Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Random 177 on PT 81

lawaggielawaggie Member
edited October 2020 in General 56 karma

I took a PT under full on testing conditions this morning and somehow scored 177. I was PTing around ~170 in recent weeks, so I was surprised, and a little confused since my score hasn't budged in a while. Does anyone know if PT 81 was randomly much easier than normal? I poked around old discussion threads, but only found posts about the RC section.

Comments

• EllegoalsEllegoals Member
    342 karma

Congrats!!! That's awesome! I have no insight on PT 81, but I can't imagine the test being SO much easier that the 177 was unwarranted. Also, if you're scoring in the 170s, I would say your knowledge of the test is probably pretty solid. That being said, was anything different about the way you took the test and/or your mindset going into it? I think it's really important to REALLY analyze what was different about this time and try and replicate that from now forward.

• garbage.floodgarbage.flood Member
    edited October 2020 186 karma

It does look like the June 2017 LSAT may have been a little easier than some. According to PowerScore, perfect scorers needed to get a 100/101 correct on that test (perfect scorers can get as few as 98/101 correct and still come out with a 180, depending on the test).

You can check it out here...
    https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/correct_targeted.cfm

But if you didn't guess at all, it can't be a complete flute! Good work!

• dazedandconfused-1dazedandconfused-1 Member
    258 karma

I got decimated on PT 81 so definitely not an easier test haha. great job!

• lawaggielawaggie Member
    56 karma

@Ellegoals said:
    Congrats!!! That's awesome! I have no insight on PT 81, but I can't imagine the test being SO much easier that the 177 was unwarranted. Also, if you're scoring in the 170s, I would say your knowledge of the test is probably pretty solid. That being said, was anything different about the way you took the test and/or your mindset going into it? I think it's really important to REALLY analyze what was different about this time and try and replicate that from now forward.

Honestly the only variable I can think of is that I actually got a decent amount of sleep and took it in the morning. I've been working full time while studying, so I'm usually drop dead tired by the time I take PT's at night. I felt so defeated taking it this morning after a week of terrible PT's and potentially being exposed to Covid at work that I think it took some of the pressure off lol.

56 karma

@"garbage.flood" said:
    It does look like the June 2017 LSAT may have been a little easier than some. According to PowerScore, perfect scorers needed to get a 100/101 correct on that test (perfect scorers can get as few as 98/101 correct and still come out with a 180, depending on the test).

You can check it out here... https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/correct_targeted.cfm

But if you didn't guess at all, it can't be a complete flute! Good work!

Oh that's a really awesome resource, thank you so much! I definitely guessed on a few RC and LR, so it very well could have been a total fluke. Fingers crossed that whatever stroke of luck was hanging over me today will follow me into the real exam lol.

56 karma

@"dazedandconfused-1" said:
    I got decimated on PT 81 so definitely not an easier test haha. great job!

The later 70's PTs destroyed me, so I definitely feel you lol. I'm taking the real thing this week and I just can't wait to (hopefully) finally be done. Good luck to you if you're testing soon!

• 16 karma

I don't think it has to do with difficulty. You're in that range. You could've just as easily misread a single question on your previous tests and scored a 169.

Also, 7sage rates the test sections by difficulty. Go to Analytics and hover your mouse over your section score in the line graph.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

So, my personal experience was this, started with a 165 diagnostic, increased steadily to around 169/170 with a single 174, then suddenly jumped and went from that 169 to 175, 177, 176 in a row. You a obviously already very good at the test. It may be that some things suddenly clicked and you resolved an issue or two that was holding you back. Keep working and you will see how things turn out. That said, I think you mentioned that you are taking the real thing this week. Seems like a great one to take into the exam as a confidence booster. Clearly you are capable of a 99th percentile score, so, whatever your goal is, it is possible on the exam. Go in without stress and hopefully it will work out for you.