Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few Résumé questions! Would be very grateful for some advice.

J. W. WhiteJ. W. White Yearly Member

Question1:
I have interned for 2 Republican state senators. I am applying to schools in more democratic areas. Should I include the names of the senators that I worked for?

Question 2:
I took classes that I think could make me look more diversified. Such as Gay and Lesbian Politics, Women and Politics, and Urban Politics. Should I include these?

Question 3:
One of my internships was part of a competitive university program. I have listed the name of the program as the title for my internship on my résumé. Should I also explain what the the program is? Or should I just list the duties involved?

And help would be great!

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Question 1 - yes you should include the names of the politicians

Question 2 - you know they have your transcript right? Why would this go on a resume?

Question 3 - you could briefly explain what the program was if you think it's helpful

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I would include the names

Unless you wrote like some thesis for one of the classes, I wouldnt put down the specific class

I wouldnt explain what the program is. I would lean more towards duties. I feel like adcoms would check anyway and would know. But if you do have space to spare, then it wouldnt hurt to explain. I dont think it would help much though

• edited November 2020 1952 karma

q1: i have interned for a u.s. senator, so i think i can relate.
    in my opinion, leaving out the name of the senator can be misleading or vague.
    in my case, i'd be saying that i worked at the "u.s. senate." what the heck does this mean? did you work for the senate or for a senate committee or at an office within the senate for a senator?
    regardless, law schools shouldn't discriminate students based on their political affiliation or who they worked for, unless maybe it's kim jong-un (also, working for rep state senators does not necessarily mean that you're a rep.)
    if anything, well, i think this can also go in the other way: schools in more dem areas might welcome people more from rep areas to enhance their school diversity.
    on a related note, i remember an admissions counselor say that "diversity" in new york or california can constitute different things than "diversity" in wyoming or utah.
    all in all, i think you should include the names of the senators that you worked for.

q2: nah i wouldn't, unless you want to make a clear connection between this and elsewhere in your app and if this info constitutes a major part in your app.

q3: if you think it's relevant/helpful info and you have the space to do it, i don't see how it would hurt.

just my two cents.
    good luck and happy thanksgiving!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I definitely agree with what was said about the first two points. Regarding the last point, the Dean of Admissions at Michigan discussed this recently. She feels strongly that if you are part of any society and it is not obvious what that society is make it clear on your resume. You do not need a long explanation, but you can make it clear in a bullet point or from context.

• J. W. WhiteJ. W. White Yearly Member
    40 karma

@VerdantZephyr @"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" @lexxx745 @noonawoon
    Thank you all for your help! I have taken everything into consideration and have altered my resume slightly because of your help. Also honored to see a reply from the LOWERCASE EVERYTHING legend.