Can't seem to get the last 6 questions of LR correct :- (

Hey guys,

I've been studying for long enough now that I have the general gist of LR and am getting around -9 to sometimes -5 on LR which is big for me. However, I have tried everything to attack those tough, often wordy or dense questions at the very tail end of the LR section that are meant to trip you up. I have tried spending extra time on those, starting with those questions at the beginning instead of waiting till my brain is tired at the end of the section, but I still seem to miss the last 5 questions without fail, even when i'm sure I got them mostly right. Can anyone suggest some tips here to help me out? Taking the test next week, and trying to help myself in any way I can right now to prepare. :-)

Comments

• 700miles700miles Member
    24 karma

HI Sophie, I'm in a similar boat! :)

Something I've tried is doing the first 10 or 12 questions, then working backwards.
    That's the Kaplan method, which made it so that I usually got a few right at the end

(however, Kaplan is really not a great LSAT study method so idk)

The drawback with this is that I get more wrong dispersed throughout, rather than all clumped at the end. I'd be curious to see what other tips or techniques ppl have tried!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2020 8313 karma

The back half is typically harder so it stands to reason you'd miss more in that range. Just based off of a range of -9 to -5 I would say stop worrying about where the questions are, and focus on:

1. engaging with each individual question as its own task.
    2. deep review on missed questions and your question type strategies.
    3. make sure you're good on foundational concepts... can you translate a stimulus and conditional logic without hesitation? Identify common flaws? Pick out argument components and assumptions?
    4. Skip when a question stalls your progress. Identify a set of triggers to skip... don't understand the stimulus after 2 passes, read all ACs and don't see an answer, etc..
  • elena-levelena-lev Member
    93 karma

One thing I would suggest is to see which question types you're getting wrong most often. For me, it's Argument Part (AP) and Parallel Reasoning (Para). Then create some problem sets for yourself that include harder questions that fall into those question categories — you can sort questions by type.

Once you get through a problem set, watch the review videos for the questions you got wrong. Then, redo the set of questions again! Keep doing it until you get all the questions right, then move onto the next question set.

Hope this helps!

• rb1010scmrb1010scm Member
    70 karma

What elena-lev said up there ^ is good advice. In addition to that, I want to mention that I personally benefited from starting at the end. I was having timing issues and those last 5 minutes when I have 6-7 questions left were pretty much impossible with the harder questions. I usually blow through the first 6 pretty quickly so starting at the end made it easy for me to focus on the harder questions and then get through the easy ones at the end. Another good strategy is the one that JR mentions, skipping trap questions that take up time. It's super easy to get stuck on the hard questions and waste time. Follow what elena said and you should get better at identifying the really tough ones.