Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for moving from mid 150's to mid 160's

oagui023oagui023 Member
in General 159 karma

Hi everyone,

I've been practice testing in the 155-157 range for a couple of weeks now and my goal score is mid 160's for November. Any tips you guys can share would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you.

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

Hey there,
    What are you current section breakdowns? And your current studying method?

• oagui023oagui023 Member
    159 karma

Hey,

Currently:

My last 5 PT's have been the following:

PT. 74 156 - LR (-5), LG (-10), RC (-10)

PT. 75 156 - LR (-6), LG (-12), RC (-7)

PT. 76 157 - LR (-7), LG (-8), RC (-9)

PT. 78 160 - LR (-8), LG (-4), RC (-9)

PT. 79 152 - LR (-7), LG (-11), RC (-13) (This was my worst PT to date. I got destroyed by both RC and LG on this one. Also, had like a midway freakout during RC where I literally forgot how to read lol.

My current method is basically studying everyday with maybe one day off. I try to take 2 PT's a week. After every PT I do BR, especially for LR and LG (if there was a game I couldn't do). I've heard that improving on LG is the most realistic section so I've been drilling games everyday. For example, yesterday I did three different games sections (around like 12 games in total).

On days that I'm not taking a PT then BR I try to do games and focus on LR types that give me problems, like NA. I also try to take the odd RC standalone timed section but I just feel like RC is such a gamble sometimes that it all depends on whether or not I can grasp what I'm reading.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

• alorence119alorence119 Member
    35 karma

I am in the same range but after looking at your breakdown, you need to focus on LG. That is the most 'learnable' and you are missing too many! I'm excited for you. It's so possible to get -1 or -0 on LG, especially with 7sage.

• alorence119alorence119 Member
    35 karma

If you are up for it, I would love to do a preptest review. LR is where I am struggling and my RC scores are similar but LG -4 usually

2464 karma

As mentioned above, you’re quickest route to the 160’s would be by picking up points in LG. I'd keep foolproofing but make sure you're not just memorizing the games, instead focus on the inferences- seeing as those are what recur over and over again. When you're BR'ing practice drawing out every possible inference you can. Also for RC be sure to BR properly- take the two passages that you struggled with the most and write up low res/high res, MP, tone, attitude, structure. Once you start answering questions be sure to write an explanation for any answer choice you can’t easily eliminate with solid reason.

• oagui023oagui023 Member
    159 karma

Thank you so much for the comments on this one. I really appreciate it and will make note of everything that's been mentioned.

• I'll recommend you to take LG by type. LG is the easiest and quickest one to make progress. I took LG Volume3 and improved from -8 to -2 in maximum. We have the similar range and goal but your breakdown is really better than mine as a whole. Fight on!

• 62 karma

@Logician said:
    As mentioned above, you’re quickest route to the 160’s would be by picking up points in LG. I'd keep foolproofing but make sure you're not just memorizing the games, instead focus on the inferences- seeing as those are what recur over and over again. When you're BR'ing practice drawing out every possible inference you can. Also for RC be sure to BR properly- take the two passages that you struggled with the most and write up low res/high res, MP, tone, attitude, structure. Once you start answering questions be sure to write an explanation for any answer choice you can’t easily eliminate with solid reason.

Hello - can you elaborate a bit more on how to BR properly for RC? Or what video(s) I should reference to learn more? I don't know what you mean by low res/high res, MP for main point right? And I'm not exactly sure what you mean by finding tone, attitude and structure. Definitely struggling with pulling all those things out as I'm reading the RC passages...

2464 karma

Hey there @daisyharding08 sure thing! This is not to say this is the only way to properly BR RC, just one of the many ways that i've found effective.

So I actually got this strategy from @"Lucas Carter". And pretty much what you do is, after each RC section you take, pick the two passages that you found the most difficult/struggled with the most. Then you write out a low and high res summary as well as other things such as main point, authors tone/attitude, structure of the passage etc. Then when you're doing doing the questions be sure to write out an explanation for each answer choice and also try to have a prediction in mind after reading the stem. All of this is done untimed of course, during blind review. If you want more details here's the link to the original post, as well as the meaning behind low and high res summaries.

https://7sage.com/lesson/the-memory-method-for-improving-lsat-reading-comprehension/
    https://7sage.com/lesson/focus-on-a-low-resolution-summary/
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/148951

• 62 karma

@Logician said:
    Hey there @daisyharding08 sure thing! This is not to say this is the only way to properly BR RC, just one of the many ways that i've found effective.

So I actually got this strategy from @"Lucas Carter". And pretty much what you do is, after each RC section you take, pick the two passages that you found the most difficult/struggled with the most. Then you write out a low and high res summary as well as other things such as main point, authors tone/attitude, structure of the passage etc. Then when you're doing doing the questions be sure to write out an explanation for each answer choice and also try to have a prediction in mind after reading the stem. All of this is done untimed of course, during blind review. If you want more details here's the link to the original post, as well as the meaning behind low and high res summaries.

https://7sage.com/lesson/the-memory-method-for-improving-lsat-reading-comprehension/
    https://7sage.com/lesson/focus-on-a-low-resolution-summary/
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/148951

Thank you so much!!

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

Every time you get an LG problem wrong, redo the whole game 5 times like JY said. LG is the most memorizable. With that brute force method, I got down to -0/-1. That is the quickest, most efficient way I think you can do it.