PT13 S4 Q15 - Parallel Flaw?

kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
edited October 2020 in Logical Reasoning 795 karma

Hi, just wondering if anyone could explain this to me. I'm not really seeing what the flaw is. (Flordyce University archaeology question)

Comments

• Nomads PoemNomads Poem Alum Member
    89 karma

Premise 1: Any student (WHO WANTS TO PARTICIPATE) is elligible --> at least one arch course + interest in field
    Premise 2: Many students = interest but NOT arch course.
    Conclusion: Many students (WHO WANT TO PARTICIPATE) = inelligible.

Pay attention to the part I capitalized. The stimulus starts by talking about a specific group of students, but the second premise talks broadly of STUDENTS in general. But we don't know whether many students in general is the same as many students who want to participate. It can still be true that many students in general are inelligible but many students WHO WANT TO PARTICIPATE actually all meet the requirement and are elligible.

I hope this makes sense. This one is tricky to put into words.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

@"Nomads Poem" said:
    Premise 1: Any student (WHO WANTS TO PARTICIPATE) is elligible --> at least one arch course + interest in field
    Premise 2: Many students = interest but NOT arch course.
    Conclusion: Many students (WHO WANT TO PARTICIPATE) = inelligible.

Pay attention to the part I capitalized. The stimulus starts by talking about a specific group of students, but the second premise talks broadly of STUDENTS in general. But we don't know whether many students in general is the same as many students who want to participate. It can still be true that many students in general are inelligible but many students WHO WANT TO PARTICIPATE actually all meet the requirement and are elligible.

I hope this makes sense. This one is tricky to put into words.

Ahh I see. So the second premise could be talking about "many students" across the university, a potentially much larger group. Thanks!