LSAT - Retake and/or Addendum?

in General 38 karma

Hi all,

I have take the LSAT 6 times -- 4 times years ago (158-160) each time. This cycle, I improved to a high score of a 165. Should I write an addendum to explain the increase in score?

Similarly, I have one opportunity to retake this cycle, but am not confident I will improve. Will it hurt me if I re-take the exam and perform worse?

Comments

• jcalzonejcalzone Member
    11 karma

Hey there, I attended a mock admissions consortium through LSAC last night and one dean of admissions suggested that you should write an addendum if you have more than two LSAT scores. Retaking depends on your choice school's median score and how you place on that scale. But while they see all your scores in your CAS report, most law schools will typically only take your highest score, so that's in your favor. Another dean mentioned that a "competitive score" ranges 10 points from the median score and they take a holistic approach to your entire application. So it's never solely based on your LSAT score, but a consideration of your GPA, LORs, and a compelling Personal Statement. I also am under the impression that you can only take the LSAT 7 times in your lifetime. No matter what you decide to do, great job on scoring 165! That's certainly competitive and impressive. I hope this helped!

• masimasi Alum Member
    170 karma

starting from 2019 June the count began. If you took LSAT prior to this it does not count towards your lifetime of 7. I would say take it and be confident that you will do well.

• 1952 karma

the count only begins starting with the sept. 2019 administration. furthermore, the flex tests up until the august 2020 one will not count. if you've taken the lsat years ago, they may not count (depending on the year that you took them).

https://www.lsac.org/about/lsac-policies/limits-on-repeating-lsat#:~:text=starting with the september 2019,reports scores to law schools

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I want to add this. If a 165 is way over your current average and you do not expect to improve than hold pat. If not, nothing wrong with another take because of the reasons mentioned above.