Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I even still apply?

kes22284kes22284 Alum Member

Having a bad day. Sorry if this post dredges up anxiety for anyone else.

I have finished all my application materials, but all 3 of my current LORs are still being worked on by my professors. I also really really want a letter from my last boss, but she hasn't been replying to my messages and I've been at it for days. At this rate, I easily might not be able to submit my apps until mid November.

My stats are 174/3.5, URM. My GPA was in the top 30ish % of my class. I'm worried that by applying late, even if I do get into some decent schools I will be doing myself a disservice by accepting. I'm sorry if this comes off as neurotic, but I'm desperate for some perspective. How deleterious is applying in November really?

Comments

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

I can say that you have a GREAT lsat score and solid GPA! so be confident in that. I applied as early as I could and had my letters ready to go before apps opened. I don't think applying in November is going to hurt you. Based on the schools that i've applied to, I have two acceptances and a WL and haven't heard from another 7. My WL school told me they are waiting for more apps because it has been a hectic cycle. My two acceptances both haven't finalized financial aid because they are also waiting for more apps as they told me. I think because of COVID everything has gotten a late start and if you still apply in November, you are plenty early and have a good shot for scholarships. This is just my experience and opinion though! Others may think it's different right now.

• cpeaks13cpeaks13 Core Member
    496 karma

@kes22284 sorry if this is a dumb question but why is nov so bad!? I am applying in nov and now freaking out lol....im in Canada so not sure if its different where you are? now I'm worried lol

• kes22284kes22284 Alum Member
    edited October 2020 34 karma

@cpeaks13 said:
    @kes22284 sorry if this is a dumb question but why is nov so bad!? I am applying in nov and now freaking out lol....im in Canada so not sure if its different where you are? now I'm worried lol

Most schools in the US accept on a rolling basis, so it's objectively better to apply early. How much so I'm not really sure.

@TimeIsMoney said:

Thank you for your perspective!

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

November is a perfectly fine time to apply! I don’t think admissions committees consider November to be late in the slightest, as a matter of fact I would say it’s still on the early end.

496 karma

@Logician right!? that was my understanding as well....obviously the earlier the better, but I don't think November is a big deal!

• ineedbrunchineedbrunch Member
    93 karma

you're fine.
    get your letters from people who know you best & can attest to your ability to preform at work or in the classroom. once you get those submit. take this extra time to review your personal statements again. im sure theres something you can fix.

496 karma

did anyone pay for the 7sage personal statement edit? Ive finished mine and think its decent, have been debating getting it edited on here...

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

do it! i highly recommend their admissions and essay consultants!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    edited October 2020 2054 karma

@kes22284 said:
    Having a bad day.

This is literally just your anxiety. There is zero reason not to apply. Any time before Thanksgiving is considered early. You have incredible stats and incredible odds at any school.

https://7sage.com/predictor/

The predictor gives you a 20% chance at Yale applying in December and a 46% at Harvard. 59% or higher at everywhere in the T14 besides HYS and Penn in December.

Relax. You have this. I feel you, I feel the same way (though I can only wish I had odds like that in the T14). But relax.