Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to differentiate similar question stem in LR?

arunima.b12arunima.b12 Core Member

Does anyone have a good explanation for how to differentiate between the question stem for the following LR topics:
1) MSS vs Strength
2) NA vs SA vs PSA
3) Weaken vs Flaw
4) Principle vs Strength

I tend to confuse the question stems a lot for these categories, anyone have an advice on how I can stop making this mistake?

Thank you!

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited October 2020 4306 karma

1) MSS will have a question stem that represents the flow of support from the passage to the answer choice ; Which one of the following is most supported by the statements above.
    1A) Strengthen will have a question that represents the flow of support from the answer choices to the passage ; Which one of the following would strengthen the argument.
    I use to get these two confused a lot until I paid more attention to the flow of support versus the wording.

2) NA uses words like require, depend, rely ; Which one of the following is an assumption that the argument depends on. SA uses words like follows logically or properly drawn ; Which one of the following is an assumption that allows the conclusion to be properly drawn. PSA uses words like justify or principle ; Which one of the following principles, if accepted, would provide the most justification for the conclusion?
    3) Weaken uses words like most seriously weakens or cast the most doubt ; Which one of the following cast the most doubt on the authors assumption? Flaw uses words like error of reasoning or most vulnerable to criticism ; The reasoning in the argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it.
    Keep in mind that there is also flaw/descriptive weakening.

4) Principle uses words like best illustrated by or conforms to the following principle ; Which one of the following judgements conforms to the principles invoked above?

The best way to get familiar with LR stems is by drilling them!
    https://7sage.com/lesson/quiz-on-logical-reasoning-question-stems-first-half/

Also check out how these stems are related;
    https://7sage.com/lesson/how-lr-question-stems-are-related/