Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling discouraged-poor PT

gigi_m1308gigi_m1308 Alum Member
in General 149 karma

Hey guys-I need some advice after just receiving the lowest score on a PT that I have ever gotten (pre-BR). I just took PT 39 flex and the difference from my pre and post BR score is 11 points and I was not expecting that. I am registered for the November LSAT but after this review, I am feeling so discouraged and beaten down. I have put in SO much work and I know I am capable of reaching my ideal score in BR but after seeing how big of a difference there was between my two scores on this test- I don't know what to do. I would really appreciate any advice/guidance at all (seriously, any).
I would appreciate advice on how to bridge the gap between my pre and post BR scores. It seems like my worst section is RC and I know that is the toughest to improve on in a short amount of time so I have been putting more of my focus on LG/LR and I have been seeing improvements, so I think I did the right thing?? Give me your thoughts.
Also, do I postpone my test until January? I was planning on applying in December but getting a good score is of the utmost importance for me mostly because my GPA is right at median for my target school.

I greatly appreciate any help!!!! I would also be willing to give more details in private messages if needed.

November test???
  1. Should I take test in November?35 votes
    1. Yes
      48.57%
    2. No
      51.43%

Comments

• sammychewssammychews Member
    210 karma

I'm legit in the exact same boat as you, and I TOTALLY feel the same. I'm also registered for Nov. and I've been studying full-time since June. I've made a 14 point gain from my diagnostic BUT I've recently been stuck in a 9-10 point gap between my actual and BR test scores (and my goal score falls in my BR score range). I've consulted others on closing this gap, and honestly the biggest thing I've been told is to get faster and more accurate you must continue practicing over and over under timed conditions.

My worst section is also RC, so I've been using the the 7Sage RC problem sets (2 timed passages per set) to drill RC and get more familiar with question types there! I'm planning on taking the Nov. test + using score preview, then reassessing from there. Just wanted to reaffirm that you're not alone in this feeling, and the hard work will pay off. Keep pushing!

Definitely open to hearing other advice!

• garbage.floodgarbage.flood Member
    edited October 2020 186 karma

I say take November. If you switch your test date, you'll still have to pay $125 to reschedule or you'll get a $50 refund. That's $325-350 spent on one test vs. $400 spent on two. If you have the money, I would take November as scheduled. You can always cancel the score if it goes really horribly, but even that probably won't be necessary. Many students take the test multiple times and most schools care only about your highest score.

This will benefit you in several ways: first, it'll take a little pressure off knowing your future doesn't hinge on the results of the November test. You'll be more calm during the study process and a little more calm during the test as well. Counts for a lot. Besides, you might surprise yourself!

Second, because November is not the end of the line you can feel more comfortable taking a break now. 2 days. 2 weeks. Whatever you think you need. It sounds to me like you've been pushing pretty hard. That's awesome, but you don't want to burn out.

Regarding your choice to work primarily on your stronger areas: I think it's smart. Throw in an RC passage at least every other day though. Get more comfortable reading at that breathless speed. If your problem is timing, make sure that the answers you do attempt are correct. Maybe you don't get to the last passage... so, what? As long as you got -0 on those you read you'll be solid. You need good testing strategy here. I would recommend getting a sense of the subject matter you feel best about/tend to perform the best on. Read that passage first when you PT to get that low hanging fruit. And in your free time, read articles about subject matter that is less comfortable for you.

As for the BR/PT gap... that's gonna be a reality for probably as long as you study. As you get better at answering the questions both your BR and PT scores will go up. You may not even see that gap close until you're testing 165 and beyond. Don't fret. What's important is that you're able to recognize when you've made an error. This is where you'll make your greatest gains.

Hope all this helps =)

• bellahyeon14bellahyeon14 Member
    258 karma

I thought rescheduling was free. 125 dollars? Really?

• gigi_m1308gigi_m1308 Alum Member
    149 karma

@sammychews I really appreciate your comment and I am so happy I am not alone with this! I am trying to not let this one PT get me down because I know feeling sorry for myself is quite unproductive. The good thing is that we still have a good bit of time until the November test to improve on our timing and on sections we need the most help with. I want to wish you the best of luck on the remainder of your studying- I know you will do fantastic in November! ☺️

149 karma

@"garbage.flood" thank you so much for your comment and words of encouragement- you really snapped me out of my self pity lol I think I have been putting too much pressure on this November test which ultimately makes me more anxious whenever I take a PT and could be contributing to my timing issues and score gap. I obviously need to make sure that doesn't happen when I take the actual test. I will definitely start to implement some of your strategies and thank you so much again for your comment!!

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

@sammychews said:
    I'm legit in the exact same boat as you, and I TOTALLY feel the same. I'm also registered for Nov. and I've been studying full-time since June. I've made a 14 point gain from my diagnostic BUT I've recently been stuck in a 9-10 point gap between my actual and BR test scores (and my goal score falls in my BR score range). I've consulted others on closing this gap, and honestly the biggest thing I've been told is to get faster and more accurate you must continue practicing over and over under timed conditions.

My worst section is also RC, so I've been using the the 7Sage RC problem sets (2 timed passages per set) to drill RC and get more familiar with question types there! I'm planning on taking the Nov. test + using score preview, then reassessing from there. Just wanted to reaffirm that you're not alone in this feeling, and the hard work will pay off. Keep pushing!

Definitely open to hearing other advice!

I'm in the exact same boat, been studying full time since June and have only increased my score about 10 points from my diagnostic though. I've been stuck at a darn 160 for months. But I'm BRing into the 170s. So frustrating. I find that when I try to go faster during the tests, I make stupid mistakes/don't read as closely

• futurejaboterfuturejaboter Member
    42 karma

@bellahyeon14 said:
    I thought rescheduling was free. 125 dollars? Really?

For the November LSAT-Flex a registration change is free. They give you a coupon to use for any of the other tests in this cycle! I'm registered for November too, good luck to all!

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited October 2020 905 karma

My score dipped significantly with PT39 also ... and then went up 14 points for PT40!?! My actual/BR range for 39 was 9 points and it was pretty much even with the other PTs I'd taken. So that made me think of PT39 as a 'lesson-giving' fluke. And it makes me monitor my BR score more, since those drops in the 'actual' score are SO devastating to the self esteem!! I figure that if my BR score is fairly consistent or improving slightly, that I'm at least on track and/or not regressing (hopefully!). Good luck. But, you're not alone with that one test. :)
    It might then be that the other PTs you've taken are a better representation of your test day potential.

149 karma

@hopefulling I was wondering the same thing about PT39, it seemed like the only test where my actual score has ever dropped so low, causing my score difference to be so high- so frustrating! I just took PT40 and my score bumped back up so I guess that makes sense. Thank you for your comment and the feedback!!!

149 karma

@yamstrust thank you, that is so helpful! I think I am going to stick with the November test anyways. I took PT40 today and my score and the BR score difference improved significantly. Hopefully it stays that way when I take the next PT tomorrow (pray for me). Good luck in November! You got this 👍🏻

149 karma

@kilgoretrout I have noticed a similar theme in my score when I go fast. I guess I will just have to be more efficient with my time. Best of luck to you on your studies!

• garbage.floodgarbage.flood Member
    edited October 2020 186 karma

@gigi_m1308 glad I could help in some small way. And it looks like @yamstrust is right! The change fees don't apply to Flex. Sweet. That being the case, I say hold off on deciding until you absolutely need to. Take a mini break and see how you do on the next one. And don't sweat it if you decide to hold off until January. You want that high score!

• Honestly I relate to this so much. I took a prep test and my score dropped two points below my diagnostic, and I was feeling discouraged. So I took 2 weeks off of studying and then took another prep test and my score went up. With all that being said, you may just be experiencing burn out. I would try taking a week off and then taking another PT and maybe your score will go up, but definitely take the November test if your PT average has been great overall.

RC was also my worst section. However, my tutor taught me a strategy that made me go from a -14 RC average to -3. So basically when you are reading RC passages, break each sentence down one by one and ask yourself what the main point of each of the sentences is. For example, read the sentence, and then cover it up and try to recite what the sentence is about from memory. Over time you will find that you will start becoming better at retaining what you read, and in turn that will help you with the questions. I really hope this helps!

• amandaghuntamandaghunt Member
    23 karma

I was in the same boat! I took two days off to completely reset and give myself a break. Then I started straight into practice sets again, no tests at all for a week & it went back up. It still isn't back up to my best score, but I'm taking it day by day.

• masimasi Alum Member
    170 karma

@garbage.flood
    you have until oct/31 to opt out of Nov Flex and receive a coupon to be applied to a future exam.

• masimasi Alum Member
    170 karma

@gigi_m1308

Some people have spend 3 months and have gotten a high score (165+) and some have spend 18 months to get that similar score.

The LSAT is unfortunately gives an advantage to those whose first language or mother tongue is English. I've read a published article by LSAC that has stated "the test is consistently harder for those of minority background".

However, this does not mean that as a minority you cannot do good. It just means you have to put in more work.

Ellen Cassidy the author of "The loophole" got a 170+ after only two months of studying.

What is point in all of this?

Some people see results way faster than others and some people are slower than others.

The reason why LSAT is weighted so heavily by law schools is because it is the great equaliser.

You can take your time to achieve the highest possible score, as long as you put in the time and are not discouraged.

So don't be discouraged by your low mark. It just means your not ready yet, but you will be.

149 karma

@amandaghunt thank you for your comment! I took a break this weekend to recharge and I hope that my next PT score reflects that. I have been doing a lot of problems sets and scoring really well so fingers crossed!!

149 karma

@masi thank you so much for your comment! I completely agree with you. Everyone learns at a different pace and I just have to remember that I may be someone who needs more time and practice