturno_12nsturno_12 Alum Member
    39 karma

Not sure if this is a dumb question, but will the Flex show the remaining time? I took the Law Hub prep tests and it showed the time remaining... not sure if this applies for the actual exam as well, or if people suggest using a (nondigital) watch to time yourself. Thanks!

• andywsoccerandywsoccer Member
    83 karma

@nsturno_12 said:
    Not sure if this is a dumb question, but will the Flex show the remaining time? I took the Law Hub prep tests and it showed the time remaining... not sure if this applies for the actual exam as well, or if people suggest using a (nondigital) watch to time yourself. Thanks!

Hi, if I remember correctly it does show the time. If my memory serves, the format is exactly like lawhub. Remember the "LSAT FLEX" option beside your library in Lawhub? That'ts how youll go into the flex on test day, and would look like an everyday PT on lawhub:))

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

How strict is the no talking thing? I really struggle to not repeat difficult LR passages out loud some times.

• TorontoSTorontoS Core Member
    13 karma

I took all electronics out and put it in the hall, also took the mirror out of the room and took down some papers I had hanging on the wall. I also moved the garbage since there isn't supposed to be anything on the ground around you. When I showed him the portable wifi device I was using that was beside me, I explained it was for wifi. (I took all precautions/their advice on LSAC and ProctorU to avoid having my test flagged - since that can delay getting results) > @"Lawyer Looch" said:

• RtahlovRtahlov Member
    65 karma

@VerdantZephyr said:
    How strict is the no talking thing? I really struggle to not repeat difficult LR passages out loud some times.

Hey! I know the instructions and the proctor say no talking, but when I’m not in a public place (school/work) I whisper whatever I’m reading to myself to process it better. I did that on the exam with literally every question/passage on the LR and RC. I think if you’re not flat out speaking in your everyday voice then you should be fine. Quietly whisper or mumble to yourself and no one should say anything. Good luck!!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Thanks @Rtahlov

• KirstenKirsten Alum Member
    82 karma

I took the exam on Sunday but needed to process everything that happened, lol. I took July and August, but I felt like I had a shot to get my goal score as I was finally PT'ing around it. I had LR-RC-LG. LR felt standard. RC I felt like the passages were quite dense but I got through all of them with time to go back and check my flagged questions. LG started out good, all of the games felt standard. But my proctor completely stopped my test because apparently my lighting needed to be adjusted although I didn't touch my lights at all for previous sections. I lost time as my proctor did not stop the clock and beyond that it completely threw me off for the section. I immediately contacted LSAC and the nice woman I spoke to recommended that I get a retake. Has anyone else had issues like this before? How long did it take for y'all to hear back from LSAC regarding your retake? I read about the Proctor U horror stories before but I didn't think that it would happen to me. :(

• THESPINA.DABAGIATHESPINA.DABAGIA Core Member
    17 karma

I also felt just okay like I was expecting to have either a positive or negative reaction and neither of those happened afterwards lol the most important thing is that I didn't cry and it also was my birthday so maybe my brain was just not letting me go into self deconstruct mode..now I'm just so scared I will be devastated with the results..now to take the writing portion!

• adry.bonesadry.bones Core Member
    5 karma

Hi I have a questions about the writing section since I haven't really prepared at all. Has anyone done it already? How is the process?

• a.b.1620a.b.1620 Member
    edited October 2020 30 karma

@"adry.bones" said:
    Hi I have a questions about the writing section since I haven't really prepared at all. Has anyone done it already? How is the process?

@"adry.bones" I just took it last week! It was a fairly simple process. I would highly recommend anyone taking it go to your LSAC homepage, under LSAT writing, and simulate the test using their "Get Acquainted with LSAT Writing" option. With that, it opens up a link for you to download the same software you'll be using for the exam. After downloading it, you can practice going through the entire process of the exam: mic and camera check, ID check, picture taken, scan the room, read the instructions, and start the exam. Any "exam" taken through the "Get Acquainted" link, will be practice and won't be sent anywhere.

Although for me, the practice exam, or "Get Acquainted" link, doesn't show prompts during the practice exam itself. So I just had a past prompt out to read, plan, and then write my essay, just like I did on actual day.

On the day you want to actually take the exam, you would go to the same LSAT writing page, but scroll to the bottom of the page, and click "Lunch LSAT writing" or something like that. You'll go through the same process as your practice exam, but obviously this one would count. Once you're done, your LSAT writing status should say "initiated". :)

• 2DeDeuce2DeDeuce Live Member
    16 karma

@jackmmmm said:

@Rtahlov said:

I agree, I wish I left more time for the last game :(

Are you typically pretty good with the logic games in terms of timing?

• radkri10radkri10 Member
    133 karma

@Kirsten I'm sorry you had a horrible proctor. I'm also waiting for LSAC's confirmation email regarding the retake. I lost my internet connection right after I finished reading the first passage of RC, my third section. I got it back about 4-5 minutes later but obvi. I was panicking and couldn't remember anything I read from the passage. The proctor said I could contact LSAC to reschedule the test so I did. And the guy that I talked to said he submitted a claim for me, and I should be able to get a confirmation email by today or tomorrow, if not, I should call them again. He said the retakes will be scheduled for this Friday, but I'd need to wait for the LSAC's email to confirm the eligibility and the specific time. I'm also curious if anyone has ever had these experiences and know how the retakes work!!

• witz0499witz0499 Core Member
    4 karma

So it seems like many of us found LR and the last game of LG a little difficult.. this may be a dumb question but does this mean the whole test will most likely get curved more?

• @as5682 said:
    Had a nightmare the night before the exam that i was taking the LG section of the test and they asked me to fill out an excel sheet with my game board and I had to input my answers in certain boxes. I kept thinking that i couldn't do this in 35mins ??!

Turned out that LG went great today. Last game was the hardest but I had like 17mins to do it. I'm hoping i got them all right.

RC was the hardest section i think, even though it's usually my best one: book editing, economic theory, evolution comparative passage, and lawyer relationships. It was the first section and my anxiety was at an all time high.

LR was average difficulty i would say. Looking back on it, i know i got one logic heavy one wrong. I kept thinking back on it after the exam, and pretty sure i got it wrong.

But we'll see on Oct 23rd!

Same! For some reason, RC was the hardest for me too when it usually isn't too bad. LG was pretty straightforward minus the last game which was difficult. LR seemed pretty straightforward, a bit easier than I thought it would, but still some tricky areas. I think taking it for the first time too I was just nervous and I had 1-3 I didn't get to at the end so I just guessed. I think just too much thinking about certain questions and nerves.

edited October 2020 456 karma

@nsturno_12 said:

It looks exactly like Lawhub. Time shows up, you can adjust sizing like lawhub, everything. Also, you can use Function + F11 to resize the screen and Control + F feature to search for keywords during RC.

• ARMANC74ARMANC74 Member
    210 karma

@rachelhorewitz said:
    So it seems like many of us found LR and the last game of LG a little difficult.. this may be a dumb question but does this mean the whole test will most likely get curved more?

The curve doesnt really work like that. I won't bore you with details but essentially a -7 on the Flex would get you around a 170. Depending on the difficulty of your section, you may be able to get a -8 to still hit the 170. If your section is easier then it would be like a -6. Overall, the curve really doesn't help too much, only for one-two very difficult questions

• KirstenKirsten Alum Member
    82 karma

@radkri10 said:
    @Kirsten I'm sorry you had a horrible proctor. I'm also waiting for LSAC's confirmation email regarding the retake. I lost my internet connection right after I finished reading the first passage of RC, my third section. I got it back about 4-5 minutes later but obvi. I was panicking and couldn't remember anything I read from the passage. The proctor said I could contact LSAC to reschedule the test so I did. And the guy that I talked to said he submitted a claim for me, and I should be able to get a confirmation email by today or tomorrow, if not, I should call them again. He said the retakes will be scheduled for this Friday, but I'd need to wait for the LSAC's email to confirm the eligibility and the specific time. I'm also curious if anyone has ever had these experiences and know how the retakes work!!

I'm sorry that you had issues as well! I might have blacked out after speaking with my rep, but I did not know that I was supposed to be waiting for a confirmation e-mail. Hopefully we're able to retake on Friday!!

• witz0499witz0499 Core Member
    4 karma

@ARMANC74 said:

@rachelhorewitz said:

The curve doesnt really work like that. I won't bore you with details but essentially a -7 on the Flex would get you around a 170. Depending on the difficulty of your section, you may be able to get a -8 to still hit the 170. If your section is easier then it would be like a -6. Overall, the curve really doesn't help too much, only for one-two very difficult questions

thank you!