Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Help Studying Games!

wilsonalyssaj93wilsonalyssaj93 Core Member
edited October 2020 in Logic Games 12 karma

Hey guys! I was curious as to how you all have gone about studying different game types. Do I need to wait till I master one before moving on to the next? Or can I do a few at once? I'm taking the November test and logic games is what's holding me back. I'm only getting about 11-12 correct. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Granger DangerGranger Danger Alum Member
    717 karma

I foolproofed the LG section of the core curriculum and that helped a lot. Then foolproofing the games from tests 1-40 is also excellent.

• wilsonalyssaj93wilsonalyssaj93 Core Member
    12 karma

@"Princess Carolyn" said:
    I foolproofed the LG section of the core curriculum and that helped a lot. Then foolproofing the games from tests 1-40 is also excellent.

Did you master one type for example, sequencing, before moving on to another type?

• m.i.rivasm.i.rivas Alum Member
    203 karma

I would say it's good to take timed sections of the games how they normally come after doing the problem sets in the core curriculum. Then making sure to do over any games that you didn't master, do in the target time or didn't make all the inferences that J.Y. did in his videos. This helps a lot with memorization so that making inferences will start to become natural. Doing the foolproof method is super helpful. I foolproofed games 1-40! But games is the most learnable part of the test so you can totally get those points up!

• Thy RainThy Rain Core Member
    99 karma

Are you getting 11-12 correct timed or untimed?

• wilsonalyssaj93wilsonalyssaj93 Core Member
    12 karma

@"Thy Rain" said:
    Are you getting 11-12 correct timed or untimed?

Timed

717 karma

@wilsonalyssaj93 the games part of the core curriculum goes by game type. Start at the beginning. Do each game and each problem set until you are within J.Y.'s time limit and all are correct. Do not move on until each game is completely correct and either faster or within the time limit. (J.Y. gives a time estimate with each game explanation.)

This may be tough going at the beginning, but don't give up! This is how I went from -8 or more to a consistent -2. Message me if you need more tips or help!

• llee2247llee2247 Member
    28 karma

Kinda in the same boat! I've been doing the foolproof method for games in the core curriculum and also for some difficult ones in PT's I've taken. I feel like it's easy for me to get a hang of them once I see an explanation and begin to foolproof on my own by recreating the same inferences. I'm just having trouble translating that to taking a brand new PT with new games etc. - like I feel like I am still setting up the boards wrong/ not making the inferences I need to when I'm faced with a game I've never seen. Any advice for this?

717 karma

Keep going! Foolproof every single CC game and then begin foolproofing each game section in tests 1-40. It won't feel great in the beginning with PT1-40 games. The Hannah game sucks and I also was really bad at the ski chalet/plane radar game/test tube game for a LONG ASS TIME.

Stick with the foolproofing. A couple weeks from now you probably will have less issues with brand new games. Something just clicks.