November LSAT - Advice

jgotlb18jgotlb18 Member
in General 129 karma

Hey 7SAGERS! So, i'm registered for the November LSat and am around 4-5 points below my target score. Do you think this is possible by test date? I'm thinking of taking three practice tests per week as timing seems to be my greatest enemy (missing questions at the end because time is running out). Thanks for the advice and good luck to all!

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited October 2020 4300 karma

Definitely doable to reach your goal score and closing that gap. Just make sure that you don't burn out by taking 3 PT's a week! One thing I'd recommend if you're not doing already is learning to recognize difficult questions and skipping them without hesitation only to return to them if given time.

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

What are you currently scoring in games? If it’s not 0 to -2 this will likely be the quickest place for you to pick up points.

• jgotlb18jgotlb18 Member
    129 karma

Thanks guys! I'm not 0 or -2 in games and really think that this is going to be my primary focus

• lilpinglinglilpingling Member
    638 karma

I am in your exact position. I'm signed up for November but still testing about 4-5 points below my goal.

That said, I did have a major epiphany yesterday that I'm hoping will help. I completed a test in print and made notes about my thought process as I went along, hoping to find a trend. I ranked my answer choices, wrote down why I chose one answer over another, and so on. In the end, I realized that I had changed my first AC to a different AC a grand total of ten times. Guess how many times I changed a correct answer to an incorrect answer? Eight. Even factoring in the two times I changed my AC to the correct answer, I would've had a net gain of six questions if I'd just left my choices alone- and that's pretty close to what I need to get where I want to be. It's possible that this one test was a fluke, but I'm going to take a new test ASAP in which I am banned from changing answers unless I'm 100% positive my choice is wrong (e.g. I am sure misread or missed an EXCEPT in the question stem). It might be helpful to try a test or two with notes to see if you find any similar trends.

• helmholtz99helmholtz99 Core Member
    71 karma

Same here! Taking in Nov and exactly 4-5 below what I need/want. I'm doing the fool proof LG method to pick up those pts because I'm not at 0/-1 yet. Also taking about a PT a day when possible after work. Lmk if you want to partner up somehow.

• jgotlb18jgotlb18 Member
    129 karma

@lilpingling Thanks for your advice! I actually noticed this too, but to a lighter degree than which you explain. This is so fundamental to just trust your gut - IMO, the 80/20 rule always reigns supreme. 80% of the time, your first guess is right. Thanks!

• lilpinglinglilpingling Member
    edited October 2020 638 karma

@jgotlb18 For the record, I just did a full BR and forced myself to change answers only when I was 100% positive they were wrong and guess what I did? Left 2 wrong answers uncorrected and made 2 right answers wrong. If I'd just left it alone I would've been at -2 for LR instead of -4. So I'm pretty much never going to change a LR question again.

That said, I do advocate for changing LG answers because those I do correct appropriately. The good news is, I'm down to an average of about -2 on both LR and LG (-0 LG when I have unlimited time). The bad news is, my reading is all over the place. I think that's where I'm going to try to focus moving forward. I read 38 books last year, but apparently I'm unable to understand the main point of a 4 paragraph article. Go figure.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

@lilpingling said:
    @jgotlb18 For the record, I just did a full BR and forced myself to change answers only when I was 100% positive they were wrong and guess what I did? Left 2 wrong answers uncorrected and made 2 right answers wrong. If I'd just left it alone I would've been at -2 for LR instead of -4. So I'm pretty much never going to change a LR question again.

That said, I do advocate for changing LG answers because those I do correct appropriately. The good news is, I'm down to an average of about -2 on both LR and LG (-0 LG when I have unlimited time). The bad news is, my reading is all over the place. I think that's where I'm going to try to focus moving forward. I read 38 books last year, but apparently I'm unable to understand the main point of a 4 paragraph article. Go figure.

Lol, same. I was actually looking forward to RC because I assumed it would be my best section but somehow when I’m doing it timed I forget how to read properly?? I just feel like I don’t pick up on what the ACs are looking for. It’s the insignificant stuff that sticks with me.