Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is it realistic that I'll get over 160 on the November test

horsegirl.jpeghorsegirl.jpeg Alum Member

I'm writing the November test and I'm around 157-159 on PTs because I'm still slow/not consistent in LG. LG feels like math and I'm terrible at math. I will likely write again in January but I'm trying to decide if I should grind super hard in the next week or just accept that I'll be writing the January test and not burn myself out. I want a 160 at minimum.

Comments

• IzzyVar55IzzyVar55 Member
    120 karma

I am in the same boat. Keep pushing we got this!!!!!

• 769 karma

My average PT score was a 157 and I got a 164 on the test so I think you can get at least a 160

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Realistic? Sure. Expected, no. I think you should expect about a 3 point test day penalty, so ideally you'd be PTing a bit above your target score. The good news is that everything going your way on test day is definitely possible, and games is probably the easiest place to make quick gains.

• LawBound-1LawBound-1 Yearly Member
    edited November 2020 90 karma

Hi Sophie! I was in the same boat and decided to postpone till January and currently considering postponing another year. My highest PT was a 162/169 BR and I got a 156 on the October test. I would not bank on getting a 160, and I personally decided to reschedule from November till January to not overstress myself.

Take into consideration that schools also care about how many times you take the LSAT and cancel your score. That's another reason I decided to wait.

Just things to consider and good luck.

• nanabillannanabillan Member
    347 karma

I think you can do it! And no, I do not think schools care how many times you take it. With the flex before October-Flex, those flex's were not being counted toward limits.
    Besides, with this cycle and so many applicants, schools are trying to milk the highest score for their ABA reports.

I think the trend used to be that they looked closely as to how many times you took the LSAT but not anymore.

Keep working hard and if not November, you will definitely get 160+ in January!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Take and see what you can do. You never know. My BR partner ended up with a 180 and she certainly was not averaging that. I got several points below my average, which I think is more typical. You do not know though, and I think that the Flexes do not count towards your lifetime limits. Take both, if nothing else the October one will show you what the January will look like.

• cjb297cjb297 Member
    43 karma

There's no reason not to do both. Until about two weeks ago, I was right around where you are. I've been doing 1-2 PT everyday usually and now I usually score in the mid 160s with a personal best of 167.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited November 2020 905 karma

Some of the Canadian schools do take an average of your PT scores (since they're not bound by the US rankings (I think?). (I'm also assuming you're in Canada because you use the word 'write'). Also, Ivey's book does caution against a lot of takes, that schools start to judge people as 'score shopping' (mostly for those of us not at the top score level, but in the middle 60% that have to fight it out to get noticed by the admissions reader) - that we're better off waiting to get a single BEST score (two max). Even more so if in all the takes, the score doesn't jump up dramatically. Check with your schools' admissions people, to know for sure - especially to know whether they're a Canadian school that takes an average of multiple scores.

• VelawcityVelawcity Member
    40 karma

Absolutely, I scored 2 points above my PT average in October. I was in the same boat wondering if I should just push it back but I couldn't be happier that I took it when I did!

• horsegirl.jpeghorsegirl.jpeg Alum Member
    60 karma

@angiebelencervantes said:
    Hi Sophie! I was in the same boat and decided to postpone till January and currently considering postponing another year. My highest PT was a 162/169 BR and I got a 156 on the October test. I would not bank on getting a 160, and I personally decided to reschedule from November till January to not overstress myself.

Take into consideration that schools also care about how many times you take the LSAT and cancel your score. That's another reason I decided to wait.

Just things to consider and good luck.

Well January LSAT is my last chance for most Canadian schools and I want to write twice as I anticipate I may be quite nervous the first go around. I have already post-poned a few times I just want to get it done and over with.

• horsegirl.jpeghorsegirl.jpeg Alum Member
    60 karma

@VerdantZephyr said:
    Take and see what you can do. You never know. My BR partner ended up with a 180 and she certainly was not averaging that. I got several points below my average, which I think is more typical. You do not know though, and I think that the Flexes do not count towards your lifetime limits. Take both, if nothing else the October one will show you what the January will look like.

You can pay as a first time test taker to see your score before cancelling so there isn't much risk in me taking it besides having a cancelled score which I am not too concerned about since January is my last writing attempt for this admissions cycle.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@sophieswitzer said:

You can pay as a first time test taker to see your score before cancelling so there isn't much risk in me taking it besides having a cancelled score which I am not too concerned about since January is my last writing attempt for this admissions cycle.

Then I think you have your solution. It's certainly better to be able to cancel if you need to than risk a poor score