Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Should I apply now ... or wait? - 7Sage Forum

Should I apply now ... or wait?

mgam1943mgam1943 Core Member

Hi everyone! I'm just looking for some advice/feedback.

I started my law school journey a little later than most of you, and wrote my first LSAT this past August with hopes of attending law school in the fall of 2021. I originally planned on only applying to Canadian schools, as I am a Canadian citizen, but I've extended my interests and plan to apply to some T14 schools. Harvard, Columbia, NYU, UC-Berkeley, Cornell, and Duke are some I've been exploring but have yet to apply to. I scored a 167 on my first LSAT but I expected to break into the 170s, so I registered for the November LSAT. However, I then had to switch to January's exam due to personal reasons.

So, my dilemma is: should I apply to these top schools now (even though my LSAT score is below medians for most) or should I wait until receiving my January LSAT score and apply in February? February is cutting it close, and my chances of admission may decrease, but I believe I can score well into the 170s. I have a pretty high GPA (a 4.25) and know that my personal statements/optional essays will give me a boost as well.

Any guidance and/or personal experience would be highly appreciated! :)

Comments

• garbage.floodgarbage.flood Member
    edited November 2020 186 karma

Tough one. Apparently numbers of applications and even high scores/GPAs are up by a lot this year. Read this: https://www.lawschoolexpert.com/the-most-competitive-law-school-admission-cycle-ever/.

If you absolutely MUST go to law school in 2021, I would send now. While applying later with a higher score may get you in to those school, you'll miss out on scholarship money. Is it possible for you to wait to apply Day 1 of next cycle? That way you can take the pressure off, get in to those schools AND get scholarship money to attend.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Well, you can always apply and let them know you're planning to retake the LSAT. Some schools may waitlist your application rather than reject it outright if they know you're retaking. I presume you're not interested in waiting till 2022 from your comment, so your choice is apply now as a reverse splitter or apply later with hopefully a median LSAT. I think you should play with the odds tracker but applying now seems better to me, especially if you'll be happy going to a Canadian law school anyway.

• mgam1943mgam1943 Core Member
    14 karma

Thank you both for your responses! The thought of waiting until 2022 did cross my mind, and it is certainly something I am going to consider more. Taking a year away from studies before going to law school may be beneficial in more ways than one, anyways. Thanks again :)

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

You're very welcome. I'd say do your best this year and if it doesn't work out try again next year. That's always an option whether you apply now or not.