Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shower Power

Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
edited December 2020 in General 1049 karma

Yes, I am suggesting you take a shower - First thing in the morning. I’m not suggesting this for cleanliness (though that is pretty important).

I want you to shower because it makes you alert - significantly more alert than before you shower. Be sure to get the the warm or hot water in your face. It revitalizes you and makes you less groggy.

Shower first thing in the morning every day - particularly when studying and before a PT. In addition, showering is a habit that you anchor in to reinforce that you’re ready for your day.

On days when I wait to get a few things done before showering, I inevitably realize I’m moving and thinking slower than I’d like - I need that shower to be more alert. This is even after a great night of sleep (and I’m all about sleep for peak performance).

Some people are “night showerers.” To them I recommend trying to shower in the morning - particularly with warm or hot water. You can keep your night shower, of course. But warm or hot shower in the morning will help make you alert.

Especially during Covid, people can feel inclined not to shower because they aren’t leaving the house. But don’t make this mistake. Give this a try. You’ll feel more alert. My students who try it definitely see the difference in PT scores and ability to focus while studying! I literally had a student tell me it changed her life :)

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I agree. Although im a bigger fan of freezing cold showers in the morning

I feel like a hot shower in the morning might make me drowsy

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

And, well ... now imagine that you have A LOT of long hair that takes a very LONG time to dry ...

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@hopefulling said:
    And, well ... now imagine that you have A LOT of long hair that takes a very LONG time to dry ...

Keeps you extra alert each time the cold hair touches your skin! So you get even longer lasting alertness :)

• 1952 karma

@lexxx745
    whoa. you have my utmost respect.

• jamw881619jamw881619 Member
    42 karma

Agreed! And if possible get a workout in before your shower.

• Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma

@lexxx745 said:

I read in a couple articles that colder showers signal it's time for the body to rest so those are better for before bed.

But who knows, it may be different for different people.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@"Quick Silver" said:

@lexxx745 said:

I read in a couple articles that colder showers signal it's time for the body to rest so those are better for before bed.

But who knows, it may be different for different people.

I was doing the wim hof method and it really helped. Not just with studying but general stress/anxiety.

Im not familiar with the actual research but practically i feel like a cold shower must wake you up more than a hot one. Ive never heard of someone doing a freezing cold shower in the morning and wanting to go to sleep after. Im not familiar with hot showers though, so to each their own