Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

At what score should I consider getting a tutor?

ValianthopeValianthope Core Member
in General 26 karma

Hi y'all!

I started doing my LSAT practice way back when. I felt like I hit a ceiling, then I tried 7sage and realized that I was gambling not solving. I have seen then BR religiously, doing the modules in my problem areas and seen the gains in my PT score. However, I wonder at what score should I consider a getting a tutor to focus to help me deal with my personnel individual problems?
If anyone could share their personal experience with tutors, it would be helpful!!!

Comments

• bleesfullbleesfull Member
    26 karma

I didn't get a tutor but am currently tutoring and my advice would be when you feel stuck. Tutor can really bring in a new perspective as she/he got the high score from efficient thought process that lsat values.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

While I personally haven't used a tutor I know multiple people who have, including tutors from 7Sage. The feedback I heard is that the tutors want to see you have completed the 7Sage curriculum and at the point where you are taking full PT's. As far as a score number I have also heard that they are generally looking to tutor students about 150 or above. Below that they seem to recommend students going back to the basics and working on either untimed fundamentals or work in sections. Prior to a tutor I would recommend trying a study group. I made amazing progress with a group!

• 1952 karma

i have used a tutor before. tutors can give you individual attention and teach you the stuff that lsat prep books and materials cannot teach you. i guess this makes sense, because the majority of test prep companies may want to target their audience to the general audience. some may not be able to help someone whose goal is to break into the 170s after they've reached a certain point.

i don't think there's a set score for it, but i recommend that you consider getting a tutor after you've tried everything that you could do alone (i.e. self-study). good tutors will diagnose your problems that you wouldn't otherwise be able to catch, recommend a plan of action, and help you execute it for a higher score. an experienced tutor will be able to diagnose your problems very accurately (i think this is a very important step) and have a bank of different plans of action to recommend. good luck!