Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting on behalf of a 7Sage User: Are we allowed to take the US Flex LSAT overseas?

Theo - Student ServiceTheo - Student Service Member Moderator Student Services
in General 848 karma

[I am posting on behalf of 7Sage user. Please feel free to leave your comments below. Thank you for your help!]
Are we allowed to take the US Flex LSAT overseas?

Comments

• MengxuanMengxuan Alum Member
    54 karma

It seems like LSAC representatives are giving out inconsistent answers. I was told on the phone by a representative that international students were allowed to take Flex anywhere around the globe, that "this is the whole point of creating the LSAT-Flex", but my friend was told one must be phisically in the U.S. to take the U.S. flex and LSAC could pull out one's IP address to verify the person's location.
    I do know people who successfully completed August Flex (intended for U.S. only) outside the U.S. and things seemed working fine.

• Danielle CDanielle C Member
    32 karma

I tried to do this but was not allowed to take it because they are supposed to check to make sure the IP address matches the location as a security measure. I would send a very specific email asking about the specific location the person wants to take the exam, asking here can lead to more confusion.

I am taking the international FLEX in January. I am in the Dominican Republic and signed up for one in the Caribbean region. Even though the DR is located in the Caribbean it is not a country listed as an option so I I sent email messages until I got confirmation it was okay to take the international. Now if I run into any issues come January I have documentation that I was very specific in asking and getting an answer. I think the people who answer the phone are still trying to learn the in and outs of the FLEX for international takers so your best bet is to get an email showing it is okay. People can take the US version of the FLEX if they are in places like Puerto Rico or something because they are included in that region. I think people assume the US is only continental and count places like Hawaii and Alaska as being outside the US so be careful, always check with where they were located when they took the exam.

Best bet is to get an answer via email in case there are any issues, you want to be able to show that you asked and got an answer from them so the mistake is not yours. You don't want to take an exam and have it flagged for any reason and have to write an addendum for all your law school applications.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

It seems like no one can answer this honestly. I think the advice above is good. Do that and see what they say. If yes you have a defense.

• alice0237alice0237 Alum Member
    29 karma

Below is what I was told by the LSAC customer relationship representative when I asked if I could take the November LSAT Flex from Asia.

"Thank you for writing. Unfortunately, the November 2020 LSAT-Flex is only offered in North America. If you wish to test outside of the US or Canada, you may remain registered for the October test or register for the January 2021 LSAT. The registration deadline for this test in December 2nd, 2020. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any other questions, please let us know and we will be happy to assist you."

• marsasb161-1marsasb161-1 Member
    25 karma

I was told that I can still schedule for the LSAT-Flex while overseas, and I was actually able to on ProctorU.

• matiecena83matiecena83 Member
    62 karma

Use a VPN to change your IPO to any US city. It worked for me.

• ashleyddashleydd Member
    8 karma

I called LSAC and a woman from LSAC explicitly said people outside the US could NOT take the domestic lsat flex. I'm in Asia rn but was hoping I could take the november test since I have an address in California anyways but they said I had to physically be in the States... sucks honestly but I DEFINITELY wouldn't risk using a VPN to go around LSAC or ProctorU.. I mean do it if you have nothing to lose but very risky especially without proof of LSAC saying its ok to do so.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Again, I think @"Danielle C" probably had the best advice. Contact them, preferably in writing. Worst case they say no. Best case you have a yes in writing and no one can dispute that you are allowed to do so. If they tell you no, I would not try to use a VPN to get around it, especially if you are somewhere like China where VPNs can be inconsistent due to government influence. Honestly, if you contact them by phone and they say yes, ask them to send an email so you have it in writing. If they say no by phone you could always hang up and try again.