Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What helped you with timing on LR? - 7Sage Forum

What helped you with timing on LR?

kpnobregkpnobreg Member
in General 28 karma

I have been studying for 4 months, understand LR well, (get about -4 to -5 wrong on it after BR, usually the last questions), but on the actual test I can NEVER and I mean NEVER get past #17. It feels like a curse at this point. So of course I automatically end up missing around 8-10 every time. ANY advice would be great!!! Also, i'm taking Nov flex.

Comments

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

I also had this issue. I suffered from it on the July flex. I also studied about 4 months. My advice to you would be to not overthink every answer. That was my problem and why i always missed the last 8 or so questions. In the first 17, go with your gut and don't keep reviewing the questions. It was a habit i could never get out of. Do your best to avoid overthinking and trust all the studying and time you have put in!!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8485 karma

My opinion is that speed is a product of proficiency. You can't force it... to borrow a shooting analogy, you can't miss fast enough to win. Especially early on (I also think 4 months is early), timing shouldn't be a primary focus. -5 is good, but that still means that given an unlimited amount of time, your conceptual understanding still allows you to miss 20% of the section. Focus on strict BR then get as deep as you can on anything that gave you a hint of trouble... speed will come.

• 1952 karma

i also think 4 months is early. i agree with ^ that there's much value left from a thorough br.
    in terms of timing, you might also want to develop timing/skipping strategies later on in your prep. i think you need to develop a good sense of your confidence levels (i.e. how confident you are with the question after answering them). not all questions are created equal, but they are weighed equal. you need to spend less time on the easier questions and bank in more time to be able to finish the section (and on the harder questions). your confidence level will be one of the indicators for that. good luck!

• ekim06ekim06 Core Member
    3 karma

Had the same issue. Something that has helped me has been keeping an eye on the clock (but not too much that it becomes a distraction) and ensuring that I don't waste too much time contemplating a difficult question. You have 35 minutes to answer 25 questions, roughly 1 min and 30 seconds a question. Try to keep that in your mind and execute it. What I aim for is 45 seconds to read the question and 45 seconds to answer it. Any longer you should guess and move on. Of course you might answer some questions faster, leaving you more time for others and vice versa.

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6868 karma

you can't miss fast enough to win

I laughed. Great way to put it.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Yes to what everyone else has said, and definitely practice flagging, clicking a placeholder guess, and skipping. You really need to skip time-sink questions if you aren't able to complete the section. It's like giving yourself back 1-2 minutes per skipped question. Very worth it if you can get even 3-4 extra points in your 35 minutes!

• 109 karma

Try starting at Q17 and show that curse who's boss.